PDA

View Full Version : 1st Deployment

Artemis
07-07-08, 12:21 PM
Well here it is my husband just found out last week that he will be deploying to Afganistan for 12 months ( with the National Guard) and I am scared ****less. He was a Marine for 5 years and never deployed while he was in but is now getting ready to do his first deployment. It will not be our first seperation due to deployment since I spent 15 months on Okinawa but it seems different this time. Getting to the point does any one have ideas on how to help my children (4 and 2) deal with this upcoming seperation? Thank you in advance and please keep it real with your replies.

Big Jim
07-07-08, 02:03 PM
Well here it is my husband just found out last week that he will be deploying to Afganistan for 12 months ( with the National Guard) and I am scared ****less. He was a Marine for 5 years and never deployed while he was in but is now getting ready to do his first deployment. It will not be our first seperation due to deployment since I spent 15 months on Okinawa but it seems different this time. Getting to the point does any one have ideas on how to help my children (4 and 2) deal with this upcoming seperation? Thank you in advance and please keep it real with your replies.

Just have the boys spend as much time with their Dad before he leaves...if you keep him in your heart and the boys will keep him in their hearts as well. Its important for them to talk to him and write often as you can afford to...have the boys draw pictures for him and all that good stuff. I remember when I was active duty and my wife would have my daughter do all that stuff and even make tape recordings of their voices telling me they love and miss me. That made me feel so good and made me strong again.

Just keep it real with your boys and explain why their Daddy has to leave and when he'll be back...its ok for them to miss him but its also important they know why as to understand, you know? Kids are smarter than we give them credit for...

AL49BGN
07-07-08, 04:33 PM
Thank him for us and let him know our prayers will be with him