PDA

View Full Version : Retired soldier: 'I feel nothing but frustration and betrayal'

thedrifter
07-19-08, 05:29 AM
Retired soldier: 'I feel nothing but frustration and betrayal'
YouNewsTV™

Story Published: Jul 18, 2008 at 6:26 PM PDT

Story Updated: Jul 18, 2008 at 7:08 PM PDT
By Tracy Vedder

STANWOOD, Wash. -- Thousands of local vets currently suffering from injury and illness are in a kind of limbo. The Veterans Administration has denied them benefits, and many feel betrayed by a VA appeals process that can take years.

Twice a week, Keith Reyes tries to perform the simplest tests of balance for his physical therapist. It's a struggle. He's been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and a traumatic brain injury.

"Not only does he have some issues with his brain and the way it reads balance, but he's got some inner-ear problems as well from the blast," said physical therapist Sarah Ridley.

Reyes wobbles and trembles through a simple course where the obstacles are three inch-high squishy domes and a foam walkway. On his first try, his foot knocks over a foot and a half-high bar he's supposed to step over.

This is a man who spent 20 years as a Navy diver and was part of the elite Special Warfare Combat Crew team. He worked hand in hand with Navy SEALs. Reyes bleeds red, white and blue.

"I'd die for my country over and over," he said.

But his years of service took a toll. He's lost two marriages and, since retiring, two jobs. Finally psychologist Steve Clancy helped Reyes figure out why. After weeks of therapy Dr. Steve Clancy told Reyes, "Keith, you've got PTSD. There's no question about it."

Reyes' problems began on assignment in 1985 in Chile. He volunteered for a special expedition accompanying the British Royal Marines to the region. He cautiously admits that gathering intelligence was part of his job description.

"The American military and other sources, other agencies wanted to know what was going on," said Reyes. That was during dictator Augusto Pinochet's harsh military rule and there were frequent leftist uprisings.

"There were kidnappings, there were bombings," Reyes said.

Reyes and a British Royal Marine captain were driving into Santiago, Chile when they were ambushed.

"Just blew my window completely out," said Reyes.

He said there was no time to seek medical attention.

"Our mission after this particular ambush was to get to the safe house," he said.

That was the first of a series of traumatic incidents in Chile that changed Reyes forever.

"Anger, rage, depression, insomnia - couldn't sleep, wasn't sleeping well," he said.

For 23 years, Reyes struggled on his own before finally filing a claim with the VA last year. To corroborate what happened in Chile, Reyes included national news reports, declassified CIA documents and a letter from the Royal Marine who was with him during the attack.

Despite all that evidence, the VA denied his claim.

"I feel nothing but frustration and betrayal from them," said Reyes.

To his psychologist Dr. Clancy, the VA's decision "was jaw-dropping."

The American Legion says Reyes is one of more than 4,000 local vets appealing their VA decisions. After the denial, Kathy Nylen began working on Reyes' appeal.

"The initial stage of that will take at least a year," said Nylen.

The VA refused an interview with KOMO News, but did release a written statement, which said experienced claims reviewers are expected to clear three and a half cases a day.

Nylen doesn't believe there's any way the VA can give each initial claim the review it deserves.

"I don't think that the VA, even in their best intentions, is able to address the increasing workload that they're facing," she said.

Reyes turned to KOMO News. We called the VA. In less than three weeks, the agency reversed its decision, granting Reyes 70-percent disability for PTSD.

"I'm happy for me that this has worked out somewhat, but I'm one of another 50,000 guys in Puget Sound that shouldn't have to go through this," said Reyes.

Reyes insists that it is equally important that the VA gets the message on behalf of all the other vets in his shoes.

Ellie