PDA

View Full Version : Re-supply hike tests Company L recruits’ teamwork in mock combat environment

thedrifter
07-18-08, 06:57 AM
MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO —Dirty, tired and hungry, Company L recruits waited in the evening’s fading light for the next command from their drill instructors. The command was given to form up for the re-supply hike.

The ammunition re-supply is a four-mile hike where recruits carry 40mm ammunition cans filled with dirt simulating the weight of the rounds.

The entire company participated in this re-supply hike so recruits would learn how to work as a unit during simulated combat. Maintaining their composure during the re-supply hike is another objective for the recruits to learn because it helps them get their mission done, said Staff Sgt. Fernando Madrigal, drill instructor, Platoon 3250.

Halfway through the maneuvers, the ammunition cans were handed over to the company’s follow series to carry for the hike back.

“It was better taking the ammunition cans to the halfway point because most of the trail was down hill,” said Recruit Craig M. Bernal, Plt. 3249.

The Crucible is 54-hour training exercise where recruits are pushed to their limits. They hike more than 40 miles, stopping at stations to read medal citations and conduct team exercises, while experiencing hunger and fatigue.

“I feel exhausted because the training wore me out, but I’m motivated because tomorrow I get my eagle, globe and anchor,” said Recruit Ricky L. Hollingsworth, Plt. 3249. “Then I get to see my family next week and I haven’t seen them in five years. I get to go home.”

During this training exercise the recruits must re-supply under the cover of darkness. The ammunition can re-supply is designed to teach the recruits how to be tactical at night while practicing light and noise discipline, said Madrigal.

“The exercise motivates recruits because it simulates a combat environment,” said Staff Sgt. Daniel J. Rodriguez, drill instructor, Plt. 3251. “They believe they are in combat so they train harder.”

Some recruits found the re-supply hike more challenging than others. Each recruit had their own form of motivation to keep them going while carrying the ammunition cans.

“Becoming a Marine is my motivation,” said Bernal. “I never wanted anything more in my life than earning the title. I feel like I am following my father’s footsteps.”

As the hike continued, the recruits tested their stamina and endurance by navigating the loose dirt and hills while trying to stay with the group.

After the exercise ended, the recruits were allowed to sleep before tackling the Reaper hike, the final event in the Crucible. Upon completion of the final hike, they received their eagle, globe and anchors.

“They have come a long way in the past 12 weeks to become Marines,” said Staff Sgt. Travis Coffey, drill instructor, Plt. 3249. “I know that they will do well in the Marine Corps.”