PDA

View Full Version : Had a little scare last night...

rkidd4
07-11-08, 01:02 PM
So I was running around our resevoir by my house yesterday and stepped on a large rock and messed up my ankle and foot really bad. I thought it was just a tiny ankle twist so I tried to walk it off but it got worse and worse as the day went on. At about 10pm last night the pain was unbearable so I had my friend take me to the ER to get t looked at. They were all saying it looked like it was broken. This crushed me b/c I knew if it was broken I would be done with the Marines. I spent 4 hrs. there but it ended up just being badly sprained. I got crutches and I have to stay off of it for about a week. I am soooo relieved!

DGardner
07-11-08, 02:25 PM
Watch it closely, even when you think it's all healed up it might not be. go back and make sure it's all good after the week is over. Trust me on this one. :)

Whitey
07-11-08, 02:53 PM
i crushed my foot under a car 2 months before going to boot camp. i shipped out a week later than i was supposed to

rkidd4
07-11-08, 03:18 PM
Yeah I will keep a close eye on it for sure...the doc said it should be good to go within a week or two

Zapablast05
07-11-08, 03:27 PM
Milk should help. Just don't drink too much, this happened to my friend when he was skating. The doc recommended that he should drink a lot of milk for his ankle to regain it's strength. He drank too much and had calcium buildup on his ankle lol.

Good thing you're alright to go to boot camp.

Firefox
07-11-08, 04:06 PM
That would scare me beyond anything. It is good that you are still good to go.

rkidd4
07-11-08, 04:47 PM
Yeah Firefox you have no idea how scared I was last night at the fact my Marine career was over before it even started...Horrible thoughts were going through my mind lol and the funny thing is I hurt it training for Boot Camp

Firefox
07-11-08, 05:17 PM
Yeah at my pool function yesterday my recruiters were saying to the people shipping out this month to push themselves but not to hard lest they injure themselves.

rkidd4
07-11-08, 06:01 PM
Yeah lol Im definitely taking it easier now that I saw what could happen I am not running on dirt trails anymore. I was running in the Rocky Mountains just so I could get ready for the hills...learned my lesson.

Firefox
07-11-08, 06:04 PM
Yeah I'd definetly run up paved hills if at all possible from now on. But I'm lucky I have a hill nearby that is probably as big and as steep as the Reaper so that affords good training.

Big Jim
07-11-08, 07:04 PM
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/8342/sigzr0.png

FIREFOX...IS IT?? YEAH, WELL, I SEEN THAT MOVIE TOO...AND YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE CLINT EASTWOOD....I WOULD THINK AT LEAST HE WOULD RECOGNIZE THE DIFFERENCE OF EARNING THE EAGLE, GLOBE AND ANCHOR AND RATHER THAN JUST BRANDING IT ON HIS SIGNATURE!!! YOU DON'T RATE POOLIE!!! GET THAT WANNA-BE, DREAM HAVING SH!T OFF YOUR SIGNATURE BEFORE YOU'VE EARNED IT!!! DON'T YOU FRIKKIN KNOW BETTER??? EARN IT FIRST AND THEN YOU CAN DISPLAY IT WHERE EVER YOU WANT...UNTIL THEN...YOU DO NOT RATE, BOY!!!!! YOU'RE STILL A CIVILIAN...NOT A MARINE...ONLY MARINES WHERE THE EAGLE, GLOBE & ANCHOR...!!!

Firefox
07-11-08, 11:46 PM
My apologies Sergeant it won't happen again at least until I earn it.

SlingerDun
07-12-08, 12:26 AM
I am not running on dirt trails anymore....Your kiddin right??? Last month cowkicked in the wrist by a jaded mule wearing corked shoes WACK! Pain progressed, swelling, layed awake all night p*ssed off and miserable. Maybe i should have just quit my job to be safe huh? yeah right.
...learned my lessonWhats that? Mountain run humps can kick your ass? or pain from a sprained ankle doesn't justify a trip to ER http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

--->Dave

sparkie
07-12-08, 08:10 AM
My back hurts, I ain't goin to work anymore,,,,,,O Yea, I said that 30 years ago.

Get over it, Son, Don't restrict yourself.

rkidd4
07-12-08, 07:05 PM
I guess I should rephrase that...Im not running on dirt trails until Boot Camp. Sorry if I sound like a p*ssy but I came very close to ending my Marine career that hasnt even started yet and it is somehting that was physically and mentally hard for me to deal with...why risk it when I can get the same workout on pavement? And Im sorry if its bad to go to the ER for a sprained ankle Ive never had a broken bone and wanted to be safe than sorry

SlingerDun
07-12-08, 08:06 PM
Running on groomed pavement is same same treadmill. Running or hiking on uneven or shifting__2 steps forward 1 step back__terrain, is dynamic conditioning which strengthens tendons and ligaments due to a wider range of motion especially in the lateral aspect. Humans and horses have in their limbs, ready for this...

Proprioceptors. Meaning "sense of self" in the limbs, the proprioceptors are sensors that provide information about joint angle, muscle length, and tension, which is integrated to give information about the position of the limb in space.

PT on dynamic rough terrain not only strengthens our joint/suspensory apparatus but fine tunes these sensors.

Proprioceptors are life savers! We can't remain sound without them. Evident when avoiding mis-steps before one bears full weight on a limb. it's often called a reflex reaction but these are proprioceptors at work saving your ass and avoiding injury of joints and ligaments that may or may not be not conditioned for a full range of motion. They work best and improve when field tested...

Check out an Ax-Men video rigging and choking timber in steep breshy country, those guys get a much more dynamic ankle and knee workout than the LA fitness crew but eventually break down because its a career.

Oh,,, ankle support! No matter how tough your limbs are the mountains will still kick ass.

Good Luck and don't quit the hills

--->Dave

DGardner
07-12-08, 08:07 PM
Deleted my post... not worth the hassle.