PDA

View Full Version : Question about MOS Selection

NRodrigues
07-09-08, 12:57 PM
When I was sent to MEPs, it seems they have all Marines sign open contracts and later we select MOS with recruiters.

My recruiter is now telling me, I cannot pick a specific MOS, but a category. (such as AE, etc. etc.)

Does anyone have any incidents where they were actually able to pick a specific MOS?

Big Jim
07-09-08, 01:00 PM
When I was sent to MEPs, it seems they have all Marines sign open contracts and later we select MOS with recruiters.

My recruiter is now telling me, I cannot pick a specific MOS, but a category. (such as AE, etc. etc.)

Does anyone have any incidents where they were actually able to pick a specific MOS?

NOPE...THIS IS THE PROCESS...YOU CHOOSE THE JOB CATEGORY AND WAIT FOR PARTICULAR OPEN JOB SLOTS IN THAT CATEGORY TO BE OPEN...NOBODY GETS A GUARANTEED JOB IN THE MARINE CORPS...YOU MAY GET WHAT YOU WANT BUT IT WAS NEVER GUARANTEED...WE TRY TO ACCOMODATE BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT...A MARINE IS A MARINE...NO MATTER WHAT...YOU TAKE WHAT YOU'RE GIVEN...

NRodrigues
07-09-08, 01:33 PM
NOPE...THIS IS THE PROCESS...YOU CHOOSE THE JOB CATEGORY AND WAIT FOR PARTICULAR OPEN JOB SLOTS IN THAT CATEGORY TO BE OPEN...NOBODY GETS A GUARANTEED JOB IN THE MARINE CORPS...YOU MAY GET WHAT YOU WANT BUT IT WAS NEVER GUARANTEED...WE TRY TO ACCOMODATE BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT...A MARINE IS A MARINE...NO MATTER WHAT...YOU TAKE WHAT YOU'RE GIVEN...

Thank you for the quick reply sir.

RockSteady85
07-09-08, 01:36 PM
You can only get a specific MOS when you join the Marine Corps Reserve, from what I recall. If you are going active, then you can only choose a general field.

Nate catlett
07-09-08, 01:53 PM
I had the same question I was contracted Motor-T and thats it. I hope I get what I planned on.

slimmy07
07-11-08, 06:54 PM

Im a former recruiter usmc (2004-2007) and its people like you that make/made our job tough. Things have changed since you have been in, if you really want to help us out then talk about your experiences, not FALSE info. Your info is false now, back in the 60's -70's and maybe 80's yes...but now its false.

Kid-
the reason you go to meps on an open contract is this..
in order for you to join the corps you have to be qualified medically, morale, and physicaly. The recruiter can not have you sign an SOU(statement of undersatnding) for AE without you being medically qualified. What if your partialy color blind and you dont know it? You get a GUARNTEED field in the corps. One of the beautiful things about the corps is that its so small that you are able to do cross train. I was an 0311 and I volunteered to cross train as an 0331. We are a corps, meaning a small branch. If we were any bigger we would be an army. Thats good because since we are small you will get to experience different jobs in your fiield. Also, you DONT take what you get because you are GUARNTEED a job field. Meaning if you want to be an infantryman, you WILL. You might be a machine gunner or a rifleman, etc. etc. but you will be in the infantry. Its like playing on a baseball team, you might be the catcher..but your playing baseball.