View Full Version : Marine's message: 'Don't feel bad for me'

thedrifter
07-20-08, 10:14 AM
Marine's message: 'Don't feel bad for me'
Stevenson loved what he was doing, recalls his brother at funeral
Sunday, July 20, 2008
BY LESLIE KWOH
Star-Ledger Staff

Dozens of residents stood along the backcountry roads of Sussex County yesterday morning to watch a funeral procession carry a fallen Marine back home.

In tiny Stillwater, a town of 4,300, it was a chance to give a simple but heartfelt farewell to Lance Cpl. Jeffery Stevenson, 20, who died in Iraq last Sunday from what military officials called "non-hostile causes."

As his older brother, Air Force Senior Airman Robert Stevenson, 23, led the motorcade to Stillwater Cemetery riding Jeffery's orange Honda motorcycle, residents along the 10-mile stretch showed their support.

One woman, a giant American flag hung on her white wooden fence, wiped away tears. A man driving in the opposite direction pulled over and stood by the side of the road with his young son, their heads bowed.

The procession had begun at the First Presbyterian Church of Newton. Nearly 150 friends and family members -- some from Texas and South Carolina -- listened as Stevenson's stepfather recalled an "always smiling" stepson.

"Well, Jeff, your friends and family are all here today," Joe Solarino ended haltingly, then gently patted the flag-draped coffin.

The coffin was then carried from the church by a Marine honor guard while a church organist played "Amazing Grace."

As of yesterday, the circumstances surrounding Stevenson's death were still unclear, and military officials said it could be a year before they release autopsy results, the family said.

Stevenson was the 103rd service member with ties to New Jersey to die in Iraq or Afghanistan, and the first of two Marines from the state to die last week in what military officials called non-hostile circumstances. Two days after Stevenson's death, Lt. Jason D. Mann of Woodlynne, Camden County, died in Helmand Province in Afghanistan.

Those close to Stevenson described him yesterday as "humble" and "easygoing" but also "adventurous," and said he was looking forward to coming home when his term ended in September. Stevenson had joined the Marines within six months of graduating from Kittatinny Regional High School in 2006, following his older brother into the military service.

Enzo Corleto, 50, the father of Jeffery's best friend Joey, said he had spoken to Stevenson over the phone several weeks ago. The Marine talked about the hot weather at Camp Fallulah in western Iraq, where he was serving as a machinist. He talked about how he was looking forward to coming home so he could show off three new tattoos, Corleto said.

"He seemed to be in very good spirits," Corleto said.

In recent months, Robert Stevenson said, he and his brother had begun making plans to finish out their terms, move to California and try to join the Los Angeles Police Department. They were planning to bring along their parents, Joe and Karen Solarino, he said.

"We had so many plans," he said.

But he added that his brother succeeded in fulfilling his biggest dream by joining the Marines.

"We had a talk before he went," said Robert Stevenson, who is home on leave from his base in Wyoming. "He said: 'Tell my friends and family that if anything happens, don't feel bad for me. It's what I want to do.'"

Gov. Jon Corzine signed an executive order Friday to have all the state departments and agencies fly their flags at half-staff Tuesday.

Staff writer Amy Ellis Nutt contributed to this report. Leslie Kwoh may be reached at lkwoh@starledger.com or (973) 539-7910.

Ellie