PDA

View Full Version : Schoolchildren sending letters and treats to deployed military

thedrifter
05-12-03, 07:49 PM
Schoolchildren sending letters and treats to deployed military

By Linda McIntosh
COMMUNITY NEWS WRITER

May 10, 2003

OCEANSIDE – Jessica Hartmann's little fingers moved quickly as she filled dozens of ziploc bags with her favorite treats to be sent to Marines stationed in Iraq.

She dropped in candy bars, gumballs and crackers.

But before she sealed the bags, she put a letter in each one.

The notes were written by Jessica, 8, and her classmates at Alamosa Elementary School in Oceanside.

Each month, Jessica's mother, Elise Hartmann, a substitute teacher at Alamosa, gets 250 goody bags ready for Operation Interdependence.

She is one of many volunteers working with the nonprofit organization to send care packages to deployed military.

"My heart goes out to them," said Hartmann, whose husband served in the Persian Gulf War in 1991.

"One night my dad and I packed 150 bags," Jessica said. "I'd like to get more mail to them and make it a happier world."

Her classmates agree.

"It's a way to tell them we care," said Nathan Strait, 10, whose father is deployed.

Each in their own words, students thanked the soldiers for what they are doing.

In her letter, 10-year-old Aleah McGlover wrote, "You are risking your lives just for us ... You'll always be looked up as a hero."

When Monique Lincoln, 9, wrote her note, she felt close to her father, who is deployed.

"I feel like he's next to me," Monique said.

The first replies from the soldiers brought a lot of excitement to the school.

Cpl. Bodden wrote back and said he taped his letter to the inside of his tent.

Copies of some letters and replies are on a mural in the school's front office.

American flags colored by students surround the letters.

Among the notes is one to a fourth-grader from deployed Marine Cpl. Hubbard.

He wrote, "I absolutely loved the picture that was in my bag. Tell the artist, Dylan Van Dyke, the heart he drew has a special place in my left breast pocket with other important documents."

Some of the soldiers explained in their letters where they were, how cold or hot it was and what kind of weapon they were using.

"It is important for the kids to know what they are doing for us," Hartmann said.

And it is good for the soldiers to know that everyone is aware of their sacrifice.

"It boosts morale," said student teacher Tarn Reed, whose husband is deployed.

The students agree it is important to let the soldiers know they are being thought of while they are away from home and family.

"My entire platoon is grateful ... they have brought a smile to each of our faces," Lance Cpl. Scott wrote. "They remind us what is important and what we are fighting for."

For more information about Operation Interdependence, visit www.oidelivers.org.

Sempers,

Roger