PDA

View Full Version : Navy nurse pioneer leads renewal of Corps vows

thedrifter
07-14-08, 06:45 AM
July 14, 2008

Navy nurse pioneer leads renewal of Corps vows
By AUDREY PARENTE
Staff writer

DAYTONA BEACH -- While serving in the Navy, Joan Pfieffer met Helen Keller, nursed World War II wounded and never forgot the blue-eyed sailor with severe nerve damage who made her a new duffel bag using one hand.

Pfieffer of Daytona Beach is among those who enlisted in the Navy Nurse Corps, which is 100 years old this year.

The 85-year-old resident of Emory L. Bennett Veterans Nursing Home was honored at the home recently for her military service, while staff nurses renewed their vows and commemorated the Navy Nurse Corps established in 1908.

Pfieffer earned her status as Registered Nurse and was interning at St. Joseph's Catholic Hospital when the United States was plunged into World War II.

"We were all gung-ho, and we were going to help," Pfieffer said in an interview at the nursing home. "I learned even more than I did in training with all the amputees, gas gangrene and so many other things you never saw in the emergency room on civilian duty."

She was assigned to the USS Comfort, a hospital ship, "to set up emergency departments" at a time when the ship was docked. But women at that time were not sent overseas.

"We trained male corpsmen and they went overseas," she said. When the wounded returned, she was there waiting, at St. Albans Naval Hospital on Long Island.

"They came in from all different war zones -- brain injuries, back injuries, you just name it," she said. "We even had a locked ward for 'sniper's knee' -- for those who, whenever they heard a noise, as reaction from the guns going off, would drop to the ground.

"I remember all of them and some of their names. One with red hair and blue eyes had nerve damage. We became really good friends. Jimmy Faye. He made me a duffel bag with one hand," Pfieffer said. "I met Helen Keller who was there with her teacher. She was speaking to all the families in a big auditorium. And a lot of movie stars came, like Betty Grable."

Marines provided physical training for the nurses.

"Hep two, three, four -- hup two, three four, they were really rough on us," the New Jersey native recalled.

Four years of service taught that "love and compassion was the name of the game," which Pfieffer put to use during her career. About six years ago Pfieffer broke her hip and became a resident at Emory L. Bennett Veterans Nursing Home.

"It was good to hear words from a leader and pioneer," said Drema Bozich of Holly Hill, a nurse at Emory L. Bennett Nursing Home.

"I am not a nurse, but she is very inspirational to me for all she has accomplished," said retired Navy corpswoman Belkis Pineyro-Wiggins, now administrator of Emory L. Bennett. "She paved the way for me."

Pfieffer said she was nervous about speaking at the recent event.

"I got up to the podium, said a prayer, and it was like somebody else started talking," she said. "I told them how I worked in nursing for 42 years and then decided to give the public a rest."

audrey.parente@news-jrnl.com

Ellie