PDA

View Full Version : Penfield man receives medal for Vietnam War heroism

thedrifter
07-22-08, 06:41 AM
July 22, 2008

Penfield man receives medal for Vietnam War heroism

John Boccacino
Staff writer

Nearly four decades have passed since Army Spc. Richard Lynch led a dramatic helicopter rescue of three grievously wounded Marines in Vietnam, but the memories of that night are permanently stamped in his brain.

Not a day goes by when Lynch, a Penfield resident, doesn't think of Sept. 19, 1969. In the midst of a heavy monsoon season and during a nighttime firefight, the Army combat medic's low-flying helicopter encountered enemy fire over Quang Nam Province.

Despite being barraged by mortar fire, Lynch managed to rescue and provide first aid for the Marines. On Monday, Lynch was honored for his bravery, receiving the Navy Commendation Medal with "V" device for valor.

"The medal is nice, and the recognition is more than I ever expected," said Lynch, 60. "They were human beings, and if the shoe (was on the other foot), there wasn't one person who wouldn't do it to help. I felt I was obligated to do what I was trained to do. Was I scared? Sure."

Of the 27 air medals Lynch earned during his military career, none took longer to arrive than this one, which Lynch received at the Rochester Vet Center before family members, friends and several military members.

"Saving their lives while under mortar fire ... is incredible," said Col. Doug Shipman of the Army's 98th Division, who pinned the medal on the upper-left lapel of Lynch's suit.

The medal consists of a green ribbon with white striping down each side leading to a six-sided gold medal with an eagle in the center, its wings spread.

Ken Moore, president of the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 20, was largely responsible for the recognition of Lynch's bravery. Moore spent eight years working to ensure that Lynch's actions were properly celebrated.

"We have a brotherhood. We all look out for these guys, and my mission in life is to help my brothers. That's what I do. ... It's a labor of love," said Moore, a Hilton resident.

"Through true persistence, we got him this award, and it's what he deserves. Dick went way above and beyond the call of duty."

Lynch actually received the medal by mail three weeks ago, but Moore wasn't satisfied. He thought Lynch deserved more recognition, so the fellow Vietnam veteran organized Monday's ceremony.

"I had even given up, but Kenny didn't. He just kept going," said Lynch, who was 21 when he rescued the injured Marines. "I don't know how he did it; I don't want to know how he did it. I'm just thankful that there are people like Kenny who are there for all the vets."

After he had received the award, with wife Jackie by his side, tears welled up in Lynch's eyes. Lynch and Moore shared an emotional hug and those in attendance gave Lynch a round of applause.

"We consider Dick to be a true hero. It was an outstanding thing he did that day," Moore said.

"A lot of people today think heroes are basketball players or football players, but Dick is a true hero."

JBOCCACI@DemocratandChronicle.com

Ellie