PDA

View Full Version : 24th Marines, Reserve Infantry.

Backblast
07-13-08, 09:02 PM
Marines,

Has anyone deployed or is anyone currently deployed with 24th Marines? They are a reserve Infantry unit that is in Iraq. I am looking to hear of their performance from active duty units and reserve units alike.

I ask of their battle background because it is likely that I will join their unit pending an eventual transfer to School of Infantry. Of course, there are no guarantees in the Corps for any duty station. So I want to be sure I am making the right decision on all sides.

I am very skeptical about joining the reserves but I will have to until the SOI billet that I want opens up. I am going into this expecting to deploy. Being an active duty grunt for four years has me wondering about the combat performance of reserve units in Iraq. I don't feel I am wrong to pose this question.

I do not intend to start a ****storm about reserves versus active duty. My apologizes if this discussion gets a little hot.
:flag:

UsmcMotorT
07-14-08, 06:39 AM
Marines,

Has anyone deployed or is anyone currently deployed with 24th Marines? They are a reserve Infantry unit that is in Iraq. I am looking to hear of their performance from active duty units and reserve units alike.

I ask of their battle background because it is likely that I will join their unit pending an eventual transfer to School of Infantry. Of course, there are no guarantees in the Corps for any duty station. So I want to be sure I am making the right decision on all sides.

I am very skeptical about joining the reserves but I will have to until the SOI billet that I want opens up. I am going into this expecting to deploy. Being an active duty grunt for four years has me wondering about the combat performance of reserve units in Iraq. I don't feel I am wrong to pose this question.

I do not intend to start a ****storm about reserves versus active duty. My apologizes if this discussion gets a little hot.

I'm not a grunt, but I went on several exercises with 1/23 reserve unit out of Houston, TX. And the line companies were good to go in my opinion. Hard chargin motivated Grunts with good NCO leadership.

KABAR7
07-15-08, 02:43 PM
Marines,

I fought in Iraq with 3rd Battalion 25th Marines in 2005 and they had active units in support of THEM on operations. Alot of units I've seen fighting in Iraq as Reservists are better than good to go. They are capable and have more life experience and diversity than active units. I think the leadership may lack a little in the Officer Corps on the Reserve side...sometimes alot, but the enlisted are top notch...alot are former active duty who are more concerned about thier wife and kids and thier fellow Marines than getting wasted at the barracks every weekend.

FistFu68
07-15-08, 02:47 PM
:usmc: THE 24TH MARINES ARE A GOOD AS ANY,SECOND 2 NONE :usmc: :thumbup:

outlaw3179
07-15-08, 03:12 PM
I deployed with 2/24 to Iraq in 04. We were a very good unit. I can say that because Ive also deployed with 2/1 twice. Both very good units. Ive heard of bad reserve units but I can tell you that this unit was good to go. Very good leadership, from the team leaders all the way to the top. They are currently in theatre , and are expected to return, in a little bit.
Last time we were there , we were the first reserve battalion operating completly on our own. We lost I think it was 17 Marines but did every mission that is expected of any other Marine unit in Iraq. If you join this unit wether is Echo , Fox, or Golf or Weapons these Marines are combat veterans. Alot of them are prior service active and so they have a ton of knowledge. If theyve only been reservist they they have one if not two combat deployments under their belt. Very knowledgable, and very professional.
Reserves bring a different level of maturity , experience, and knowledge. Many of them have specialized trades everything from carpentry, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, mechanics etc. Many of them own their own businesses or are in college. So theyre different from active duty because of that reason . Not saying either one is better but that difference makes them unique in their ability to use their talents and abilitys together on deployment.
This time the tempo in Iraq is not the same as in 04 so they are not as actively engaged as we were back then, but their mission has remained the same . Locate , close with and engage. Unfortunatley Ive talked to alot of my friends back there and they are bored out of their fu*king skull.
If you choose to join that regiment you will be going to a very good unit, with an awesome lineage with great history. You will be surrounded by proffesionals with the knowlede and experience of two combat deployments.
Let me know if you have any other questions Marine.

Semper Fi and thanks for your continued service.

outlaw3179
07-15-08, 03:15 PM
One more thing, they are going to be returning very very soon. If you are looking to deploy or maybe not interested in deploying soon, they wont be leaving for a while. Expect 2 or 3 years.

Backblast
07-15-08, 04:15 PM
Thanks Marines...these were the answers that I was looking for.

Backblast
07-15-08, 08:59 PM
One more thing, they are going to be returning very very soon. If you are looking to deploy or maybe not interested in deploying soon, they wont be leaving for a while. Expect 2 or 3 years.

My recruiter says they return in August or September. Your input was very helpful. Thanks for the reply.

I am sure you can understand my concern about reserve infantry. I just don't know what to expect coming from 1/1.

Semper Fi SGT!

Petz
07-16-08, 01:32 AM
uh, those who said they won't get called up for 2 -3 years... well they don't know, neither will anyone else for that matter. Reservists are there to fill the T/O of theater operations, they don't have normal rotations like active duty do.

24th is on selfridge ANGB in MI and god knows where else across the country, but like they said about being prior service is true, so many Marines get out and join them that the amount of leadership and knowledge is amazing... and the fact that reservists hold down two careers makes them ALL that much more impressive.

Just go check in and not suck... that's the best advice anyone can give you young brother.

BR34
07-16-08, 05:40 AM
Marines,

I'm stationed in KC, working a couple buildings down from the 24th. All of them I've ever met or talked to seemed to be squared away, although I honestly have never trained with them (I'm AD, non-infantry).

outlaw3179
07-16-08, 09:48 AM
Yeah dude I can understand . I was with 2/1 then went straight into the reserves. Youll be allright. Just take your knowledge and experience share it with them.