PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick at PI

Bonzack
07-13-08, 08:29 PM
I've heard from a lot of marines that a lot of recruits get pnumonea (wow. I can't spell) while there. I was just wondering how that works. Can you keep training or do you -have- to go to the sick...

bgsuwoody
07-13-08, 08:48 PM
Everyone gets sick...period. I had a URI and was coughing up blood and ****. You can go to sickbay, but dont be going all the time. On that note though dont let **** get so bad that you get things like pneumonia. It ruins everything and you'll be on the island for a while. EXPECT TO GET SICK it happens, but in the Marine Corps you don't get sick days...imagine those guys in Iraq, they can't just not do their job because they are sick.

Bonzack
07-13-08, 08:55 PM
Right. I just dont want cellulitis or pneumonia. Or a URI. O.O

E5NAMKROW
07-13-08, 08:59 PM
Marines is CAPITALIZED there poolee

bgsuwoody
07-13-08, 08:59 PM
You'll get it, it just happens. Think of it like this...you got small rooms with nearly 100 recruits bringing in all their little common cold like germs that they have become used to. However...I from Ohio may not be immune to this New York crap and the New York guy might not be used to mine, so everyone gets sick and its bad. It usually ends after about a month so just give it some time.

Bonzack
07-13-08, 09:04 PM
AHH Sorry about not capitalizing Marines.

Phew. It only lasts roughly a month.

ZSKI
07-13-08, 09:07 PM
**** i was sick my whole time there. every time i would get better i would catch another guys ****. It got so bad we used bleach to clean every dam thing

E5NAMKROW
07-13-08, 09:14 PM
Everone gets sick in boot. It starts on one end and works it way around the squad bay and by the time you are completely over the cough or whatever you start the symptoms again. Alot of exercise will eventually sweat it out of the platoon though. I got cellulitus of the knee when i was there as well. Knee swelled up twice its size and eventualy returned to normal. We didnt have any get pnumonia though. You keep training as usual unless its extreme. The drill instructors know your sick and will not expect you to be 110 percent. But you still train. At least we did. Not sure how it all works out now. APOLOGY ACCEPTED

darkgreen0311
07-13-08, 09:15 PM
Not to mention pink eye. We had one guy who caught the crabs and we had to air our mattresses outside and field day the squadbay.

:marine:Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

UsmcMotorT
07-14-08, 07:01 AM
If you get a little cold, sore throat, or blisters, etc; suck it the hell up. You'll do nothing but screw your training and become a target for your DIs.

At one point in bootcamp, we had 4 recruits go to sick call then get bed rest for like 2 days. My SDI was ****ed! and you dont want to **** off Big Daddy because he controls the tempo and the other DIs.

He told us, why the hell would you go to sick call for a little cold just to stay in the squadbay in the very same place you got sick! You need to PT and get fresh air so you can circulate your blood, yadda yadda. Ever since that, we all sucked it up.

Don't sell yourself short, when you're in the fleet and you're in the heat of battle, you gotta let those little things go; there's no time outs.

Now if you get something like Gonnaria of the mouth, then that's a different story.

Phantom Blooper
07-14-08, 08:08 AM
Labeled as a sick bay commando is something you do not want to be. If you are bonafide sick...or hurt with no relief in sight by all means go to sick call.

Some recruits cannot with two hands and a GPS find their azz...but they can find the way to sickbay to get out of training. Do as the drill instructors say and keep hydrated and keep your sanitation up as much as possible and you should be fine. If you are sick your drill instructor will insure you go to sick call to keep you from being a liability to yourself and the platoon. If you are malingering and it is proven stand by to stand at attention in front of the Old Man.....:evilgrin:

HurricaneRJ
07-14-08, 04:16 PM
I was sick the first three weeks I was there. I had a URI for 2/3 of the way, and I caught Pneumonia during the crucible. You'll be so sick that it won't matter, just remember this acronym.

FIDO

Fvck It Drive On

A Marine Sgt. taught me that a long time ago, is still use it today.

Sonic13
07-14-08, 04:55 PM
Ugh christ, EVERYONE gets sick. No matter what you do, you get sick. I got on the island on June 18th and by July 4th, my throat was so sore that it was starting to close up. Being sick at bootcamp is one of the hardest challenges i thought, its only for 3 months though, just always remember, all the pain you'll go threw is only temporary.

CplKJSpevak
07-14-08, 07:57 PM
The DI's had a name for that damn cough we all gave each other, doe's anyone remember? The only concern I ever had in Boot camp was numb toes.. When I was told that was normal (with the new boots and all) I said "Good to go!" and off I went..

GySgtRet
07-14-08, 09:00 PM
We had recruits that got sick. It was like a kennel cough, than pnuemonia, although we had one recruit that did have it out of out the platoon. You definantely do not want to be known as a "sickbay commando". Legitimate occurences of illiness do occur, for the most part just as the other Marines have advised here, PT and more PT will take care of it. You will probably have many opportunities to PT anyway so you may as well suck it up and start now. I just know that you have.

Gunny out
:usmc:

CplKJSpevak
07-15-08, 04:29 AM
Sweat it right out! LOL. Gunny I was born when you were in Boot camp:).....just thought I'd throw that in there.

UsmcMotorT
07-15-08, 07:03 AM
You know I did go to Sick Call for a rash on my arm. While there I told them I had a cough and they gave me cough drops, I ate them like candy :D

They were good to. So If you have to go to Sick Call, at least get some cough drops out of it.

THAT AINT IT
07-15-08, 10:11 AM
we never really had anyone get really sick just your average colds and stuff. but i was the only one who got pink eye and i got it bad in both eyes. my senior literally forced me to go to sick call after she saw how bad it had gotten. if they know that youre really sick they will make you go even if you think youre fine. they dont want you contaminating the rest of your platoon.

Backblast
07-15-08, 10:15 AM
Sweat it right out! LOL. Gunny I was born when you were in Boot camp:).....just thought I'd throw that in there.

ooh-freakin-RAH:flag:

AL49BGN
07-15-08, 10:35 AM
Only go to sickbay if you have a legitamate medical issue however do not avoid it if you need it.I got cellulitis during third phase and made it worse by not going.I was lucky that it didn't force me into a medical platoon and I was able to graduate on time.Good luck!

cantonmark
07-15-08, 12:27 PM
I was never sick during training. My son is at PI right now and he has went from no voice to ear infection to saying lots of recruits have been sick at one time or another. He decided not to go to Sick Call. I wrote him not to let something go to far before he did go. So far so good. He has decided to just suck it up for now. T19 for him.

darkgreen0311
07-15-08, 12:50 PM
I also lucked out at boot camp i never caught anything.

:marine:Semper Fi 4 Life
Give Me Liberty Or I'll Get Up And Get It Myself

CarolinaMarine
07-17-08, 12:39 AM
Unfortunately i came down with pneumonia at boot camp. Never went to sick call (maybe a bad idea?) and had to almost be carried off the parade deck during drill practice. Spent an extra 2months on the lovely island and 10 days in the Navy hospital!

Lemme just say it totally SUCKED at the time. Having to have your Senior drill instructor and series commander come into your hospital room and tell you they have to drop you. That HURTS. It really hurts. But once you pickup again, its time to complete the mission. Looking back i wouldn't trade it for anything, came from Fox Co, graduated with Hotel Co.....stayed with 2nd BN!

If you are truely sick, go to sick call. You'll be given crap for it but it keeps you moving, not dead in the water in EHP/MRP.

SlaveToTheCorps
07-17-08, 07:49 AM
IMHO...If you are sick, there is no shame in going to sick hall. However, I know plenty of recruits who went to sickhall in hopes of having to be sent home for other things. Don't be one of these people who sucks it up & then gets so sick they have to go home. There is nothing wrong with getting your graduation date delayed, you will still be a Marine. Don't be like those of us who get sent home, because we are too pig-headed! I was forced to go to sick hall & after 137 on the island was sent home. At the time I was upset, but in hindsight you're NO good to ANYONE sick.

Respectfully,
Vanessa-Rose

sscjoe
07-17-08, 08:35 AM
Only go to sickbay if you have a legitamate medical issue however do not avoid it if you need it.I got cellulitis during third phase and made it worse by not going.I was lucky that it didn't force me into a medical platoon and I was able to graduate on time.Good luck!

I had the same thing in one of my big toes after the rifle range. Blew it off until I got caught in the Series CO'S hygene inspection. Also was lucky I didn't get sent to MRP. Thankfully it happened between the range and Elliots Beach.:scared:

joecoul89
07-17-08, 11:40 AM
Just wondering, why is cellulitis so common down at Parris Island? I just hear a lot of people talk about it...