View Full Version : Pearl Harbor vet honored for service

thedrifter
07-20-08, 11:41 AM
July 20, 2008

Pearl Harbor vet honored for service

Leathernecks pay tribute to Detroit native

By JESSE DUNSMORE
Times Herald

Ted Archambault is a member of a dwindling population -- a combat veteran who defended Pearl Harbor during World War II.

Archambault, a Detroit native, joined the Marine Corps in 1940. He was a platoon sergeant stationed near Pearl Harbor when it was attacked by Japanese war planes December 7, 1941.

On Saturday, Archambault's family held their annual reunion at Marysville City Park, with a two-fold surprise for Archambault.

First was the banner wishing Archambault a happy 90th birthday. His visit from Florida for the reunion offered family members the opportunity to celebrate his December birthday early.

Archambault's wife, Marie, said he had told her he'd like a party this year. "That's the first time in the 58 years I've been married to him that he's wanted a birthday party," she said.

The second surprise was a motorcade from the Whisky Alpha chapter of the Leathernecks, a motorcycle club for Marines. Archambault's nephew, Leon Briggs, contacted Lennie Brooks, Commandant of the Marine Corps League Detachment 146 in Port Huron. Brooks contacted the Leathernecks.

"I've got a lot of pride in me just meeting a Pearl Harbor veteran who's in better shape than me, probably," said Brooks.

Though Chapman said they hadn't planned to do anything other than show up greet Archambault, the leather-clad Marine Corps veterans sang the first verse of the Marine's Hymn, joined by Brooks, Archambault and some of Archambault's relatives.

Archambault's family gave him a T-shirt, speeches, a cake and lots of cards. Thanks to efforts by family members, Archambault received multiple cards from county commissioners and other Florida politicians, and a gift from the White House: a plaque-ready copy of President George W. Bush's 2005 speech commemorating the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II.

"This is the biggest surprise I've had in a long time," said Archambault.

Ellie