PDA

View Full Version : Why on Gods green earth and the Corps' beloved country...

Whitey
07-16-08, 04:06 PM
are engagement rings so damn expensive?

jrdnj
07-16-08, 04:11 PM
Because when love is strong, "money is nothing."

Terrible thought, but jewelers sure make their moneys worth out of people.

Phantom Blooper
07-16-08, 04:12 PM
To show you what you will be spending for rest of your lives together!:beer:

yellowwing
07-16-08, 04:16 PM
Realistically its the rising price of gold. Figuratively, you ain't seen nothing yet! :D

Phantom Blooper
07-16-08, 04:21 PM
Because when love is strong, "money is nothing."

Unless your drawing privates pay!:beer:

:evilgrin:

jrdnj
07-16-08, 04:29 PM
I stand corrected.

:D

Whitey
07-16-08, 04:39 PM
yeah dude. i only make a smidge more than you. the only rings that caught my eye when i went looking yesterday were around $2500-3500

and yes i have good enough credit to get approved for the loan/credit/whatever F THAT

Achped
07-16-08, 04:40 PM
.....sigh

jackson07
07-16-08, 04:44 PM
yeah dude. i only make a smidge more than you. the only rings that caught my eye when i went looking yesterday were around $2500-3500

and yes i have good enough credit to get approved for the loan/credit/whatever F THAT

Ha ha those are cheap. Go with those. She doesn't need a really nice one for a couple of years.

Whitey
07-16-08, 04:46 PM
those ones didn't even look cheap. there was a couple 1.5ct's for that much

jackson07
07-16-08, 04:52 PM
those ones didn't even look cheap. there was a couple 1.5ct's for that much

My soon to be exwife was a fan of the bling and lots of diamonds. I personally prefer something smaller and simple. Find out what works for you. I like the nice white gold bands with a simple diamond.

Granted you can still find simple rings for 15k or more, but just my thoughts.

jrdnj
07-16-08, 05:13 PM
the last thing I would consider would to go into debt for a ring.

jackson07
07-16-08, 05:29 PM
By the way, the general idea is about 3 months pay should go to the ring.

Big Jim
07-16-08, 05:34 PM
Well I was always told it depended on the size and clarity of the diamond!! Count on about getting a 2-carat diamond, quality and grade-K, that's what your girl would want!!

sparkie
07-16-08, 05:44 PM
From a grant by Ohio. $500.00 for coming back from Nam alive. Been on my finger now for 37 years.
The ring don't matter,,,,,,, The love does. You all let them take your money, to prove your love???.
I say prove it for the duration, and with your devotion.

Big Jim
07-16-08, 05:45 PM
From a grant by Ohio. $500.00 for coming back from Nam alive. Been on my finger now for 37 years.
The ring don't matter,,,,,,, The love does. You all let them take your money, to prove your love???.
I say prove it for the duration, and with your devotion.

WELL SAID SPARKIE MY BRO....

crate78
07-17-08, 12:38 PM
I'm frankly appalled at what people are spending on weddings nowadays. And most of it is instigated by the mother of the bride.

When my wife and I were married 42 years ago, we had a nice ceremony, a lot of people had a lot of fun afterward, but we just didn't see any reason to try to make it the social event of the century.

And we used the money we didn't spend on the wedding for the down payment on a house. We've never been sorry we did it that way.

A number of years ago, one of my wife's brothers spent $14,000 on our niece's wedding, a nominal sum even back then. Two years later, they were divorced before my BIL had even finished paying it off. That's b***s***.

crate

DWG
07-17-08, 12:45 PM
You think it's expensive on the front end? Wait and see how much you'll spend to get out! :scared: (sometimes, gladly, and you'll consider it cheap at twice the price!):p:D

bgsuwoody
07-17-08, 12:58 PM
.....sigh

Did everyone else miss this but me...made me laught my ass off. It'll be ok Matt...my life is often in shambles too.

Alpha1Devildog
07-17-08, 01:14 PM
Not meaning to be a commercial, but you may want to take a look at the Diamonique line at QVC. You can get a beautiful ring, actuall 14K gold, with a beautiful simulted diamond, and after you advance in rank/life, you consider replacing the stone (diamond) with the real mccoy. But in all honesty, you can't tell the difference, i.e., unless your a gemologist.

I've seen some nice one/two carat stones.

Just a thought.

sdk87to91
07-17-08, 02:17 PM
They are expensive so you wont get married until you can afford it.
Like requiring hippies to pay money for puppies you would give to a neighbour for free. So you know they will be able to feed it.

On the other hand, I believe in the walmart ring I bought for $350 for my wife. She loves it still and would not have anything else. when you get rady to get married you can spend a little more for the wedding band.

My wife smashed her rings moving a couch in Nevada. I searched the gravel for 3 days and when I finally found that walmart diamond let me tell you it was a beautiful thing down there in the sand. Now she really would want no other. We spent more on another setting that protects the stone from her rough lifestyle.

If a cheap ring aint good enough then the love aint true.

Whitey
07-17-08, 03:45 PM
it's actually not her. im very materialistic at times...especially when it involves people seeing what I can afford. pride thing? i dunno

Phantom Blooper
07-17-08, 04:41 PM
Sometimes you need to swallow your pride.

Don't know your financial background and what type of money you have.....but with your question of expense...on a PFC pay and a bologna budget quit trying to swallow lobster and prime rib.

If you are getting engaged....and as a few Marines have said it doesn't make a difference what you have or don't have if the relationship is solid.

If you are trying to impress...IMO the only you need to impress is your soon to be bride and yourself!People don't care except for 5 minutes!:evilgrin:

Ed Palmer
07-17-08, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=If a cheap ring aint good enough then the love aint true.[/QUOTE]

That aint right
when we got married I was PFC and 18 all I had to give was a cheap gold band and its lasted 51 years,and 3 months and she is still wearing that same cheap band.
Also back in 57 a Pfc only made 96.00 dollars a month .
We made it and it was rough, so if you have the guts or balls to do it ,DO IT.

BadLuckChuck
07-17-08, 05:01 PM
are engagement rings so damn expensive?

If you can make it up to Massachusetts some how my mom is a sales clerk at a jewelery store in Sudbury she'll hook you up. She always hooks up Marines and Sailors.

Alpha1Devildog
07-17-08, 05:12 PM
Look. . . .

http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/j/94/j18094.001?$usmedium$ (javascript:searchnav('J18094','pl','text',''))

$120.00 14K Gold, 1 carat. . . Heck, with the cost of gold lately, this is pretty good. I'll not belabor the issue. Good luck, hope the marriage lasts the rest of your lives. . .

sparkie
07-17-08, 05:35 PM
That aint right
when we got married I was PFC and 18 all I had to give was a cheap gold band and its lasted 51 years,and 3 months and she is still wearing that same cheap band.
Also back in 57 a Pfc only made 96.00 dollars a month .
We made it and it was rough, so if you have the guts or balls to do it ,DO IT.

I liked you, Ed. Semper fi, Brother.

sparkie
07-17-08, 06:48 PM
Sees the Sun going down,,,, And the eyes in his head sees the world spinning 'round.

You didn't ask, but I will tell you anyway.
What Makes A Marriage.
A woman needs Love, And the Re-assurance of Love. For all her days.
She will give All for the hope of Love.......
A Man lives for Respect, And knows little of Love. Hard for a Man to give What he knows little about, But He Tries.

Women say: Why should I respect him? He doesn't Love Me.

Men say: Why should I Love her? She doesn't Respect me.

Mix in SELF_LESS_NESS. Hard for you to do, But that is the catylist.
If You Can't Be A Little SelfLess, The least giving, you have no hope.

That from Dr. Sparkie,,,, I will say no more.

A Ring Is just a Friggin hole with borders. Grow up, learn to respect, and love.

Marine84
07-17-08, 07:03 PM
I;mjust trying to fiure out WHY you want to get engaged and haven't even been in the Corps a year yet. Please do not tell me that this flavor of the month has been around for 3 months.

Let the WOMAN in the house tell you a few things. You guys fall in "love" with the P first - you should, having sex makes your body produce a chemical that makes your brain think you're in love. Eat chocolate with her instead and you'll feel loved without all the drama that is sure to be coming down the road behind an engagement ring.

And, yeah Woody, I noticed Matt's little heavy sigh over there. Ifyou MUST get one..................try stealitback.com - I've gotten major deals on jewelry from that site.

CplKJSpevak
07-17-08, 07:08 PM
I have the greatest wife of all time, I bought her engagement ring at the PX on Camp Lejeune for a couple hundred bucks, We got married at the Jacksonville JOP, cost $40 and two witnesses. We were young, that's all I could afford...Fast forward years later,Mortgage,Rv,3 Harley's,I made sure of one thing that rings been Upgraded(She never complained about the first one), and we are happier than ever! We treasure our memories of being a young military family, It was all good.

CplKJSpevak
07-17-08, 07:17 PM
I;mjust trying to fiure out WHY you want to get engaged and haven't even been in the Corps a year yet. Please do not tell me that this flavor of the month has been around for 3 months.

Let the WOMAN in the house tell you a few things. You guys fall in "love" with the P first - you should, having sex makes your body produce a chemical that makes your brain think you're in love. Eat chocolate with her instead and you'll feel loved without all the drama that is sure to be coming down the road behind an engagement ring.

And, yeah Woody, I noticed Matt's little heavy sigh over there. Ifyou MUST get one..................try stealitback.com - I've gotten major deals on jewelry from that site.

Kim's right, I alway's wondered why guys got engaged so quickly. Everyone had a freakin fiance, to this day that word makes me queezy....My buddy went into debt for a ring for his "fiance" He called it off, and she wouldn't give the ring back, Because of the money her and her family lost on deposits and stuff, I say Good for her!:yes:

bgsuwoody
07-17-08, 07:59 PM
When the hell did Sparkie become the love guru and philisophic genius that he is being in this thread. Still with a little twinge of hardass. Loving it Sparkie. Semper Fi brother.

sparkie
07-17-08, 08:11 PM
Bugs,,,, Again,,,, You know me,,,, Always out for the kill..

Whitey
07-18-08, 02:14 PM

I've known her for 4 years. Her and I were best friends pretty much those 4 years, nearly inseparable. The only problem is.....she was 15 and I was 18 when we met. I always saw her as like a little sister. I was there for her through a major medical problem she had, through all the douche bags that broke her heart and I had to beat the hell out of, pretty much through all those milestones in life that seem so minuscule now but were a big deal when you were younger. She also was there for me through many major problems that I've had. Soooo basically not many of the rules apply to us because we already know each other better than most people. maybe im just being ignorant?

whats really ironic though she just honest to god sent me a picture of her trying on a bridal set she really liked the all together only cost 1200....not too shabby i say so haha.

Old Marine
07-18-08, 03:39 PM
The biggest mark up there are:

Jewlery

Furniture

You will find this out after you have said the magic words "I Do".

Whitey
07-18-08, 03:57 PM
also big markups are USB cables.

when i worked at best buy the discount was whatever the company paid plus sales tax. you buy a USB cable at any store and its like $30. well the company pays about 1.50 a piece for them.

markup is a pain......i'm getting her the Leo