PDA

View Full Version : I need help...

rkidd4
07-08-08, 09:15 PM
So my recruiter called me today and said that their are no infantryspots open anymore even though he said he would put me in for infantry when I first signed up (like five months ago). We went through the available MOSs and after about 20 minutes of discussing other ones, he mentioned aircrew...My question is what is the MOS # and with this MOS, do I get to be on the aircraft all the time?

I'm just frustrated b/c Ive had my heart on 03XX and now Im forced to choose something else.

waitingtobe
07-08-08, 09:20 PM
Man its just me but Aircrew is a Kick ace mos. Unless your afraid of flying. I hear wingers get treated the best as well.

rkidd4
07-08-08, 09:23 PM
Yeah is it the 73XX MOS? If so that sounds pretty tight.

jetdoc
07-09-08, 12:00 AM
The Marines have gone a 180 from when I was in....no spots in the Grunts but you can get into Aviation? Wow, too funny.

Hologram
07-09-08, 12:02 AM
I would tell you to tell your recruiter that you're not shipping until you have an infantry contract.

Jyates383
07-09-08, 02:12 AM
Correct me if Im wrong but the new fiscal year starts Oct. 1st. If you have your heart set on infantry just wait.

USMC3381
07-09-08, 04:08 AM
Yeah thats sounds a little funny to me that all the 03 fields are closed I have never heard of that happening you might want to check with another recruiter in the office like a higher up, or just tell him you are going infintry it should be open by the time you get through bootcamp and infrintry school. But man if you pick airwing thats cool too I had a couple of buddies in the airwing and they loved it best of luck in what u do.

bgsuwoody
07-09-08, 04:33 AM
Can Anyone Say...wait Until October...new Fiscal Year Starts And All The New Jobs Open Up. Yup I Have To Say It Again!!!!

Oh I see how it is computer...no all caps...you really got me good...

rkidd4
07-09-08, 01:04 PM
The only problem is I really cant wait until October...for a few various reasons. I am just upset that my recruiter kind of lied to me about this. I have looked up what aircrew is and cannot find a definite answer. I was talking to SgtHMH last night and what he thought aircrew was sounded pretty cool. DOes anyone know the specific MOS # for it...It sounds like it might be 8972 or 9972 (MOS is same but they changed #s I think). If so I wouldnt mind that, but there are other things that aircrew falls under that I really dont wanna do. Thanks for any help and for the previous help...

rkidd4
07-09-08, 02:15 PM
Alright...well just got off the phone with my recruiter and Im excited for this MOS it is the aircrew trainee MOS (9972 or 9973). Although infantry would have been really cool...This sounds awesome too. Does anyone know the base where this MOS would be stationed? I would think Pensecola right?

gobuffs10
07-10-08, 03:36 AM
The only problem is I really cant wait until October...for a few various reasons. I am just upset that my recruiter kind of lied to me about this. I have looked up what aircrew is and cannot find a definite answer. I was talking to SgtHMH last night and what he thought aircrew was sounded pretty cool. DOes anyone know the specific MOS # for it...It sounds like it might be 8972 or 9972 (MOS is same but they changed #s I think). If so I wouldnt mind that, but there are other things that aircrew falls under that I really dont wanna do. Thanks for any help and for the previous help...

You should wait til November, us Colorado kids can go to San Diego together.

CplKJSpevak
07-10-08, 04:46 AM
So your gonna swing with the wing huh? Cool! Do they still call it the "Hair Wing" because it's so laid back, and everyone has long hair??LOL...LOL...LOL........just kiddin Ron!........good luck young man.

jetdoc
07-10-08, 07:42 AM
So your gonna swing with the wing huh? Cool! Do they still call it the "Hair Wing" because it's so laid back, and everyone has long hair??LOL...LOL...LOL........just kiddin Ron!........good luck young man.

Kev, no man you're right on, or at least thats how it was back during my time in. Thats what made it the Wing, laid back, longer hair, all the chicks...lol.

No kidding, I'd go to the barber shop and my hair would be down over my eyes, lol.

sparkie
07-10-08, 08:02 AM
Again? Another perfectly good recruit lost to the Wing. Sad.

Quinbo
07-10-08, 08:16 AM
Momma Momma can't you see
What the Marine Corps has done to me
Whoa ohh wahh ohh
wahh oohh ohh oh a ohh

My recruiter lied to me
Told me what I wanted to be
Whoa ohh wahh ohh
wahh oohh ohh oh a ohh

Mamma mamma look at me
Look at what they've done to me
Put me in a barbers chair
Turned around I had no hair
Whoa ohh wahh ohh
wahh oohh ohh oh a ohh

I used to drive a caddillac
Now I'm marching with a pack

I used to drive a chevrolet
Now I'm humping every day
Whoa ohh wahh ohh
wahh oohh ohh oh a ohh

Lets YouTube it

Drewster
07-10-08, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure if its too late but I suggest getting in Security forces. My recruiter told me that after your 2 years in Security Forces you go to infantry. I'm pretty sure though that if infantry is full, Security Forces is. Last time we had a Poolee Scrub they talked to me like I was looking to get SF because there weren't many slots left. But hey, aircrew would be cool, and atleast you are going to earn the title Marine right?

Nate catlett
07-10-08, 01:36 PM
nide cadence bulkyker

Drewster
07-10-08, 01:39 PM
Oh, and you can change to infantry in a few years too. My friend is doing that. He is currently an armorer...can't remeber the MOS number.

JoeSzynal
07-10-08, 04:15 PM

Ok so you have Marines here telling you to wait and you have dismissed the advice. I guarantee if you told me your reasons right now I could help you make sense out of them. I know at your age everything seems very overwhelming and I understand that. However what you are doing right now is settling and that's not a great way to possibly start your Marine Corps enlistment/career.

It's time to do the adult thing here and exercise a bit of patience and maturity. You titled the thread "I need help.." Take the advice given here. If it's a girl that just has to marry you now, or a couple months you may have to work a part time job.. trust me those are tiny problems compared to four years of regret if it turns out you do not like the MOS you are settling for. If you recently had a child and you need a paycheck/health insurance right now, that's never a good reason to join the Corps.

Me personally, I would never let a recruiter steamroll me into a job I did not intend on. Up until you sign something, you are in the driver's seat. Remember that. Back in '04 I wanted infantry and I only wanted to serve one enlistment. At the age of 28, I got just that because I waited. Went to Iraq twice and got everything out of the Corps I ever wanted as soon as I touched down on Iraqi soil the first time. Now i'm gearing up to become a civilian again and I'm looking back at nothing but good times. I have no regrets and I loved my time. I wish all Marines had that experience, however many do not set themselves up for that.

Semper Fi.

Phantom Blooper
07-10-08, 05:20 PM
I need help...

Don't we ALL!:evilgrin:

Quinbo
07-10-08, 08:13 PM
nide cadence bulkyker

Never know it might turn out to be a hit. Course I heard it on every hump but cant sing worth a dang.

Chesty Pullar was a good Marine and a good Marine was he
He called for his pipe and he called for his bowl and he called for his pvts 3
Beer Beer Beer said the privates
Merry ole men are we
The Army's fair but it can't compare to the Marine Corps infantry

Chesty Pullar was a good Marine and a good Marine was he
He called for his pipe and he called for his bowl and he called for his Corporals 3
Left right left said the corporals ... beer beer beer said the privates.
Merry old men are we ... the army is fair but it can't compare to Marine Corps infantry

Lets youtube it

bgsuwoody
07-11-08, 07:49 AM

Someone is going to be in a **** load of trouble when they hit the Marine Corps if they can't "wait" You are only waiting another month since you are leaving at the end of August anyways. What the hell can't you wait 30 days for.

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
07-11-08, 09:06 AM
If U Want Grunt........go Combat Engineer........we Do Our Jobs Plus There Jobs.....they Can't Do There Jobs With Out Us......

Some Calls Us ( Combat Engineers ) The Smart Grunts......lmao.....

rkidd4
07-11-08, 12:50 PM
I understand if it sounds like Im not taking the advice to heart but I definitely am...I cant wait another month b/c of variou reasons as I said earlier. I wanted help for what I should do...I figured out my new MOS is pretty hard to get and from what Ive heard its a great MOS. Sorry if I sounded like I didnt want your guy's help or advice (I always appreciate you guys).

slimmy07
07-11-08, 05:08 PM
Hey kid,
I was a Marine Recruiter for 3 years (2004-2007) and 0300 field or UH as it is refered to in the contract is ALWAYS the first MOS to close out,regardless of what the media or people say. The Marine corps only has a certain amount of slots available every year for that field and its on a first come first serve basis. Its funny how people/marines in here always say to strong arm the recruiter and make them get it for you. WE WOULD IF WE COULD! The recruiters dont set the jobs,HQ marine corps does. They tell us how many slots are avialable and we fill them. I suggest that if you have a date, then stick with the date to ship. There are a TON of MOSs still available, you may not like some and others you might. I will tell you one thing kid, EVERY marine goes through the SAME boot camp and then they EITHER go to SOI(school of infantry) or MCT(marine combat training). Your going to get grunt like training no matter what. You might not be an 0300, but you can ALWAYS try out for recon no matter the MOS. I suggest that you sit down again with your recruiter and READ the mos manual on every job thats available and go from there. Another thing that you can do is speak with the NCOIC and let him know how you feel and sometimes there might be another poolee who might have second thoughts about going UH (0300) and you might be able to get his slot if he decides to change his mos. Also, poolees sometimes dont ship on time for various reason(dont graduate, traffic tickets not paid, etc.) and you might be able to get one of their slots if the poolee was going 0300. This was a ton of info, I hope you understand it. Any questions just ask kid.