PDA

View Full Version : Marine of the Quarter

jp84
07-12-08, 02:15 PM
Hey all,

I have my first Marine of the quarter board coming up and I was looking for some tips to help prepare. I've been studying all my general knowledge so far. What type of questions usually get asked? Do they usually want the "text book" answer? or your real opinion? etc etc.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx!

:usmc: S/F

Lcpl jP

Big Jim
07-12-08, 02:34 PM
Hey all,

I have my first Marine of the quarter board coming up and I was looking for some tips to help prepare. I've been studying all my general knowledge so far. What type of questions usually get asked? Do they usually want the "text book" answer? or your real opinion? etc etc.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx!

:usmc: S/F

Lcpl jP

STUDY YOUR GENERAL ORDERS, BASIC MARINE CORPS HISTORY AND TRADITIONS, CHAIN OF COMMAND...MOS FAMILIARARITY AND EVERYTHING HAVING TO DO WITH YOUR IMMEDIATE DUTY STATION. THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL YOU WHAT QUESTIONS THEY'LL BE ASKING BUT IT WON'T HURT TO ASK ONE OF YOUR NCOS THIS QUESTION...HE MIGHT AT LEAST TELL YOU WHAT AREA TO FOCUS YOUR ATTENTIONS, OK?

HAVE CONFIDENCE WITHOUT BEING NERVOUS AND JUST GO IN THERE WITH A FRESHLY PRESSED, IRISH-PENNANTED UNIFORM, A FRESH HAIRCUT AND SHAVE AND TRIM YOUR FINGERNAILS AND SHINY BOOTS AND DO YOUR BEST. IF THEY ASK SPECIFIC QUESTIONS...GIVE THEM SPECIFIC ANSWERS...THEY WANT TO KNOW IF YOU CAN THINK ON YOUR FEET!! THEY'LL ASK YOU YOUR OPINIONS AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS...JUST BE READY FOR THE UNEXPECTED AND DON'T HESITATE TOO LONG ON ANY OF YOUR ANSWERS, OK?

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS JUST ANSWER QUICKLY, "I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION AT THIS TIME...GUNNY OR SIR OR MA'AM..." UNDERSTAND? DON'T FORGET TO USE SOME MOUTHWASH BEFORE YOU GO IN AND A LIL DAB OF COLOGNE WON'T HURT YOU EITHER...NOT TOO MUCH THOUGH!! YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO GAG ON IT...JUST ENOUGH TO REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE A SQUARED AWAY MARINE AND DESERVE THIS RECOGNITION...OK? GOOD LUCK!!!

Pete0331
07-12-08, 02:36 PM
Hey all,

Study everything. Only general knowledge won't cut it. It depends on who is asking the questions.

Nate catlett
07-12-08, 07:17 PM
how do you get picked for Marine of the quarter? I know its not helping you any I am just curious.

SGT7477
07-12-08, 08:19 PM
Be truthful on everything asked, Semper FI.

Sgt0331
07-12-08, 09:07 PM
Always maintain your bearing, even when you do not know the answer that will way heavily with the panel as well.

I was lucky enough to go infront of a couple boards and I studied my arse off, I would do well on the Company level but when it went higher I flopped. Good luck and Semper Fi.....

Quinbo
07-13-08, 07:00 AM
The advice from other Marines is spot on. You should also study current events. Walk in there with cocky confidence and kick some ass. Do not converse with other Marines awaiting their turn in the barrel.

crate78
07-13-08, 02:00 PM
I assume you're well squared away and knowledgeable in your MOS or you wouldn't be up for Marine of the Quarter in the first place.

As someone else said, don't try to BS your way through anything. If you don't know the answer to a question, admit it and say you know where to find the answer.

Bone up on current events. An officer selection board I once went before must have already been convinced I was qualified from a military standpoint and spent most of the time on current world affairs. (I failed the physical.)

Be yourself up to a point, and expect the unexpected, both on inputs and outcomes.

A Nave Chief I knew went before an officer selection board. One of the board members asked him if he became an officer if he would take his wife to the various social affairs. The Chief said it depended on whether she wanted to go.

The board member asked, "Why, can't you tell your wife what to do?"

The Chief responded, "Well, Sir, I think I can assume I'm in the same boat as the rest of ya'll. I run things around my house; the lawn mower, the vacuum, the clothes washer...........".

They recommended him "With Enthusiasm".

Good luck!!

crate

jp84
07-16-08, 08:48 PM
how do you get picked for Marine of the quarter? I know its not helping you any I am just curious.

I was recommended by an NCO I work with.

Thanks all for your help. Ill let you know how it goes!

Lcpl jP

Pete0331
07-16-08, 08:55 PM
I was recommended by an NCO I work with.

Thanks all for your help. Ill let you know how it goes!

Lcpl jP

Walk into the room with hate, discontent, bearing, and a steely resolve.

Big Jim
07-16-08, 09:39 PM
HUH...WTF?!?! <br />
<br />
NO, JP...JUST BE AS PROFESSIONAL AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY BE AND SHOW THOSE PEOPLE IN THERE WHY YOU ARE THE MOST DESERVING OF THIS AWARD OUT OF EVERYONE THERE!! CONFIDENCE...THAT'S...