PDA

View Full Version : OIF and OEF Vets Outward Bound Opportunity

thedrifter
07-16-08, 03:25 PM
OIF and OEF Vets Outward Bound Opportunity
Posted By Blackfive

The bottom line is that the Sierra Club was generous is helping Outward Bound to exponentially grow its Veterans Expedition courses. Outward Bound seeks to serve Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans and still active service members to help them with their reintegration. All expenses are covered for up to 1,500 veterans over the course of three years. Registration is now open and Outward Bound is working diligently to get the word out to returning veterans about this great opportunity.

Below is more information:

Outward Bound Offers Wilderness Adventures to Returning War Veterans at No Cost
New Veteran Benefit Provides Camaraderie and Reintegration Support Program; Now Open for Registration

Golden, CO – June 30, 2008 - Outward Bound, the leading provider of experiential education in the United States, today announced official opening of registration for its newly funded wilderness expeditions specifically designed for Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) veterans. All expenses, including round-trip transportation, are fully funded by the Military Family Outdoor Initiative Project, a joint project of the Sierra Club and The Sierra Club Foundation.

“Outward Bound has the track record, resources and commitment of providing first-rate wilderness adventures that are rewarding on many levels,” said Brittany McKee, National Military Representative of the Sierra Club. “They understand the healing power of nature and we believe veterans who experience these courses will truly benefit.”

Any US military veteran, regardless of current military status, who is deployed in support of OIF/OEF is eligible to attend this program.

“The Outward Bound Veterans Expedition I took last year provided me the opportunity to get away from it all and gain a new perspective,” said Matt Payton, 24, a veteran Navy Hospital Corpsman having served in Iraq. “Not only was it a great way to ease back into civilian life, but the camaraderie was great and it gave me the time I needed to decompress before jumping back into school and work. My Outward Bound experience is something I’ll never forget.”

The five- to seven-day expeditions will originate in Outward Bound base camps in California, Colorado, Maine, Minnesota, and Texas. Depending on the location and season, participants will canoe, rock climb, backpack, and dogsled. Course dates and registration information are available online at http://www.outwardboundwilderness.org/veterans.html

“We’re working diligently to get the word out to returning and active service members about this outstanding wilderness experience available to them,” said Mickey Freeman, Outward Bound’s Chief Operating Officer. “We’ve seen first hand the positive impact our expeditions have had on thousands of Vietnam veterans over the years. And we’re excited to be able to serve this new generation of military veterans with all new courses designed specifically for them.”

For over 20 years, Outward Bound has run wilderness expeditions specifically designed for war veterans at no cost to participants. During these transformational wilderness adventures, OIF/OEF veterans have hands-on opportunities to challenge themselves both physically and mentally while building on strengths and reinforcing the positive aspects of military training. They work to regain personal independence, build camaraderie and improve self-confidence to help create a smoother reintegration into civilian life.

About Outward Bound
Outward Bound, founded in 1941 by educator Kurt Hahn, is a non-profit educational organization that serves people of all ages and backgrounds through active learning expeditions that inspire character development, self-discovery and service both in and out of the classroom.

It is Outward Bound’s mission to help individuals and teams achieve their potential and develop the leadership skills needed to serve others and care for the world around them. Today Outward Bound serves 70,000 students and teachers annually.

About The Sierra Club
The Sierra Club's members and supporters are more than 1.3 million of your friends and neighbors. Inspired by nature, we work together to protect our communities and the planet. The Club is America's oldest, largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization.

OIF and OEF vets - Go here for more information on this totally FREE opportunity and a list of excursions coming in the next months. Please help spread the word.

http://www.outwardboundwilderness.org/veterans.html

Ellie