PDA

View Full Version : Worthy of their sacrifice?

thedrifter
07-10-08, 07:32 AM
Worthy of their sacrifice?

Having spent 28 months in Iraq as a contractor supporting our military, I wonder whether we are worthy of the sacrifice of our brave soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines.

When I compare a Marine bowing his head in prayer before a meal with the yelling and cussing that goes on if someone cuts in front of us on the way to work, I wonder.

When I compare the smiling face and respectful demeanor of a soldier, despite the heavy armor and 120-degree temperatures, with the trashiness of our talk and the disrespect we show our parents, teachers, police and often each other, I wonder.

When I compare the determination of those in uniform to carry themselves with honor, dignity and courage in a time of war with the selfishness and lack of gratitude in a nation of resplendent abundance, I wonder.

When I compare our courageous military writing the history of our nation with their blood to those trying to rewrite our nation’s past and remove every vestige of God from our history, our schools and our public square, I wonder.

When I look into the eyes of our military and see a love for our country and the freedom we enjoy and compare it to those who call our president a liar for making a decision on the best information we had and call into question the nobility of the military’s purpose, I wonder.

Many times we are not, but I am so thankful that they are willing to lay down their lives for our freedom even though we are so often unworthy.

Perhaps next time we are apt to complain, we should think of their sacrifice and start to act a little more worthy.

— Tom Welch, Arlington

Ellie