PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams

BadLuckChuck
07-18-08, 04:52 PM
As some of you may know I am from Boston and I love the Sox. A good buddy of mine and I were thinking about putting together a petition to the MLB to retire #9 from Baseball throughout the league like Jackie Robinson. Obviously Ted Williams was an amazing ball player but he could have done much much more and didn't because of his service as a Marine Pilot in WW2 and Korea. Would you Leathernecks be interested in signing a petition like this?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAFV023%7ETed-Williams-Fighter-Pilot-sepia-Posters.jpg

I know it may be hard for some of you Yankees fans out there, but I think it's a worthy cause.

Osotogary
07-18-08, 06:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_retired_numbers

For what it is worth the above reference is from Wikipedia which can be edited as you may or may not know.

Certainly Ted Williams number would get high consideration to be retired thoughout Major League Baseball if there was a category for baseball players whose careers where interrupted by military service. The "Splendid Splinter" would deserve such an accolade.

FistFu68
07-18-08, 09:07 PM
:usmc: HIS HARDBALL CAREER @ HIS (USMC) SERVICE SPEAK 4 THEMSELVES. I THINK THIS MAN WAS A BAD MUTHA'FUCER :scared: :iwo:

USMCGixxer6
07-18-08, 09:10 PM
Ted was the man, I am down.

Big Jim
07-18-08, 10:50 PM
http://www.1stmarinedivisionassociation.org/chesty/ribbs.JPG

DAM!! IS THAT A SILVER STAR AND (5) NAVY CROSSES?!?!?! NOT TOO MENTION THE BRONZE STAR WITH A COMBAT "V" FOR VALOR!! THERE'S A CHINA SERVICE CAMPAIGN MEDAL ALONG WITH A KOREAN DECORATION...WHO THE HELL ARE YOU ANYWAY...CHESTY REINCARNATE?

darkgreen0311
07-19-08, 08:10 AM
I agree with Big Jim ain't no way in hell you have the medals you say you have. Bad Luck Chuck, seems to me more like fake it jake!!!!

:marine:Semper FI 4 Life
Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!!

CplKJSpevak
07-19-08, 09:29 AM
Jim and Darkgreen, Chuck wanted to display Chesty's ribbon board for motivation...Chuck you might think about changing that or it's gonna keep coming up.... and HELL YES I would sign the Petition for Ted Williams!

darkgreen0311
07-19-08, 09:36 AM
Yeah, that may be a good idea.

:marine:Semper FI 4 Life
Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

SgtThrasher
07-19-08, 11:02 AM
Major league Baseball is past due in honoring Ted Williams.He was unselfish and a true Patriot and I'm sure the Marine Corps support for him,would be unanimous. :thumbup:

thewookie
07-19-08, 11:35 AM
You can count me in.

I have an article that I saved from the June 12, 1999 edition of the Boston Herald. Steve Buckley wrote an article on the back page called Ted Lights up NY.

This was Ted Williams Night in NY at Shea Stadium (Mets stadium)

Many baseball greats were there that night - Ralph Kiner, Tommy Lasorda, Rusty Staub, Tom Seaver, and even Yogi Berra.

Weaver brought Ted out in a golf-cart, and the place erupted. He saw a group of US Marines and when he arrived at the mound, he waved one of the Marines over to him.

quoted

"How many Marines are here tonight?" Williams asked in that familiar bellowing voice, a voice that has not been thawed, not a bit, by the ravages of time.

"About 45, sir," Olson said.

"Well, it's great to see you," Williams said.

"From one Marine to another, I welcome you," Olson said.

Williams quipped to the crowd - "those championship Yankee teams of yesteryear were "lucky," and then he spoke these words: "The greatest team I was ever on, was the United States Marines."

Imagine that, Ted Williams night in NY, I say retire his number across MLB, there will never be another like him.

Even if they unfreeze him.:sick:

SgtThrasher
07-19-08, 12:56 PM
You can count me in.

I have an article that I saved from the June 12, 1999 edition of the Boston Herald. Steve Buckley wrote an article on the back page called Ted Lights up NY.

This was Ted Williams Night in NY at Shea Stadium (Mets stadium)

Many baseball greats were there that night - Ralph Kiner, Tommy Lasorda, Rusty Staub, Tom Seaver, and even Yogi Berra.

Weaver brought Ted out in a golf-cart, and the place erupted. He saw a group of US Marines and when he arrived at the mound, he waved one of the Marines over to him.

quoted

"How many Marines are here tonight?" Williams asked in that familiar bellowing voice, a voice that has not been thawed, not a bit, by the ravages of time.

"About 45, sir," Olson said.

"Well, it's great to see you," Williams said.

"From one Marine to another, I welcome you," Olson said.

Williams quipped to the crowd - "those championship Yankee teams of yesteryear were "lucky," and then he spoke these words: "The greatest team I was ever on, was the United States Marines."

Imagine that, Ted Williams night in NY, I say retire his number across MLB, there will never be another like him.

Even if they unfreeze him.:sick:

I agree Wookie, I have this image of him upside down, in a cylinder of liquid nitrogen,waiting for science to find a cure .:sick:

Hercules1944
07-19-08, 03:35 PM
It's amazing how many guys that never served a day in the military and had long careers can not even come close to what Ted Williams accomplished.

Hercules1944
07-19-08, 03:45 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/medalsanddecs/l/blwotmedals.htm

:D BadLuckChuck never said he rated the medals. Looks like whay Chesty earned alright.