PDA

View Full Version : Those Awful Turks

thedrifter
05-12-03, 06:27 AM
05-08-2003

Those Awful Turks

The Early Bird reports that Deputy Secretary of Defense Wolfowitz criticized Turkey this week -- specifically the Turkish military – saying “"I think for whatever reason, they did not play the strong leadership role that we would have expected…”

Well, Paul, there’s a reason for that.

Unlike in America, Turkey is a democracy and has a governing body of elected representatives – a Parliament – that actually has a controlling role in major national decisions like whether to go to war, or to support an ill-thought out invasion of a neighbor.

Unlike in America, where the civilian leadership in the Pentagon is ascendant and controls foreign policy, the Turkish parliament has a powerful voice in whether to commit the nation’s resources. This is a break from Turkey’s past – apparently one Wolfowitz cherishes – where the Turkish military controlled all domestic and foreign politics.

Unlike in America, these parliamentarians couldn’t be bought, even though Mr. Wolfowitz himself, and other Pentagon civilian neo-cons like Feith and Luti, traveled to Ankara promising billions and billions of U.S. taxpayer freebies to the Turks.

Wolfowitz says, by way of warning, "Let's have a Turkey that steps up and says: `We made a mistake. We should have known how bad things were in Iraq, but we know now. Let's figure out how we can be as helpful as possible to the Americans’.”

This is a warning not only to Turks, but to Americans and anyone else who opposed the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

In today’s same Early Bird, a “senior Pentagon official” is quoted in another article discussing the "tectonic shift" of decision-making power on foreign policy from State to the Defense Department. This official agrees that foreign policy power has shifted, and defends the shift with "Anyone who thinks that you can conveniently separate foreign policy, diplomacy, national security and war-fighting is clueless about the realities of global affairs, power politics and modern" war.

Some people may be clueless, but many are not. The Turks are not clueless. Not in the least. Don’t kid yourself that the average Turkish citizen, military officer and parliamentarian understood last year, last month and understands today what is at stake with the U.S. war in and occupation of Iraq.

The rest of the world is not clueless. They witness each day the rise of a Napoleonic empire, complete with strutting Napoleonic figures (take your pick from Bush the Younger, Don the anti-diplomat elder, Cheney the mysterious, or Caesar Wolfowitz). They see this and shudder – not in fear of our great strength, but of our strength combined with our fantastically arrogant stupidity.

Even our British allies understand the sorry historical direction our young Republic is taking. They’ve been there, with militaristic and property-hungry kings sending their young off to kill for the crown.

American foreign policy -- and some domestic policy -- is currently under the grip of empire-envying, force-loving radicals brought in not by elections, but through appointment. Remember George Bush’s campaign pledge of a foreign policy of humility?

Yeah, me neither.

Secretary of State Powell has a tough job to do. As a retired four star general, I have full faith in his abilities to succeed in the face of the largely draft-dodging, military service-avoiding neo-conservative crowd.

But just in case he doesn’t, perhaps we should all brush up on the oath of office we once swore. Especially the part where we said “I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same…”

Actually, Wolfowitz has the right idea, at heart. Militaries have an important leadership role to play in foreign policy decision-making and defense of a nation’s ideals.

It’s just too bad ours hasn’t.

Sempers,

Roger

greybeard
05-12-03, 09:32 PM
So, do you think founding fathers, like Thomas Jefferson would cringe to know that the President of the USA can send troops into battle without congressional approval or a congressional declaration of war?

firstsgtmike
05-13-03, 02:00 AM
This article is not worthy of debate. Regardless of the position you choose to take, it is so flawed and full of holes that it cannot be used to make ANY valid point.

For example:

"Unlike in America, where the civilian leadership in the Pentagon is ascendant and controls foreign policy, the Turkish parliament has a powerful voice in whether to commit the nation’s resources." End Quote.

The Pentagon does NOT control the purse strings, elected officials do.

"They witness each day the rise of a Napoleonic empire, complete with strutting Napoleonic figures...." End quote.

I've read similar comments citing Hitler as an example, but if they did that, they couldn't comment on the unelected Pentagonians.

I love the way the author of the article tries to make his point. Using his logic I'm sure he would agree with me:

"Statistically speaking, the average American has one breast and one testicle."

However, I have yet to meet an above described "average" American.

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

greybeard
05-13-03, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but I'm always trying to get someone to bite on that question I asked. Usually some liberal will jump on it and start the familar
"Only congress has the authority to send America's troops into combat".

Not so- forget the war powers act. The precedent was set over 200 yrs ago by the writer of our Declaration of Independence.
Next time ya hear the Marine Hymm, remember that.

Scarcely had the President entered upon the duties of his office when our commerce in the Mediterranean was interrupted by the pirates in that region. Tripoli, the least considerable of the Barbary powers, came forward with demands unfounded either in right or compact and avowed the determination to extort them at the point of the sword on our failure to comply peaceably before a given day. The President with becoming energy immediately put in operation such measures of resistance as the urgency of the case demanded, without awaiting the advice of Congress.
The style of the challenge admitted but one answer. He sent a squadron of frigates into the Mediterranean with assurances to the Bey of Tripoli of our sincere desire to remain in peace, but with orders to protect our commerce at all hazards against the threatened attack. The Bey had already declared war in form. His cruisers were out; two had arrived at Gibraltar. Our commerce in the Mediterranean was blockaded, and that of the Atlantic in peril. The arrival of the American squadron dispelled the danger, however. One of the Tripolitan cruisers, having fallen in with and engaged a small schooner of ours which had gone out as a tender to the larger vessels, was captured with a heavy slaughter of her men and without the loss of a single one on our part. This severe chastisement, with the extraordinary skill and bravery displayed by the Americans, quieted the pretensions of the Bey and operated as a caution in future to that desperate community of freebooters.

greensideout
05-13-03, 09:46 PM
Tripoli---it seems that those renegade raghead piles of crap keep showing up in our history.

firstsgtmike
05-14-03, 04:58 AM
greybeard,

I am not a student of history. But when the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, there are games I choose not to play.

However; when forced to play, we will play by MY rules. If you are aganst killling me, you will lose. You can win a hundred times, I only need to win ONCE, and the game is OVER.

Life is as simple and as black and white as you choose to make it.

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

greybeard
05-14-03, 09:01 PM
firstsgtmike, it was a simple rhetorical question. Not sure what it has to do with a game or your rules, but that is a very big 'if'.

" If you are aganst killling me, you will lose. You can win a hundred times, I only need to win ONCE, and the game is OVER."

firstsgtmike
05-14-03, 09:39 PM
Greybeard,

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that.

I reread it again and it was too heavy a response to a philosophical exercise.

greybeard
05-14-03, 10:51 PM
I kinda like it!! First time I've heard it put in exactly those words.
Oh, there's plenty of philosophical potential there too. Been my experience, we better know our opponents well. There's been plenty of big guys had their clocks cleaned because they pushed a timid guy once too often and a little too hard. I like to think every American has a line that can't be crossed, regardless of what they may say their personal beliefs are.
I thought that line was crossed on 9-11-01, but evidently it wasn't for some. There's still a lot of gray out there.

lurchenstein
05-15-03, 01:54 AM
How 'bout them Turks? ("New Champions of Democracy"!)