PDA

View Full Version : A dream come true: Nightmares return after 7 months

thedrifter
07-18-08, 08:44 AM
A dream come true: Nightmares return after 7 months
Lance Cpl. Gregory Aalto

The main body of Marine Attack Squadron 513 returned Tuesday from a seven-month deployment with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit throughout southeast Asia.

Friends and family from across the United States greeted the Flying Nightmares at Hangar 95 here.

Eighty-seven Marines returned Tuesday, and 13 returned with the advance party last week. Ten pilots flying 10 AV-8B Harriers are slated to return in the near future, as well as remaining maintenance personnel.

In early May, Cyclone Nargis devastated Myanmar, killing around 130,000 people. VMA-513 Marines prepared themselves for humanitarian aid but were never called upon because Myanmar's military resisted U.S. disaster relief assistance.

At one point, VMA-513 pilots flew a mission to Bangkok, Thailand, to retrieve passports and helicopter parts for cyclone support.

"Considering the (Myanmar) government's requirement for everyone to have a passport and our location off the coast of (Myanmar), the Harriers were the only platform … that could respond quickly, from land base to ship, and over the distance necessary to support the mission," said Col. John Mayer, 31st MEU commander.

During their time in the Philippines, the Nightmares participated in the 17th annual Exercise Balikatan, which focuses on improving Philippine-U.S. combined combat readiness.

For one family, this deployment connected generations of service.

Former Chief Petty Officer David Burnham, grandfather of Cpl. Glen Burnham, VMA-513 airframe technician, was part of the original Navy Seabee construction battalions in the Philippines during World War II.

"I have great pride in my grandson and what he has told me they are doing in the Philippines," said the 30-year-veteran of the Navy.

As a child, the younger Burnham was obsessed with the military, said the elder.

"Now he can tell me sea stories the same way I told him as a kid," the sailor added.

"When I saw the sign for Subic Bay, it really hit me. This is me carrying on my grandfather's work in a way," said the grandson, a native of Midlothian, Texas.

The Nightmares also participated in civic projects that helped the East Timorese people, as well as numerous other projects throughout the area.

Overall, VMA-513 Marines were able to experience the cultures of Southeast Asia and work with members of the Australian, French, Indonesian and other Southeast Asian countries.

For some, the deployment was their second in under two years.

Between April and November 2007 a detachment from the unit joined the 13th MEU and participated in similar activities.

31st MEU Public Affairs contributed to this report.

Ellie