PDA

View Full Version : Just Graduated Boot Camp MCRD SD

jrdnj
07-16-08, 03:54 PM
Well Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been sometime now since I first created my profile here on the leatherneck boards... Here I am now, standing before you, a United States Marine.

I just graduated this last Friday the 11th of July, so I am pretty new to being a Marine, and still am slowly starting to feel what it is like, and what exactly it means to be a U.S. Marine. I am currently on boot leave, back home in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and have become increasingly anxious to get back to training.

So far, life outside of boot camp is not as grand as I thought it would be. It may sound a strange to some, but I don't feel I am alone when I say that I only feel comfortable around other Marines. Somethings don't change, take for instance old friends, colleagues, and even my own family. To each their own I supposed. I am new, antsy in the pants, and ready to rock and roll. But I know I have a long ways to go to really earn the title in my heart. Can't wait to get to MCT, to my MOS school, and out to the fleet and start working for the Corps.

Now for the real question. What sort of knowledge can anyone bestow on a new Marine such as myself? :D

"Semper Fi"
PVT. Johns :usmc:

yellowwing
07-16-08, 04:13 PM
Congratulations Marine! Welcome to The Brotherhood. :usmc:

jackson07
07-16-08, 04:47 PM
Don't be a **** bag. There are more than a few out there. Always try to do your best even when no one is looking.

Congrats and Semper Fi.

RLeon
07-16-08, 04:55 PM
Semper Fidelis Private. Let the fun begin

sparkie
07-16-08, 06:06 PM
"Now for the real question. What sort of knowledge can anyone bestow on a new Marine such as myself? :D"
Never let the Basards wear you down. Gung Friggin Ho.

darkgreen0311
07-16-08, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the biggest fraternity in the world.

:marine:Semper Fi 4 Life
Give Me Liberty Or I'll Get It Myself

Marine84
07-16-08, 06:58 PM
Congratulations and Welcome Home Marine!

jetdoc
07-16-08, 07:27 PM
That feeling about only wanting to be around other Marines is normal as you were only around Marines for the past 3 plus months.

ecfree
07-16-08, 08:11 PM
jrdnj,congratulations MARINE.
Hey kid,have alot of fun while on boot leave,hope you get some.......:banana:
Just remember,when you report back after leave,wipe that sh** eatin grin off your face.
Good luck son,and stay focused.

Pete0331
07-16-08, 08:52 PM
Now for the real question. What sort of knowledge can anyone bestow on a new Marine such as myself? :D

Take a few days off, then do some light PT. You body is still in horrible condition from the rigors of Recruit Training.

Study your Infantry knowledge.

Mark all your uniforms and uniform items in accordance with Marine Corps regulation.

Make sure your uniforms fit. The Recruit Depot fits you for uniforms when you haven't lost much weight, resulting in baggy uniforms at the end of training.

Go through the check list and make sure you have everything you were issued in boot camp and that they are serviceable.

Don't spend money on leave.

Relax but don't be lazy.

Don't be late to checking in at SOI. If anything get there a day early to get your bearings.

BadLuckChuck
07-18-08, 11:11 AM
Congrats bro! Best advice I could give is be where you need to be wearing what you need to wear.

Side Note a lot of guys go out and get their USMC tats right off the bat and I've seen a hundred guys get booted with OOH RAH tats all over them. I would say wait until you believe you've earned it... that is if you plan on getting stamped. I got my pieces after I EAS'd

thewookie
07-18-08, 11:40 AM
Congrats bro! Best advice I could give is be where you need to be wearing what you need to wear.

Side Note a lot of guys go out and get their USMC tats right off the bat and I've seen a hundred guys get booted with OOH RAH tats all over them. I would say wait until you believe you've earned it... that is if you plan on getting stamped. I got my pieces after I EAS'd

Hey Chuck, pretty impressive fruit salad you have there.

Is this something you are doing for Halloween?

Trick or treat?

thewookie
07-18-08, 11:44 AM
Well Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been sometime now since I first created my profile here on the leatherneck boards... Here I am now, standing before you, a United States Marine.

I just graduated this last Friday the 11th of July, so I am pretty new to being a Marine, and still am slowly starting to feel what it is like, and what exactly it means to be a U.S. Marine. I am currently on boot leave, back home in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and have become increasingly anxious to get back to training.

So far, life outside of boot camp is not as grand as I thought it would be. It may sound a strange to some, but I don't feel I am alone when I say that I only feel comfortable around other Marines. Somethings don't change, take for instance old friends, colleagues, and even my own family. To each their own I supposed. I am new, antsy in the pants, and ready to rock and roll. But I know I have a long ways to go to really earn the title in my heart. Can't wait to get to MCT, to my MOS school, and out to the fleet and start working for the Corps.

"Semper Fi"
PVT. Johns :usmc:

Good Job Marine, you have the right attitude and you will go far if you maintain it.

Watch out for the birds

MarineNCO
07-18-08, 11:46 AM
Stay out of trouble. I know that sounds like an easy thing to do but when you have a bunch of other Marines telling you that you can do this or that it is hard. Do what you know to be right. If you have to think on whether doing something is right or wrong then lean towards not doing it.

Be where you need to be when you need to be there. I always tell my Marines that if you are early you are on time and if you are on time you are late. There is a reason for the saying "15 minutes prior".

Don't try and tell your NCOs why you shouldn't have to do something. Just do it and then ask them about it afterwards if you still are wondering.

MCT: Take your Alphas on the plane with you if you are allowed (in a garment bag). Not sure what they allow nowadays but I was at the airport in JVille the other day and saw 3 or 4 young Marines wearing civvies and waiting on lost luggage.

Keep track of ALL of your gear. Don't be the one to come up missing a canteen or god forbid a kevlar.

Do not let problems at home affect your training. The problem at home will likely still be a problem even if you are there so there is no use in worrying about it.

There is alot of good advice i can give but the main piece is to stay focused on being a Marine and doing all manner of things that Marines do and to NOT do those things that Marines do not do.

awbrown1462
07-18-08, 11:52 AM
Keep your nose clean and do as your told and you will be ok MARINE

yellowwing
07-18-08, 11:59 AM

Trick or treat?
Its got to be Chesty Puller's ribbon board. Either that or Chuck is an unsung hero that we missed.

Chumley
07-18-08, 12:01 PM
Congratulations Private!!!!!!!!!

Since you asked, I suggest:

Don't get married for at least 5 years from now...you're young and there is much tail to be had...USMC life is hard on marraiges & families....there is sooooo much tail to be had....did I mention all the free tail.... wrap that rascal too Bro !!!!

Spend more time continuing your education then sitting in the barracks watching TV or out in the titty clubs drinking your paycheck away. Set educational goals and force yourself to acheive them. It will never be cheaper then when you are on active duty....way cheaper.

Bank 50% of your paycheck for your entire enlistment - this is not really far fetched. When you live in the barracks you can save beaucoup $$$ by eating at the chow hall. It adds up really fast. You don't need too much material wise, so keep it light.

Consider a USMC career. The first 1-3 years in the USMC is usually the hardest, then it starts to get easier, more routine, more rank/less hassels in general. Look at all us former Marines here on Leatherneck, many of whom spend all our free time online revisiting the good old days. 20 years FLYS by...getting out at 40 years old with a lifetime of retirement / insurance benefits is HUGE!!! There are almost no civilian sector jobs that offer that anymore.

Don't be stupid. Whether you do 1 tour or a career, if you choose to hang out with sh!tbirds or partiers, it is only a matter of time before you get caught up in something. Just use your judgement...you know what will get you busted....don't do it.

Don't sleep with other Marine's wives. Marine's sisters are OK, but stay away from all married women. Remember, what comes around.... Oh yeah - WM's are not toys. They may kill you in your sleep, so respect them. :call:

Take advantage of the travel. If you want to fly ( as a civilian ) to Okinawa for example, it's just crazy. When you get stationed somewhere, get out and enjoy the world the Marine Corps offers you. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years.

Take care of your Marines. Make us proud and pass that on as you mature.

With the exception of my last two statements, I did not follow most of the ideas I've expressed to you...not so much because I am a hypocrite, but rather, these are some lessons I learned, and the few regrets that I wish I had done a little differently - hindsight is 20/20. Good luck to you Marine!!

Keep your head down and Semper Fidelis!
C

BadLuckChuck
07-18-08, 03:47 PM

Trick or treat?

It's Chesty's hence the quote on the bottom. Like any of us were around for Nicaragua or Haiti.

BadLuckChuck
07-18-08, 04:32 PM
If you're really interested this is what my fruit salad looks like today. Keep in mind i'm a Seabee now.

http://www.navycs.com/gallery2/d/791-4/SCWS.jpg

http://www.usmedals.com/ribbonrackimages/ribbonracks/128608894987205542.jpg
http://www.vah21.org/acw.GIF

Hopefully this next deployment I go on I'll get attached with Marines once again and be able to take the board for the FMF badge. Personally I think former Marines turned sailors should be able to take the board no matter which job they get.

CplKJSpevak
07-18-08, 05:56 PM

Congrat's Marine! best advice.....Stay motivated and stay AWAY from the sh**birds!

Good advice Chuck, ( I knew you were going to warn him about ink);)
I got my EGA tattoo 10 years out