PDA

View Full Version : 'Lt. Dan' Visits Camp Ramadi

thedrifter
07-18-08, 09:07 AM
'Lt. Dan' Visits Camp Ramadi
July 17, 2008
Navy News|by Senior Chief Mass Comm. Spc. Gary Boucher

CAMP RAMADI, Iraq - Actor Gary Sinise visited Camp Ramadi July 12.

Sinise, widely known for his role as 'Lt. Dan' in the movie "Forrest Gump" as well as his movie role in "Apollo 13," and his television role in "CSI: NY," met with the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines living at Camp Ramadi as part of a seven base tour in the region.

"I think it's important to show support of these troops that are sacrificing so much for our nation," Sinise said. "We are lucky to have such a great bunch of people out here doing their jobs and making the best of it."

Sinise is known as much for his acting abilities as his support of the military and veterans. His "Lt. Dan Band" performs for military members and their families around the world.

"At a lot of bases, we play just for the families of deployed troops," said Sinise. "It's important that we recognize their support and the sacrifices they make as well."

Sinise noted his military roots which include many family members who are Vietnam veterans.

"This is important to me because, for the most part, they returned to an ungrateful nation and I want to ensure we never experience that again," said Sinise. "I've always cared about our veterans and this is a great opportunity to give some encouragement to some people we should be really proud of."

The actor's visit to Camp Ramadi offered a break in the routine for many service members.

"I got to meet 'Lt. Dan' and you can't go wrong with that," said Yeoman Seaman Apprentice Richard Lewis of Task Force Ramadi. "It meant a lot to have someone of that caliber show up out here and made it seem more important that we are here."

Sinise visited the headquarters of several tennant command including a stop at the headquarters of Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3, from Point Huneme, Calif.

"It was awesome," said Chief Equipment Operator (SCW) Pamela Lee, NMCB 3. "I think it meant a lot to everyone to have him take the time to come out and show us his support."

Sinise also supports several organizations that serve service members, veterans and their families as well as the children of Iraq.

"Snowball Express is a charitable organization I've been working with to support children who have lost family members," he said. "It was founded in 2006 with the idea that we should pay tribute to the children of those heroes that have fallen since 9/11."

Sinise also sponsors Operation Iraqi Children, a grass-roots program founded in 2004 by Sinise and his wife, Laura Hillenbrand to assist Iraqi children.

During his tour of the region, Sinise also met with troops in Fallujah and Bahgdad.

Ellie