PDA

View Full Version : Security Forces promises

hamilton4814
07-16-08, 01:46 PM
I've been searching the internet for an answer but cant seem to find one. I also havnt been able to use the search function on this site since the addition of the verification picture that wont show up on my PC.

I am currently signed up for a Security Forces UV contract, I understand the difference between UV and UW, and all the schooling i am going to go to and everything. I know you cant tell me if im going to like my job or not, but my recruiter is telling me SF is going to be very fast paced, intense training, and a lot of living out in the feild and doing training exercises etc. A lot of people i've talked to have told me different though, that it is slow paced, and there is a lot of down time. My recruiter is the exact opposite of shady, and i've never heard him mislead me or any other recruit, but this is the next five years of my life and i dont want to make the wrong decision. So if i could just get a clear unbiased opinion i'd be very appreciative.

rkidd4
07-16-08, 02:51 PM
Well why does it matter if the training is fast paced and hard or slow paced and easy? Becoming a Marine and being a Marine is not about the training being easy...Its about becoming apart of the most elite fighting force in the world. They call the it The Few and The Proud for a reason other than it being a cake walk...Just my opinion though. :evilgrin:

slimmy07
07-16-08, 02:59 PM
I have heard it is the same as your recruiter is telling you. I worked with a recruiter who was SF and he said it was fast pace High speed kick Ass training.

thewookie
07-16-08, 03:35 PM
There are so many variables (not to mention OPSEC) that it is tough to describe what you're going to be doing, but I'll give you a few likely scenarios.

Keep in mind, this is what you'll do if you are a regular security forces Marine (not with FAST Co.)

When your platoon, section or squad is "in the wire" guarding stuff then you will be doing just that. You work in rotating cycles between platoons. Think boring but important.

The guard platoon is comprised of Marines who's sole job it is to defend or guard something on-site. This job, could be 3, 7, 14, 21, or 30 days in a row, "in the wire," - broken down into 4, 6, 8, or 12 hour shifts. You might be checking ID's at an ECP (entry control point) or you could be walking around in circle wearing lots of heavy shiat guarding a building with secret squirrel shiat in it. Some Marines spend their whole shift in the "rabbit run" (a place where people/vehicles are searched.) While other guys are driving around in nice Navy vehicles doing perimeter searches. Generally speaking the guard platoon has fixed posts, and roving posts, and or a combination of them, either way your job is to protect something and it's not very glorious.

Then you have another section or platoon that is used as a reactionary force to augment, and help defend the guard platoon asset(s) if compromised. They do drills of simulated attacks for the same period of time that the guard platoon is in the wire.

While those two platoons are doing that, in whatever cycle they are in i.e 3, 7, 14, or 21 day cycle. Another platoon is on libo and training, just chillin. The training is usually site specific and sometimes high speed. Other times it might be going over basic grunt knowledge and drills.

You could also be on a dedicated SRT team: some stations have Marines who's sole job while assigned to a MCSF post would be to respond and defend against various attacks. CQB bubba's, Designated Marksman, Breachers - all sorts of specialties waiting for something to happen, but it never does.

It's not all high-speed, low-drag, but popular to contrary belief; you are not just sitting around in a box. Ask any Marine who has been stationed overseas with MCSF and they will tell you the libo is unmatched when you're living in some of the remote spots that they offer.

That is a basic overview, you could be in many other positions, roles, or jobs, but you'll find that out when you get there. And if you didn't find out, you didn't need to know.

mattlw201
07-16-08, 06:04 PM
Doesnt the training depend on if you go to a FAST team or not?

bbond007
07-16-08, 08:45 PM
..How do you get on FAST COMPANY? Is it like be the best or what?

thewookie
07-16-08, 08:52 PM
Doesnt the training depend on if you go to a FAST team or not?

What?

Speak english please

bbond007
07-16-08, 08:56 PM
SGT, How does FAST work , do you have to indoc like RECON or what?

thewookie
07-16-08, 08:58 PM
..How do you get on FAST COMPANY? Is it like be the best or what?

At Training Company (Security Forces school) they will offer FAST indocs up to those who prequalify. From that point, you determine if you make FAST or not. If you can shoot better then the rest, run faster, and shut the fock up and listen better, then you might make it.

In the Burger King world that we live in where you get everything you want, you may even get an initial contract for FAST, same as they are doing with MARSOC, but if you don't make it, then the contract is moot.

In other words there are no guarantees, but you can control your destiny.

thewookie
07-16-08, 08:59 PM
SGT, How does FAST work , do you have to indoc like RECON or what?

Yes, you take an indoc, not the same as MARSOC.

No two indocs are the same.

bbond007
07-16-08, 09:00 PM
Thank you SGT. i leave in 10 days i can not wait im pumped and im ready to go.. Thanks again for the info.

hamilton4814
07-16-08, 10:00 PM
Thanks a lot for the info Sgt, gives me a reason to push harder in training before I leave to get in FAST, but like rkidd said, I just need to be happy that I'm joining the Marines and just go with the flow!

mbrazil
04-19-09, 11:34 AM
Is your wife aloud to live on base with you or near your duty station?

thewookie
04-19-09, 01:33 PM
Is your wife aloud to live on base with you or near your duty station?

not if she's loud

mbrazil
04-19-09, 02:33 PM
Lol, does that mean yes or no?

thewookie
04-20-09, 08:25 AM
maybe

KilpatrickF250
04-20-09, 10:44 PM
Thank you Sgt. No questions as of yet, but if I think of any I'll send them your way.

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
04-21-09, 05:11 AM
not if she's loud

2 PhuNNy!!!!!!!

I am so glad spell check is part a the program. Now all we gotta do is get him to notice the red lines n right click on them.

mbrazil
04-21-09, 11:28 AM
Lmao, I just realized I spelled that wrong. "Allowed" is what I meant, haha.

thewookie
04-21-09, 02:18 PM
Lmao, I just realized I spelled that wrong. "Allowed" is what I meant, haha.

It's tough for me to give you the correct answer because the regs may/likely have changed. Back in the day when I was in Security Forces, no non-rates, or E-3s, Lance Corporal of Marines or below, got accompanied tours - if it's an accompanied tour that means ur wifey is aloud to go with you, and they pay for it.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. My experience as it relates to this was in Greece and it was only a year, if you go (are stationed) somewhere for more then a year, even as a non-rate, then they usually pay for the wifey, and she's aloud. This doesn't mean in Iraq or Afghanistan if any of you smart azzes were gonna ask.

So I'm just not busting your chops, but any answer I give you could just be blowing hot smoke up your back side, neither one of us want that.

I would guess that the rules are still the same and if you are a BOOT, SHOWER SHOE, or NON-RATE - then the wifey has to stay home unless you wanna pay for it. :bunny:

mbrazil
04-21-09, 02:33 PM
Thank your for the info. I understand things change and every station is different. That helps me get a better idea of what to expect though, so thank you. I guess Ill just have to wait and see what actually happens!

coderiot
04-21-09, 04:31 PM
I'm hoping to go Security Forces, however it looks like I may need to be given an exception for a SECRET clearance.

How does that process work? I'm waiting for the FY 10 jobs to be released and my contract option requests cannot be sent up until then. How does it work?

I presume my waiver code is submitted, then it states whether or not I qualify for a SECRET. If I don't, then a Naval Letter has to be submitted to MCRC for an exception to policy request. Then, it comes back and I can get a SF contract, pending availability.

How does that sound? Completely wrong?

mbrazil
04-24-09, 12:24 AM
One more questiong Sgt. Are you required to live on base?

Petz
04-24-09, 12:52 AM
I've been searching the internet for an answer but cant seem to find one.

this is not a get out of jail free card for be lazy... I bet you're fat as well....

Petz
04-24-09, 12:57 AM
it's not the Air Force... <br />
<br />
just so you know, the DOD has made it a requirement that each service member gets their own room with bathroom (head) and a common living area... this is required to be...

BrokenRhythm
04-27-09, 03:07 AM
Does anyone know the Security Clearance required for Security Forces?

Gunner614
04-27-09, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know the Security Clearance required for Security Forces?

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

Read it, know it, live by it.