PDA

View Full Version : Lone Soldier: One Winchester graduate prepares for military life

thedrifter
07-09-08, 07:28 AM
Lone Soldier: One Winchester graduate prepares for military life
By Eric Tsetsi/Staff Writer
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 07:32 PM EDT

Winchester, MA -

Only one Winchester High School graduate from the class of 2008 is entering the military this year. But that distinction doesn’t surprise 18-year-old Zach Gramlich, who enlisted in the Marines about two months ago.
The confident and short-spoken Gramlich shrugged it off with a slight laugh. When asked how friends reacted to his decision, however, he betrayed a sense of pride with his chosen path.
“They thought it was awesome, I guess, that I was doing something different than everyone else,” he said.
His status as the one student entering the military isn’t the only fact that sets him apart from his peers.
Throughout his high school career he excelled in athletics, eventually becoming co-captain of both the Sachems football team and the championship wrestling team.
About 280 students graduated in the class of 2008 along with Gramlich who moved to Winchester as a ninth grader. Most are attending college and others are taking a post-grad year to continue playing sports.

“I didn’t really want to go to school, and I don’t know if I’m ready for a job,” said Gramlich, who has always preferred physical activity to academics.
He first started contemplating joining the military more than a year ago, and eventually decided on the Marine corp.
“I thought they were the best, and if I was going to do it, I might as well be the best,” he said.
On July 6, Gramlich heads to Parris Island, South Carolina for the start of the Marine’s 12-week basic training. After completing the grueling 3-month initiation, he hopes to enter an exclusive 6-month program called Force Reconnaissance.
“What he’s doing is like the Special Forces of the Special Forces,” said Chris Gramlich, Zach’s father.
Gramlich is the first member of his immediate family to join the military, although he has several relatives who served in the Navy, according to his father.
His decision to enlist wasn’t influenced by the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, said Gramlich, and he didn’t express an opinion about the politics behind the wars.
Whether or not he deploys overseas doesn’t really worry him.
“I’d be happy to go over there,” he said, without hesitation.
His parents, however, were somewhat more concerned.
“We’d prefer that he didn’t have to go into a combat zone,” said Chris Gramlich. “But we have a strong belief that he will be protected.”
His parent’s faith helps to ease their minds, he added.
“I believe that god will protect him,” said Zach’s mother Angie, when asked how she feels about Zach joining the military.
“I’m so proud of him,” she said. “He will excel in the Marines.”
For the past several weeks, Gramlich has been preparing for basic training. He runs three miles every day, lifts weights and swims regularly.
About 400 fellow recruits will begin basic training with Gramlich, and about 90 percent will complete the program.
Gramlich said he is likely to make a career out of the military, but wants to see how the first 4 years go.
On June 18, members from the community hosted a going away party for Gramlich, who has spent the past week in Savannah, Georgia on a family vacation.
“We’ve gotten a lot of support in the community,” said Chris Gramlich.

Eric Tsetsi can be reached at 781-674-7731 or etsetsi@cnc.com.

Ellie