PDA

View Full Version : why we are?

the rabbit
07-09-08, 11:10 PM
when i went thru boot we were tuff but nowadays seem slacking.
not saying motovation should reach 40's 50's style but d.i. proto should get marine ready or else i will b3 forced to come in!!

Pete0331
07-09-08, 11:42 PM
not saying motovation should reach 40's 50's style but d.i. proto should get marine ready or else i will b3 forced to come in!!

You entered the USMC in 2000 and left in 1902?

I don't understand your post.

Marine84
07-10-08, 05:34 PM
:confused: hmmmmmmmmmm

Big Jim
07-10-08, 05:48 PM

YOU NEED TO SQUARE YOUR PROFILE AWAY NOT ONLY BECAUSE YOUR ENTIRE PROFILE IS BASS-ACKWARDS...YOU CLAIM TO BE A NATIVE AMERICAN...I ALSO WENT TO SCHOOL IN RAPID CITY, SOUTH DAKOTA...AND I AM A RECOGNIZED NATIVE AMERICAN FROM THE STANDING ROCK SIOUX INDIAN TRIBE IN FORT YATES, NORTH DAKOTA...AND I EXPECT MORE FROM YOU...!!!

SlingerDun
07-10-08, 05:57 PM
when i went thru boot we were tuff Pops and the cronies thought i was a dink. And still a punk until about 35:beer:

CH53MetalMan
07-11-08, 04:06 PM
Long before any of us were born, older Marines were casting about the them 'old Corps' in an attempt to say that things were much tougher in 'their' day. I never bought into this. Things change and everything is relative, but Marine Corps Boot Camp was never easy and will never be easy or soft. This is a topic about distorted perception.

Unfortunately, for all of us, at some point, 'perception' becomes 'our' reality.

Buckeye
07-11-08, 04:26 PM
"SHHHHH....BE VERY,VERY QUIET.......IT'S RABBIT SEASON!!!"(ELMER FUDD)
HE OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T DO HIS MCI's...

SgtThrasher
07-11-08, 04:49 PM
:evilgrin: Strange post! I agree with 84. :evilgrin:

jarheadlady
07-11-08, 05:02 PM
When I graduated from boot camp, my dad (SgtMaj) came to PI for the graduation. He asked my SDI, "Why is there no hitting now? When I was a DI we screamed and beat the s**t out of them if they needed it." My SDI smiled at my dad and said "With all due respect SgtMaj, the recruits we get on the island are a little different than they were in your day. 98% of them are high school graduates. 25% of those have at least 10 college credit hours and none of them are drafted. They volunteered to be here. We still ride them like yard dogs, the training hasn't changed but we do not need to hit them to bring home a point."

My dad walked away and smiled at me and said "Yea, you're a Marine. You're just smarter than I was." I have NO idea what he meant by that, but it worked for me! When I went to my sons graduation, I caught the same feeling. The kids were smarter than I was when I went to boot, no need to hit them. But they were still hard charging, squared away, lean and green fighting Machines. They are Marines.

Just my humble opinion!

Big Jim
07-11-08, 07:21 PM
When I graduated from boot camp, my dad (SgtMaj) came to PI for the graduation. He asked my SDI, "Why is there no hitting now? When I was a DI we screamed and beat the s**t out of them if they needed it." My SDI smiled at my dad and said "With all due respect SgtMaj, the recruits we get on the island are a little different than they were in your day. 98% of them are high school graduates. 25% of those have at least 10 college credit hours and none of them are drafted. They volunteered to be here. We still ride them like yard dogs, the training hasn't changed but we do not need to hit them to bring home a point."

My dad walked away and smiled at me and said "Yea, you're a Marine. You're just smarter than I was." I have NO idea what he meant by that, but it worked for me! When I went to my sons graduation, I caught the same feeling. The kids were smarter than I was when I went to boot, no need to hit them. But they were still hard charging, squared away, lean and green fighting Machines. They are Marines.

Just my humble opinion!

I AGREE WITH YOU TERESA...THE OLDER GENERATION ALWAYS SEES THE CHANGES IN THE NEWER ONE...I SEE YOUNGER AND SMARTER WAYS TO FIGHT A WAR THAT WE WERE USING OLD FASHIONED ELBOW GREASE!! TECHNOLOGY IS A WONDERFUL THING BUT I, TOO, WONDER IF IT HAS TAKEN AWAY FROM SOME OF OUR DEEPEST TRADITIONS.

FOR INSTANCE THE GOOD THURSDAY NIGHT FIELD DAY FOR A FRIDAY MORNING INSPECTION!! THE PUSHING AND INSTILLMENT OF PURPOSE WHEN INSTILLING LEADERSHIP QUALITIES...SUCH AS GIVING POWER BACK TO ITS DESERVING NCO'S AND MAKING THE NCO RANK WORTH ITS WEIGHT AGAIN...THOSE DAYS NEED TO BE HERE AGAIN...BACK WHEN A CORPORAL WAS "GOD."

Marine84
07-11-08, 08:54 PM
I hated when field day fell on a payday. You been eating at the chowhall for about a week and hanging out on base and all you want to do is hit the front gate and hit a club out in town so you can act a fool and find something other to eat.

jarheadlady
07-11-08, 09:59 PM
Jim, I'm with you on that one! My son is a Cpl. He gets treated just like any other friggin PFC on base by his SNCOIC. Makes me sick. All the NCOs are treated like that. The Cpls Course now is a joke compared to what it used to be!

tripledog
07-13-08, 12:55 PM
To many I am the old corps, to some I am the new corps.

Yea, boot was tough then, and I went to diego two years ago, spent 2 weeks just watching todays men and women.

They are 100 or more times smarter, stronger, tougher, marines etc than our days.

However, I do see a difference, in our day , we were taught to be ourselves and depend on our buddies to some extent. What I took away from Diego while watching, was they may, I said may, (I sure as hell aint no expert at it) depend on their buddies just a little too much.

It makes me wonder if the individual traits are lowered on some , yet raised on others , to hit the middle ground.

Is that good or bad? I suppose time will tell. Oh, in my days, there was no draft, you had to be an idiot, superman or criminal to join. Or so it seemed.

sparkie
07-13-08, 01:34 PM
"They are 100 or more times smarter, stronger, tougher, marines etc than our days."

I sure as he11 am not buying that one. Try another one, Marine.

tripledog
07-13-08, 02:04 PM
Sparkie, you have a lot to learn. I do not remember saying they were smarter, stronger and smarter than YOU.
If I had said YOU, I would have added a zero.

CH53MetalMan
07-13-08, 02:37 PM
When I served, intelligence ( as a whole ) was never an issue. It seemed to me that no one could be either too smart or too dumb to serve in The Corps. Actually, intelligence could be a bit of a drawback as the main characteristic of a good Marine is to follow orders without question.

JRHD72
07-13-08, 02:38 PM
I got more time on the crapper than you have in the Corps n your talkin like you won every GD war we fought. Better chit can the John Wayne attitude and come back to earth brother!