View Full Version : Commander reflects on MEF tenure

thedrifter
07-13-08, 07:59 AM
Commander reflects on MEF tenure
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
July 13, 2008 - 12:01AM
JENNIFER HLAD
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Lt. Gen. Keith Stalder will hand over the reins of II Marine Expeditionary Force to Maj. Gen. Dennis Hejlik next week, leaving what Stalder calls "the greatest assignment of my career" and heading to Hawaii to assume command of Marine Forces Pacific.

As commanding general of II MEF, Stalder has faced challenges at home and abroad, working to prevent motorcycle deaths and suicides in garrison, as well as training and deploying Marines and sailors around the globe.

But the MEF's challenges have also largely been its biggest accomplishments, Stalder said.

One of the most visible deployments was II MEF (Forward)'s successful deployment to Iraq's Anbar province.

"I think everybody is aware that things out in the western part of Iraq have improved markedly," Stalder said. "I think the forces we sent over there really built on the successes of the early rotations of Marines, which of course is exactly what we wanted to do."

Training teams - small groups of service members sent to train military or police forces in Iraq - have become more and more common, Stalder said, and while finding the right mix of Marines with the correct skills, experience and backgrounds is not always easy, the teams "have really made a difference ... all over Iraq."

The 22nd, 24th and 26th Marine Expeditionary Units have all deployed to various locations during his tenure. The 24th MEU helped to evacuate American citizens out of Beirut, Lebanon, in 2006 and is now serving in Afghanistan. Other II MEF Marines have deployed to Japan, Africa and even South America.

"There's a lot going on here, and the biggest challenges are force sourcing and getting the right people trained and in the right place at the right time, but we've been able to do that," he said.

The demands of fighting and sourcing a two-front war are felt around the Corps, Stalder said.

"I think probably everybody in the Marine Corps is 50 to 70 percent busier than they were, say, in 2001," he said.

For example, he said, when the forward element of the MEF is deployed, the staff drops down to 30 or 40 percent of its normal numbers.

"That means everybody works twice as hard, and they do, and they cover the bases ... and they make extraordinarily good decisions with very limited resources," Stalder said. "It's an inspiring place to be."

Last fall, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway proposed shifting Marine forces from Iraq to Afghanistan. The proposal was nixed in December by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, but the recent success of Lejeune Marines in Afghanistan's Helmand province have renewed talk of increasing the Marine footprint in the country.

Whether that happens will depend on the conditions in Iraq, Stalder said, but if the decision to shift focus to Afghanistan is made, the Marines and sailors of II MEF will be prepared.

"I'm very comfortable that we'll be ready when the time comes. It's up to the national leadership to make those decisions, and we'll be ready when they're ready," he said.

Still, Stalder said, "we don't have a tasking to do anything different than we've been doing. We're on the ball for Iraq, and so our training is focused on that like a laser beam."

Stalder came to the MEF after years of experience with the marine expeditionary forces. He served as deputy wing commander at 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, deputy commanding general for I MEF during the first part of Operation Iraqi Freedom and commanding general of 3rd MAW in Iraq, among other assignments.

So there weren't many surprises at II MEF, he said.

But, he said, there are a few things he would change if he could go back and do it again - mainly starting the motorcycle safety and suicide prevention programs earlier.

"It took me a little while to see the trend," he said. "We've still got more work to do, and we'll continue to do that, and I have no doubt (Maj.) Gen. Hejlik will keep doing that. Those were two important programs, and we made some real headway there. We've just got more work to do."

Stalder said it was an honor to serve with II MEF, with the ability "to do things that change the institution in ways that will help Marines that are yet to come."

"To stay in and put the uniform on every day is a privilege, and of course being the commander of II MEF allowed me to do that another couple years," he said.

Stalder will pass the flag to Hejlik in a ceremony July 25. Though Hejlik - who currently serves as commander of the Lejeune-based Marine Special Operations Command - does not need any advice, Stalder said he would offer what he tells all commanders.

"In spite of the demands, take the time to enjoy being a commander," Stalder said. "It's the best job in the galaxy. In my opinion, being a Marine Corps commander is a better job than being the president or the pope or a rock star."

Contact interactive content editor Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie