PDA

View Full Version : New Marine Requesting knowledge

Ryan1234
07-20-08, 03:05 PM
Just graduated July 11th Fox Company. I have some questions about MCT. My first one is. Are Cell Phones allowed? I have heard they were and were not and would just like to get the official scoop. Another question i have is my Mos is 3531 Motor vehicle operator. I was 0300 before my recruiter screwed me over. I have heard after two years you can change your MOS is that true or BS.

Anyways thanks Marines.

Wyoming
07-20-08, 03:11 PM
Cell phones - this has been discussed many times, and as this is a Marine
Forum, and not official, why don't you ask your 1st Sgt?

Recruiter screwed you over? How, make you close your eyes when you signed your contract?

Somehow, and I hope this isn't true, but you sound like the beginnings of a 10%er.

yellowwing
07-20-08, 03:17 PM
Congratulations! Did you pick up any rank at Boot Camp?

Semper Fi Marine :usmc:

Ryan1234
07-20-08, 03:23 PM
Cell phones - this has been discussed many times, and as this is a Marine
Forum, and not official, why don't you ask your 1st Sgt?

Recruiter screwed you over? How, make you close your eyes when you signed your contract?

Somehow, and I hope this isn't true, but you sound like the beginnings of a 10%er.

Basically this is what happened. A week before i went to bootcamp my recruiter calls me and tells me i have good and bad news. The good news is he got me a 10,000 bonus. I said thats sweet.The bad news is that Infantry is not available. I said well how is that posssible, I already signed the contract for it. He said it was full. So me being an idiot i said well whatever 3531 doesnt sound bad. I trusted that my recruiter was being honest. Turned out he was lying and told me infantry was full because he was told by his command that he needed to sign people for Motor T. the way i found this out is because at Meps after i signed the contract i talked to a couple other poolees and asked them what there MOS's were. Turns out some of them got infantry even though it was supposedly full. So yeah thats how i got screwed.

Ryan1234
07-20-08, 03:24 PM
Congratulations! Did you pick up any rank at Boot Camp?

Semper Fi Marine :usmc:

Nope just Private but im on Recruiters Assistance and have 2 people going to join. One being my brother.

ecfree
07-20-08, 03:56 PM
Hey Ryan,when did you graduate boot camp,and which one ?
I can't beleave a recruiter would do that...:D

CHOPPER7199
07-20-08, 04:15 PM
Well, Take Motor T, Riding Beats Humping, Take It From An Old Grunt. You Can Go Grunt After 2 Yrs, I Do Believe

SGT7477
07-20-08, 04:44 PM
Just graduated July 11th Fox Company. I have some questions about MCT. My first one is. Are Cell Phones allowed? I have heard they were and were not and would just like to get the official scoop. Another question i have is my Mos is 3531 Motor vehicle operator. I was 0300 before my recruiter screwed me over. I have heard after two years you can change your MOS is that true or BS.

Anyways thanks Marines.

Congrats and welcome to our beloved Corps.:flag:

thedrifter
07-20-08, 06:56 PM
Congratulations Marine!

Ellie

Whizdumb
07-20-08, 07:02 PM

Anyways thanks Marines.

When is your report date to MCT? You may find yourself in my platoon. And no, cell phones are not allowed during the training evolution (29 days). As for your MOS, it is true, after 2 years at your first duty station you may now request a lateral move to an open MOS. However, if you are pursuing an 03 field, you will end up right back at the School Of Infantry for your ITB training and specialty school.

CplKJSpevak
07-20-08, 07:49 PM
When is your report date to MCT? You may find yourself in my platoon. .

My recruiter was my platoon Sgt. at MCT, You believe that SH*T?:beer:

CplKJSpevak
07-20-08, 08:02 PM

Devil dog if you wanted Bonuses and Gaurantees you should have joined the Army.( I feel like I've said this many times on here already) AND YOU GOT 10 GRAND FOR JOINING THE CORPS? SWEET JESUS!!........Count your blessings and Good luck!

SGT7477
07-20-08, 08:13 PM
Devil dog if you wanted Bonuses and Gaurantees you should have joined the Army.( I feel like I've said this many times on here already) AND YOU GOT 10 GRAND FOR JOINING THE CORPS? SWEET JESUS!!........Count your blessings and Good luck!

You got that right brother.:flag:

sparkie
07-20-08, 09:08 PM
That 'Might be better than open contract" But what do I know..... It's your desert,,,, eat it. Congrats, Marine.

Quinbo
07-21-08, 01:13 AM
Congratulations Marine!
Your recruiter didn't screw you over he hooked you up. A year from now you'll be thanking him for not putting you in the infantry.

davblay
07-21-08, 08:59 AM
Basically this is what happened. A week before i went to bootcamp my recruiter calls me and tells me i have good and bad news. The good news is he got me a 10,000 bonus. I said thats sweet.The bad news is that Infantry is not available. I said well how is that posssible, I already signed the contract for it. He said it was full. So me being an idiot i said well whatever 3531 doesnt sound bad. I trusted that my recruiter was being honest. Turned out he was lying and told me infantry was full because he was told by his command that he needed to sign people for Motor T. the way i found this out is because at Meps after i signed the contract i talked to a couple other poolees and asked them what there MOS's were. Turns out some of them got infantry even though it was supposedly full. So yeah thats how i got screwed.

Would you like some cheeze with that whine there Marine? You got 10 Grand to get a job a lot of Marines would kill for, and you talked to some "guys at MEPS" and they were going infantry, so you know your recruiter lied! How long had they been in DEP? Why didn't you just tell your recruiter you weren't interested in 3531, it's your life ya know? Did he give you any options if you didn't agree to the change, in writing? Or maybe it was the way your gonna get that 10 grand that pizzed you off, was that it? Did you expect it all at once, so you could buy that new car or truck?

Like Sgt Bigal said, "you sound like the beginning of a 10 % er" to me to! Then again it sounds a lot like you have been talking to some experts during your three months active duty, where at.....Boot Camp?

The enlistment package was completed and sealed when you left for Boot Camp, so no one could have changed anything without your knowledge, meaning you signed it! Did that mean old recruiter hold a gun to your head?
You could have simply said "no, I ain't changing my MOS"!

But lets throw the recruiter under the bus, lets not take responsibility for our own actions! If you are a 4 X 4 contract you will be nearly 3/4th the way thru your enlistment contract before you will be able to change MOSs! Then, if they do allow it, you will have about 9 months or less left on your enlistment after MCT/SOI,,,,,,,do you think they will approve it? Maybe if you re-enlist! Just think you could out rank your instructors in SOI! Remember the good of the Corps pal!

Welcome to the Corps Marine, Enjoy your leave and RA duty!

Semper Fi,

Dave

jinelson
07-21-08, 09:31 AM
He He He Carry On Marines!

Jim

2ndCEBSupply
07-21-08, 02:25 PM
Most of my platoon and myself from MCT all had our cellphones with us. Its not really allowed but they realy dont mind as long as you use it wisely dont go around flashing it just be sure to keep it in a plastic zip lock bag VERY IMPORTANT and keep it off or silent at all times.

As for your MOS change good luck i had the same situation the only way your switching is if Marine Corps needs you there other than that its not going to happen (unless u renlist)

JRHD72
07-21-08, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the CORPS brother! All Marines are 0311's. You just aint gonna have to hump ammo or other supplies as often as the ground pounders.

jarheadlady
07-21-08, 04:59 PM

Anyways thanks Marines.

If you take your cell phone with you, chances are you wont be using it much. Once you get to MCT, you will class up and be out in the field for 22 days straight. My advice is this; have mom or dad keep it. They can send it to you at your MOS school. Once you get to your PDS you will probably want to have one with the local area code anyway. Good luck and welcome to our Corps!

ROTORORDY
07-23-08, 08:54 PM

right on there some of us werent as lucky as that guy

nptwildcat
07-24-08, 07:52 AM
The Army offered my son $15,000. The Marines offered him a coffee cup.
He chose the Marines! He never did get that coffee cup. lol I ask him why he turned
down the money. He looked me straight in the eyes and said,"when the s**t hits the fan, I will be one of the best, with the best. You can't put a price on that!" That's my Marine, as dumb as his old man and damn Proud of it!

Ammodriver2000
07-24-08, 08:59 AM
Firstly; congrats Marine.
Secondly; I concur with Bulkyker. Having been a Motor-T platoon sergeant; I can tell you that depending on where you get sent; you will get some of the 03 in you, PDQ. ...and you better learn, too. Where that truck goes; you go...period. And don't think you'll just be delivering beans and bullets to some, rear-area all the time, either.

BadLuckChuck
07-24-08, 04:20 PM
How's your PFT? When you're in MCT or ITB at least when I went through at the end of training you have to do a PFT if you score 280 or above they'll ask you if you'd like to take the Recon Indoc, other than that, the only way you could do grunts is if you're attached to an Infantry unit as a driver. When you get to your school when you request East West Overseas try requesting just to get sent to any Infantry unit. The squeaky wheel gets the oil just work hard and keep everything up. If all else fails request to go to Oki after your tour you get to choose whichever duty station you want, get up with your career jammer and be like yo i wanna go with the grunts he'll hook it up.

BadLuckChuck
07-24-08, 04:24 PM

Sh!t I'll pay 10k for the brass to look the other way and let me back in with all my tats.

jimmie
07-28-08, 10:39 AM
i think you should just be happy to have earned the right to be called MARINE

AL49BGN
07-28-08, 11:36 AM
Congrats Marine

Quinbo
07-28-08, 11:39 AM
Welcome to the CORPS brother! All Marines are 0311's. You just aint gonna have to hump ammo or other supplies as often as the ground pounders.
:devious:

I have to disagree kind sir. Why not just say all Marines are rifleman? If what you say is true then there is absolutely no reason for SOI. Everybody comes out of MCT fully trained as an 0311.

KIMEYOJDANIELS
07-28-08, 01:01 PM
Hey Devil Dawg Let Me Just Explain What Mct Is, It Is Marine Combat Training And When You Are On The Battle Field You Really Do Not Want Any Distractions, I Am A Marine That Had To Many Personal Distractions And This Became A Problem For Me Becoming The Best Marine I Could Have Been, Remember You Are Bonding With Your New Unit, You Might Only See A Hand Full Of Marines That Was With You In Boot Camp With You In Mct, So Be Prepared To Get Right Back To Using Teamwork To Get You Through And Not Your Phone Calls, You Can Bring Your Phone To Base But Leave It In The Squad Bay... Remeber Marine Combat Training No Distractions...

Semper Fi,

Kimeyo J Daniels

JRHD72
07-28-08, 03:42 PM
:devious:

I have to disagree kind sir. Why not just say all Marines are rifleman? If what you say is true then there is absolutely no reason for SOI. Everybody comes out of MCT fully trained as an 0311.

All marines are 0311's

What is the PC statement?

Quinbo
07-28-08, 05:22 PM
If you say it often enough maybe you'll come to believe it. Is that PC enough for you? When I was a boot MCT did not exist so I don't know. After 13 years of crawling through the mud and blood and the beer I say you are welcome to tell everyone you meet that you are an 0311 ... why not include 0321, 8541, 8532? Hell tell everybody you are a ranger. Shoot they won't know the difference .... while your at it.

ShakeNBake
07-28-08, 08:43 PM
I finished up MCT in May and as far as cell phones Dont take it out to the field with you. Alot of people took them to the field and ended up turning them in because they were threating to give out Page 11's. You really dont need your cell phone, you wont have much time to use it. I put mine in my sea bag that you put in storage, and when you get back from the field you will get it back ac couple days before you graduate. I would not recommend putting it in a plastic bag and turning it in because they wont give it back to you right away and could get messed up.

JRHD72
07-28-08, 08:48 PM
I'm a 2131. But if it came to FPLF I would be an 0311. We went to Geiger while at PI then came back for 3rd phase. I have no idea what some of these new anacronysms are.