PDA

View Full Version : Poolee functions

LHMHMOM
07-14-08, 10:23 AM
My son is in DEP and will ship to boot camp in June 2009. Saturday 7/12 was his second poolee function. They had a beach run. My parents have a beach cabin so we offered to cook for the kids and recruiters. There is a local Marine family support group and we invited them as well.

My kids have always been involved in group activities. Baseball, football, band, music classes, dancing, drill team, cheerleading, theatre just to name a few. They also have good friends who are polite and very respectful. My husband and I have always been involved in their activities and helped with group functions. I have never had an experience like we did cooking for these future Marines and their recruiters. They were so polite and thankful for what little we did. We grilled burgers, links and hot dogs. The recruiters brought almost everything we needed so we didn't even buy very much. It was the most rewarding thing that I have ever done in my life!! We were thanked repeatedly and they acted like it was a meal fit for a king. I truly think I got more out of it than they did. If this is what the Marines will make out of my son, I hope all of three of my children become Marines.

The family support group has decided to host these monthly poolee functions in the future. Every month we will feed these kids and their recruiters when they work out. I can't wait for the next function. They aren't anywhere close to being Marines yet and to see the pride in their faces when they are together working as a group is unbelievable.

I would encourage everyone to check with the recruiters in your area to see if you can help with something like this. It's a wonderful thing to see these kids working so hard to prepare for boot camp and to be able to be a small part of it.

robpritc
07-16-08, 04:36 PM
I agree, our son was in the DEP for a year before he left. They had poolee PT every single week, once a week, and then once a month also. The camaraderie was awesome. I watched my son begin to grow and change (for the better) during that time. It was wonderful!

sparkie
07-16-08, 06:29 PM
Soooo,,,,,, Your just learning What The Hell A Marine is??? Lisren Up,,,,, A Marine is the Best this country has to offer,,,, Bar none,,, Bring it on.
A Marine loves his country, And Mamma,,,,, And will Give his life for that,

LHMHMOM
07-17-08, 08:17 AM
Yes Sparkie, I am just now learning what a Marine is. We don't have much military experience in my family so we are learning from scratch. I was very concerned and upset when my son finalized his decision to join the Marines. It's not that I thought it was a bad thing, I didn't. I think it was more the unknown that scared me. Now, I have never been more proud or excited about anything that my children have ever done.

I watched the military channed during Marine week, I have read books and everything I can find on the internet and I have talked to anyone I can find who knows anything about the military. Doing this and seeing these kids together on Saturday has done wonders for me as a Mom. I know this is the right decision for my son and I truly hope that my younger son makes the decision to join the Marines as well. I do realize the risk involved in joining the military so I'm not looking through rose colored glasses, but I also know that they will be prepared for anything that comes their way.

Thank you to all of the Marines here who answer our questions. You have truly helped this Mom to see that my son has made a decision that will positively change him for the rest of his life.

ScottsMom
07-17-08, 08:56 AM
I come from a very long line of Marines in my family, but I have to say that, that was very well said.

LHMHMOM
07-17-08, 09:10 AM
Thanks Gina. It is so difficult to put my feeling into words right now. I just don't think there are words to describe how proud and excited I am for him, and how appreceiated I felt after cooking for those kids and recruiters. I can't wait to do it again!!

davblay
07-17-08, 09:18 AM
Ya know, the Corps moves on it's stomach! Keep Marines fed, paid and getting thier mail, and they are a happy group!

Thank you for your kindness to our Poolees Ma'am and good luck to your son!

Dave

LHMHMOM
07-17-08, 09:30 AM
Thanks Dave. I really feel like I should be thanking them for allowing me to be a part of their training.

By the way, I read your post about the recruit whose group was not getting mail and I sent a letter and some jokes. I will continue to send them mail until they graduate.

Hopefully, if my son ever needs something and I'm not in a position to provide it someone else will be able to. What goes around comes around.

egbutler1
07-17-08, 09:44 AM
First off let me thank you for putting this together Ma'am. I was in the DEP for a year before I shipped off and we did lots of things, but nothing like what you have done. As for Marines we are the best of the best, we take nothing for granted so you will get a lot of thank you and please and just overall politeness that is what we are taught. We are professional in everything we do, even at a nice simple poolee bbq. You never hear about the great things we do as Marines, but as soon as one Marine messes something up its all over the news. We have a title and reputation to uphold and we are proud to do it. I have been out of the Marines now for 2 years and I still am just as proud and polite as ever. We need more dedicated parents such as yourself, most parents and people in general have the wrong view about Marines. Most people think we are dumb, blood thirsty killers. When in reality we are Smart, well put together, well oiled freedom giving machine. You have saw with your own eyes how we are, spread the word. Once again Thank you for what you have done. Semper Fidelis!

Cpl. Butler, Emerson (0311 Combat infantry rifleman, OIF combat veteran.)

sparkie
07-17-08, 05:51 PM
Thanks Dave. I really feel like I should be thanking them for allowing me to be a part of their training.

By the way, I read your post about the recruit whose group was not getting mail and I sent a letter and some jokes. I will continue to send them mail until they graduate.

Hopefully, if my son ever needs something and I'm not in a position to provide it someone else will be able to. What goes around comes around.

See what you started?????? You care, Moms care, Dads care, We care.

Thank you Dave.

LHMHMOM
07-18-08, 02:48 PM
Cpl Butler - Yes, I have seen it with my own eyes. My kids are good kids but they will become better people just by being exposed to Marines. My younger son has been invited to participate at the poolie functions anytime he wants to and I will encourage him to do so. It will only make him a better person.

Even if something would happen and my children do not become Marines I would still like to be involved. I think with the support group being out in the public and doing fund raisers we will be exposing more people to the Marines and hopefully the attitude that people have will become more positive. Personally, I have only heard good things like they have the toughest and the best.

Thank you all for everything that you do for our country and for my family!!!