PDA

View Full Version : I'm such an idiot! Did any of you fail?

Unforgottenalwa
07-15-08, 10:29 PM
I just want all you awesome guys to know, I am an idiot, I should be burn alive for what I did. So the Marine recruiter comes by to say hello, answer a few questions and so ya awesome that went well, Until he asked if I wanted to take a pre-test ASVAB I said sure and he said it kicked my ass HA. So I said, I'll tell you what in the fall once I finish my senior year up, I'll take the ASVAB at school and I'll pass it with flying colors. I was just nervous and couldn't concentrate on anything. We talked a little longer, and I just feel like an idiot that I didn't take that pre-test more serious. I just hate to think that he will never talk to me again, because I failed that test..... My question to you guys is, did any of you fail it, or I'm I just a complete retard that should go into a hole and die?

sparkie
07-15-08, 10:31 PM
Never took one,,,,,,,,

Marine84
07-15-08, 10:45 PM
What are you spazzin' for? It ain't like you can't take it again. You might have to wait until this particular Recruiter rotates back into the fleet..................

JordanB
07-15-08, 10:59 PM
Yeah, even if you **** up the actual asvab, you can always retake it. If you do decide to join the Corps you are going to learn that mistakes are unavoidable, its how Marines deal with them that makes us who we are.

yellowwing
07-15-08, 11:12 PM
"pre-test ASVAB", so what's the problem?

KevinR90
07-15-08, 11:13 PM
Well to begin with, the pre-test will most likely get you a low score. I got a 76 on the pre-test and an 89 on the real one. So you probably just didn't put much effort into it. Go to the library and get an ASVAB study guide. Yes they're big books, yes studying is like school and is boring, and yes taking a practice test and scoring it takes up more than 3 hours of your free time, but if you put effort into it, it'll help.

After my pre-test I got the studyguide and took one practice test- then did nothing with it, returned it to the library. I put off making a decision on enlisting another 2 or 3 months (wished I hadn't) then took the official one with no preparation the same day I went to MEPS (about 1 or 2 days after I told my recruiter I wanted to enlist).

BR34
07-15-08, 11:14 PM
I took the practice with a Army Recruiter. Didn't even come close to failing though. Were you sober?

Adikt916
07-15-08, 11:14 PM
No offense:

Go buy the "ASVAB for Dummies"

Your ASVAB and GT score is imporant.

Parks
07-15-08, 11:43 PM
I've heard of people failing, so I wouldn't take it too hard. But yeah, failing the pre-test takes some talent.

Adikt916 is right. Go to the library and borrow some ASVAB study guides. Your score is real important if you want a certain job.

sec9
07-15-08, 11:44 PM
Go to military dot com they have a great section on the asvab, you can take practice tests and study for everything you will need to know.

JJA1990
07-15-08, 11:48 PM
Just study up.. apparently you need to.

I actually got worse then my projected score from the pre test.. it told me I would get like a 93, and I got a 85.

Brandon1
07-16-08, 12:11 AM
No biggie. I took the pre test a few months ago, (Mind you I havent been in school or done anything school related in 3 years) and I scored a......12...Thats right a 12. Pretty bad huh? And I actually did try my best on it, but I just forgot everything that I learned. Anyways 2 weeks later after studying like I have never studied before, I took the actual ASVAB and got a 79. Not great, not bad. I'm happy with it though. Moral of the story is...The pre test doesnt mean sh!t. It didnt bother me one bit, because I was expecting a low score, and my Recruiter knows my situation so he took me to the library and checked out ASVAB study guide for me and I studied like a mofo on my breaks. Just worry about the actual test, not the PRE test.

MLMonk
07-16-08, 12:14 AM
I got a 76 on the Pre-Test, and a 76 on the real ASVAB..Not sure how that happened, still qualified for everything, so I am happy.

Go study, I didn't, and see what happened, same thing, I find it would be worth it to you.

ForeverChanged
07-16-08, 04:14 AM
I will tell you this....study for it while you can. I only wish I had put in a little more effort and preparation towards the test. I still did fairly well getting over 105 on every score, oh and make sure you use the bathroom before you take it at MEPS.

edit- and I'll be honest the shape section kicked my rear end

Bolt Action
07-16-08, 06:01 AM
I failed my pre-test by 6 points the first time I took it and my recruiter took me to MEPS anyway. I ended up passing the ASVAB with a 59. No sweat, you can take the pre-test and the ASVAB multiple times. Just try not to too many.

Backblast
07-16-08, 06:03 AM
Don't let this bump in the road discourage you. There are many resources for studying at your local library. I found a great book by Arco called "Master the ASVAB." It is about as thick as the Holy Bible but if you have the time and commitment, then you should be able to read through it.

Put effort into this or you won't become a U.S. Marine.

Good to go?

SlaveToTheCorps
07-16-08, 07:24 AM
I have a friend who failed the actual asvab 3 times...he's now a Corporal in the Marine Corps...it's a little harder for some than others, but if you want it...don't stop until you get it!

danieljogbn
07-16-08, 10:21 AM
My buddy who is in the buddy program with me failed the actual ASVAB twice . He first scored 30, and he scored 27 on the second one, and then he actually passed on the third one with the score of...

MLMonk
07-16-08, 11:22 AM
You can retake the actual test but every time you fail the test, you have to wait for a certain amount of time before you can retake it.

-Poolee Jo

I think it is 6 months wait time to retake the actual test, might be another test I am thinking of though.

slimmy07
07-16-08, 11:40 AM
No offense:

Go buy the "ASVAB for Dummies"

Your ASVAB and GT score is imporant.

No such thing as an ASVAB score.
You have an AFQT(for example a 31 is passing)
GT
MM
EL
CL

AND THEY ARE ALL IMPORTANT!

rkidd4
07-16-08, 11:45 AM
Well to begin with, the pre-test will most likely get you a low score. I got a 76 on the pre-test and an 89 on the real one. .

Yeah dont worry about it...I got a 70 on the pretest and a 94 on the real one...Just study hard. It is afterall only the pretest. The ASVAB is much like the SAT or ACT so you can study those tests and you should do just fine.

Bonzack
07-16-08, 11:50 AM
I never failed it. I always got a qualifying score, my recruiter just wanted me to get better so he kept making me take them over and over and over again.

McSweeney
07-16-08, 01:51 PM
dont know what your issue is. i got a 37 on the one at the recruiting office. and at MEPS on the real asvab i got a 70. not sure why but hey...
i heard guys do better on the real one

coltie52
07-16-08, 10:29 PM
I just want all you awesome guys to know, I am an idiot, I should be burn alive for what I did. So the Marine recruiter comes by to say hello, answer a few questions and so ya awesome that went well, Until he asked if I wanted to take a pre-test ASVAB I said sure and he said it kicked my ass HA. So I said, I'll tell you what in the fall once I finish my senior year up, I'll take the ASVAB at school and I'll pass it with flying colors. I was just nervous and couldn't concentrate on anything. We talked a little longer, and I just feel like an idiot that I didn't take that pre-test more serious. I just hate to think that he will never talk to me again, because I failed that test..... My question to you guys is, did any of you fail it, or I'm I just a complete retard that should go into a hole and die?
Hey bro you can study for the Military ASVAB on www.************* they have long versions and short versions of the test. Go and study and show your recruiter what you can do.

coltie52
07-16-08, 10:30 PM
Its Militarydotcom

egbutler1
07-16-08, 10:43 PM
I failed the damn thing the first time i took it, but i was stupid and "impaired" (if you know what i mean). But I took it again and didn't get impaired that go around and did really well. All you have to do is score a 34 and get like a half good GT score i think its like 91 or something . With a nice score like 34 you will have a awesome MOS in the Infantry. Or if you don't want to be in the infantry Motor T is an option them guys are f-in' rocks. GL on the test, and like other said just look on the internet and take practice tests there.

Desdinova721
07-17-08, 11:07 PM
My recruiter just got a 7 and an 11. I'd bet that statistically, someone choosing answers by random chance alone should have a higher score.

Phantom Blooper
07-18-08, 07:30 AM
Pre ASVAB is like Pre Ejaculation.....WORRY if you don't get it right the next time.....:evilgrin:

jeffsnff89
07-23-08, 10:12 AM
wow looking at your guys score...I only got a 55 but my GT and Mechanics were 117 and 109 or or something like that I kinda want to take it over now get something higher...

LeDave
07-23-08, 02:19 PM
lol dude i took my pre-test and received a 51, i took the real asvab and got a 34, and i believe a 32 is passing. lol. you should study man, especially on those math questions.

Rains
07-23-08, 02:55 PM
Dont be so hard on yourself man, just put your mind to it and you will suceed, try try agian.