PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Material?

Patriot34
07-16-08, 10:43 PM
I know I'm gonna recieve crap about asking but I believe my case is a bit different. Sparkie knows but for all the other people out there that don't know that I have two DNA's (skin DNA and blood DNA) so it is extremely difficult to trace me. I've had cancer twice and in that time I rarely ate anything so hunger pains don't bother me at all. I have very good eye sight. I can knock off a coffee can with my .308 winchester at 100 yards with iron sights. I am both physcially tough (75 sit ups in 1 minute 63 push ups in 1 minute) and mentally tough (beating cancer is 90% mental). I am eager learner and a natural born leader. The idea of death doesn't scare me a bit. I've seen it before and it's not worth getting all worked up about. Let the crap recieving begin.

egbutler1
07-16-08, 10:57 PM
I know I'm gonna recieve crap about asking but I believe my case is a bit different. Sparkie knows but for all the other people out there that don't know that I have two DNA's (skin DNA and blood DNA) so it is extremely difficult to trace me. I've had cancer twice and in that time I rarely ate anything so hunger pains don't bother me at all. I have very good eye sight. I can knock off a coffee can with my .308 winchester at 100 yards with iron sights. I am both physcially tough (75 sit ups in 1 minute 63 push ups in 1 minute) and mentally tough (beating cancer is 90% mental). I am eager learner and a natural born leader. The idea of death doesn't scare me a bit. I've seen it before and it's not worth getting all worked up about. Let the crap recieving begin.

Well yes let the sh@t hit the fan. This is not vietnam, your not going to be Gunny Hathcock and sent behind enemy lines and take out HVT. I'm glad to hear you are motivated. But being a Marine is tough, now I can't sit here and tell you that its harder than beating cancer cause I have not been in that situation. But I can tell you that it takes one hell of a person to be a Marine, and one hell of a Marine to be a sniper. You will not become a sniper right off the bat you have to put in your time before you will get that chance. It is also great that you believe you are a natural born leader, but we will see about that when the Drill Instructors start ripping into you and an ever better example would be when the bullets start to fly. Death scares us all weather you believe it or not. Maybe you don't fear death so much yourself but you will fear for the death of other Marines. You have seen your share of death but yet have you with your own hands dealt it, my guess is probably not. Its not as easy as the movies make it seem, and well the Marines are not how the movies portray them. I wish you the best of luck in your journey just remember take it one step at a time.

JordanB
07-16-08, 11:21 PM
If your really think you got what it takes to be a sniper then regardless of the responses you get from this form go for it, get yourself hooked up with a 03xx contract and you will be able to try out for the indoc once you hit the fleet.

Pete0331
07-16-08, 11:53 PM

How far can you run with a 30lbs pack?

Patriot34
07-17-08, 01:02 AM
How far can you run with a 30lbs pack?
as far as I have to.

CplKJSpevak
07-17-08, 06:16 AM
as far as I have to.

Patriot, Thats a hell of a great attitude you have, Back in '92 I new a Poolee with the same attitude. He breezed through Boot Camp ( I saw him at Parris Island, He graduated Honor Man). I saw him at Lejeune (he was with 2nd Recon Bn. Meretorious Cpl. and now he's an infantry Captain. All us guys in the DEP used to tease him a little because he was so motivated, But that's exactly what you need. Go for it Killer! :evilgrin:

Backblast
07-17-08, 07:05 AM
Its already been said but go with an infantry MOS. Shoot expert on the rifle range and take the Sniper indoctrination. If you pass the indoc, you can expect months of field training and stress grenades thrown at you by your instructors.

I had two friends that became snipers from Charlie 1/1. When they became snipers, we didn't see them around anymore. They form their own little clique.

I did get to handle their rifles one day while on ship but never had the chance to fire them. That Barrett M82A1 sniper rifle is an amazing firearm. I hope you get your chance to use it.

Good Luck Poolee.

MyCorps
07-17-08, 10:26 AM
If this is what you want then do it. It does not matter what anyone else thinks. You are already a Hero in my eyes for surviving cancer. Keep me posted on your progress.

yellowwing
07-17-08, 10:42 AM
A coffee can at 100 is what every Marine can do all day. Your attitude is what will make you stand out. Perform to put your money where your mouth is.

Its an army movie, but the very first Rambo movie is a good motivator.

temarti
07-17-08, 11:02 AM
as far as I have to

Awesome answer...

egbutler1
07-17-08, 11:32 AM
A coffee can at 100 is what every Marine can do all day.
Hell yeah, 500 yrds iron sights at a human sized target always went no lower than 9-10 most of the time i hit dead center... But i blew a$$ at the 200 yrd line which is what = my sharpshooter badge.

Pete0331
07-17-08, 11:37 AM
A coffee can at 100 is what every Marine can do all day.

If you want to work on your precision marksmanship try shooting golf balls hanging from string at that distance.

Also start doing "Kim's Games"

thewookie
07-17-08, 12:45 PM
Also start doing "Kim's Games"

That is a very good skill to learn, and work on, about the non-shooting aspect of the job.

They say 99.99% of a snipers job is doing observation, not very glorious and what you normally see on TV, but most commanders know that the intelligence a good sniper team provides does more damage then one, well-placed shot.

At DM school, we spent just as many, if not more hours doing observation drills over shooting drills. And Scout Sniper school is probably the same, but the overall school is longer and more grueling.

Good luck - I would say stay away from trying to hone your shooting skills with a golf ball - too much; you might get some bad habits in the process. Shooting a can at 100 might mask bad shooting habits, a golf ball at this point might leave you frustrated and likely to develop bad habits. Like jerking and slapping the trigger, and other faults related to anticipation of the target. Wait until you have been taught by Marine.

Spend more time working on the little parts of the job that play an important role in making a Marine Scout Sniper.

Shooting, athletic, and your mental toughness to overcome are very important skills to master. But it isn't the only thing that you need to be an expert on.

Isrowei
07-17-08, 12:55 PM

If you're really all that Bad-a$$... why do you need to come here and talk about it?

It's been my experience that the true "bad-a$$es" don't really need to talk about it. Soon enough, the people around them will figure it out. It's the braggarts and the blowhards that have to convince everyone how great they are.

My suggestion? Shut the hell up and put your body where your mouth is. If you're truly that stellar... we'll be hearing about you in due time through the proper channels. Otherwise... smoke in the wind..

Alpha1Devildog
07-17-08, 01:05 PM
That coffee can isn't shooting back. Big difference. It takes more than being able to stare down the barrel of a rifle while blowing the hell out of an inanimate object, quite another not to flinch, delivering the round and making the kill while incoming rounds are pinging/whizzing past your ears, while your spotter is laying wounded just out of arms reach.

If you think you got what it takes, go for it.

amarine0311
07-17-08, 01:44 PM
My 10 yr old nephew can shoot a 1 quart oil jug at 400 yards. Everybody want to be a sniper. Grow up and learn to shoot harder targets.

jetdoc
07-17-08, 03:37 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12px">http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/misc/images_ln/quote_l.gif Quote:</TD></TR><TR><TD>as far as I have to </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Awesome answer...

I agree, awesome reply, :D......You do what you want to do and don't listen to any negatvie crap you get from others. As you have kicked cancers azz you know what a battle is and how to survive. Just apply that engery into what you want to do in the Marines, you will reach your goals.

jetdoc
07-17-08, 03:39 PM
My 10 yr old nephew can shoot a 1 quart oil jug at 400 yards. Everybody want to be a sniper. Grow up and learn to shoot harder targets.

Yea, come back when you can shoot a coffee BEAN at 400 yards, at night.....then you can become a sniper, hahaha.

As I said in my previous post, don't worry about the negative posts.