PDA

View Full Version : For duty and for Ireland

thedrifter
07-18-08, 08:51 AM
Published Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:42 PM PDT
Features
For duty and for Ireland
Local graduate who completed two tours in Iraq has been inducted into Wall of Fame at Muldoon’s restaurant.

By Daniel Tedford

There was never any doubt for Ian Voss. Even as a young man, he knew his future was with the Marines.

There were many appealing reasons for joining the Marines: duty, adventure, the chance to ride in a tank.

But for Voss, it was a family thing.

“I grew up idolizing my uncle,” said Voss, whose uncle and grandfather were Marines. “A 75-year-old man riding a Harley Davidson — that’s how I would like to be.”

Sgt. Voss, 25, joined the Marines after graduating early from Corona del Mar High School in 2001 and has since done two tours of duty in Iraq.

Voss was honored for his service — not to mention his Irish heritage — this month when Muldoon’s Dublin Pub inducted Voss into its Guinness/Muldoon’s Wall of Fame.

Other faces that have graced the wall at Muldoon’s are Golden Globe winner Tom Berenger, Academy Award-winning singer Maureen McGovern and writer Ray Bradbury, among others.

“It’s a great honor to accept it,” Voss said. “But there are a lot of guys from this area who have done more than I have.”

Born and raised in Newport Beach, Voss has a family connection with Muldoon’s: His father is good pals with the restaurant’s owner, which gave the staff the idea to honor him.

Voss rushed through high school, not participating in sports or clubs, and graduated early. From there, he signed up for the Marines in January 2001. He went into the Marine Corps tank division on his way to being a tank commander.

“When you’re short, what’s a better job than driving a 70-ton tank?” Voss said. “Plus, guys like to blow stuff up.”

He was later a part of the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Fittingly for Voss, it was on St. Patrick’s Day.

Later he volunteered for a second tour of duty to Iraq in October 2007. The differences in the country wowed him.

“The first time there, the place was blown up — it was chaos.” Voss said. “The second time, things started taking a turn for the better.”

With a degree in criminal justice from Cal State Fullerton, Voss now works for Micro Media in Lake Forest, a waste-water-management company.

But he isn’t done serving. He is shipping off to officers candidate school Oct. 1, where he will continue the family tradition.

While humbled by the experience of being honored at Muldoon’s, Voss is glad it gave him the opportunity to raise some awareness and be a part of a long history in Newport Beach.

“This is a Marine town,” Voss said. “I would love to see them all on the wall.”

DANIEL TEDFORD may be reached at (714) 966-4632 or at daniel.tedford@latimes.com.

Ellie