PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Marines/Poolees/Wannabees

davblay
07-05-08, 10:27 AM
I have been around this site for a while now, since Feb 22, 2007, and I have made some very interesting friends (241 of them so far). My profie has been viewed by at least 925 people, and that humbles me!

In February last year, when I joined this site, I had been looking for a place to hang my cover and call it home. My very first day browsing around this site, I met a Rebel Rouser that went by FISTFU68, now I though he was a colorful Fellow. Then I met this dirty old amn Called Bigalholmes.....what can I say? Then there was this felow named Jinelson that welcomed me to this site, he had just been promoted to PLATOON LEADER, (whatever that was) and I congratulated him. I found people like Marine84, Big Jim, E4B, Sgt HMH, hrscowboys (my dear friend) as well as Chopper (another dear friend now). Then I found Yellowwing that was from 25 miles from my hometown, even thought he lives in Canada, I feel close to him. I met a fellow called Bulkyker in the chat room, (now that man's picture gave me flashbacks) that is a real nice guy and Marine. I am sure I am forgetting alot of Marines that need mentioning, I just can't recall them all right now.

I also meet a bunch of Poolees.........now they caught my attention. I have alays wanted to be able to help Poolees get a good start in our Beloved Corps, and here was a never ending supply of them for me to interact with, and get to know. I started writing them while they were in boot camp. To My surprie the word got around pretty quick that I was doing this and I got more and more addresses.i startd a Data Base and it stays busy all the time. Last night I counted the number of letters I have writen to recruits I don't even know, Have never met, and that figure was stagering (720)! Yes I have found a home to do what I want to do after all. I don't pick and choose the recruits, I just write everyone that ask me to, every week until they graduate.

As a Cancer Paient (Colon, Rectum, both lungs, COPD, Emphizima, and a few other things I can't spell) I appreciate the opportunity to help these fine young Marine Wannabees. They are your future after all! Without them I see no future of our Corps!

So to the Poolees of this site, I thank you for the opportunity to write you while you are in boot camp. If one of my letters makes you smile for one minute of one day of one week during training then its all worth it to me!

To the Marines, my brothers and sister, thanks for allowing me to be apart of thi wonderful site, and enjoying your fellowship. After all Us old Salts have to have somewhere to go to vent, now don't we? LOL.

Thanks you again, and Semper Fi All,

Dave

FistFu68
07-05-08, 11:18 AM
:evilgrin: 'YO MARINE YOU HAVE AFFECTED MANY A MARINE,@ DEVIL PUP'S WITH YOU'R INTEGRITY @ INTELLIGENCE;YOU'R A STRAIGHT SHOOTER.FOR A MAN SUCH AS YOURSELF TOO THINK OF OTHERS BEFORE YOURSELF,IS A RARE BIRD MARINE!!!YOU ARE A VERY HONORABLE MAN,CPL.OF UNITED STATES MARINES.I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY1 SAY'S YOU'R A GOOD CHIT DAVE."SAEPIUS EXERTUS~SEMPER FIDELIS~FRATER INFINITAS" :usmc: :iwo:

sparkie
07-05-08, 11:21 AM
I've always considered you to be the only sane one here.
Thank you for your friendship, and your concern.

This boat needs a good rudder like you.:cool:

ecfree
07-05-08, 11:35 AM
Tanks Dave,get er done,Brother......:beer:

Big Jim
07-05-08, 12:32 PM
Dave...what Can I Say About You That I Haven't Already Said...? Your Honor And Integrity Have Reached Many Many People Here Brother...we Have Seen It, Experienced It And Love You For It, Brother.

I Have The Priveledge And Honor To Call You My Friend...and To These Poolies Who Are The Real Lucky Ones Here, Whether They Realize It Or Not, Should Feel The Same Way As You Thought It Worth Your While To Know And Guide These Young People Who Have That Spark And Are Our Future Marine Corps. We All Have The Honor Of Knowing A Person As You With Such A Strong Fortitude Of Character And The Highest Of Marine Corps Honor. You Are Definitely In Keeping With The Highest Of Marine Corps Values And Traditions...Semper Fidelis, My Brother....

davblay
07-05-08, 01:55 PM
Thak you for all your kind words my fellow Marines. It's just that I am going thru what the doc calls "reflecting time".......time that I think of all the things I have done (good and bad) and wonder about my effectiveness! I wonder if I really make a difference in anyones life or if I am just spinning my tires, either way I am just not sure if this is the best course for me to take to reach the majority of our young people that need help with the acclimating into the Corps, or if that is even possible, as it's different for everyone, you Marines know what I mean!

Another thing is that my health is getting worst, I never knew that until this past week when I made a short trip to Gatlinburg, Tenn, and spent the trip in my room where I could breath! Then the trip home made me so sick I have only been out of the house once since I got home Tuesday evening!

I guess the biggest worry I have is "IF" something should happen to me.......what would happen to my poolees and of course you, my "Marine Friends"? It is common knowledge how I feel about my pups, but you Marines hold a special place in my heart that I can't explain, we have all been there and done that, and we share that bond that no one can break. The bond is not seperated by color, age, sex or nationality.....we are MARINES, period! The only COLOR WE SEE IS GREEN in each other!

You Marines that posted, so far, I expected no less and I thank you from the bottom of my heart! If I should die tonight, I would know that you truly Cared about my endeavers to help the Pups! Also rest assured that Chesty has assigned me the post next to him, to welcome you Marines to that final PCS! We won't get to go inside, because Marines never leave a Marine behind, but we can eyeball all the pretty females that pass by, huh Fistfu? Wookie and Bigal will be happy just to see all the bare feet that pass while they enter the gates, but they know they will have to wait until the last Marine reports before we can March in as only the Corps can do, as a complete Corps!

I have two questions my friends, should something happen to me:

1) Who will continue my work with the poolees?

2) Who will take care of you foolish Old Marines? (plus some new ones)

Forgive me for ranting, but I have a reason for asking these questions and I feel a need to know that what I have started will continue after I am gone. The Poolees deserve no less! God Bless you all, and God Bless the Poolees, without whom there would be no future of our Corps!

Semper Fi My brothers and sisters, and you to my Pups,

Dave

Osotogary
07-05-08, 02:17 PM
Dave,
You can't get more profound. I can only hope that you are able to see my sincerest thank you for all of the wonderful work you have done since I have been a member of this website. I can't recall ever saying thank you to you but I want you to know that I am aware of all of your efforts. May God bless you always.
1) Who will continue my work with the poolees?
2) Who will take care of you foolish Old Marines? (plus some new ones)
Dave, I will do what I can in my capacity but frankly, Fistful may be too much for me to handle.
How's that from a nasty civilian? LOL
Take care, Dave.
Gary (osotogary)

OLE SARG I
07-05-08, 02:20 PM
Dave, you are a Marine's Marine. Semper Fi Brother and God Bless!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Big Jim
07-05-08, 03:35 PM
Dave My Brother...i Completely Understand The Reasons For You Asking These Questions And I Feel Sincere And Great Regret For Not Driving Down To Gatlinburg And Meeting You...

But As Far As Your Questions...nobody Can Replace You Brother...you Are Irreplaceable...but I, Along A With Few Others, Would Be Happy And Proud To Try And Continue Your Work Here As A Poolie Mentor And A Good Friend To All Marines And Civilians Interested In Our Beloved Corps. I Already Have Some Poolies I Am Mentoring But Due To My Work Schedule, I Choose To Keep The Number To 5 Or Under. Your Work And Legacy Will Live On Long After We All Probably Will, My Brother... Cause What You Have Started Here Is Nothing Short Of Awesome As To What You You're Instilling In This Fine Younger Generation Of Future Marines...

I Will Honor And Keep Your Efforts And Remember What You Started And Carry The Flag On Into The Future My Friend And Brother...and I Promise...one Day We Will Meet...

Marine84
07-05-08, 06:25 PM
Dave, again, thanks for paving the way. I'll do what I can to follow in your footsteps. Semper Fi!

SGT7477
07-05-08, 08:01 PM
Dave this Marine will be praying for you, Semper FI Brother.

Wyoming
07-06-08, 02:09 AM
Aww sheeit Dave, I ain't no dirty ole man, just a Marine enjoying life.

We are all Brothers, and Sisters, who came together on this site.

We pizz, we moan, we biatch, but at the end of the day, we are Marines, and a family.

We biatch about the text message style that these 'pups' use these days. It does suck, and in my opinion, shows immaturity, but it will be here in full bloom before we know it.

We find the same redundant questions to be trivial, but to the poster, it is important. Methinks they are all a bit apprehensive on joining our Brotherhood.

We find the days growing shorter, wishing that we could be these 'pups' or young Marines. I daresay we all, at least once a day, think about the Marine Corps. I bet each and every one of us would, if possible, go back in time and re-up. I know I would. None of that would be to take away from the family I have and had.

What can be said? You are going through a very troubling and pain-filled time of your life. It is the will of The Almighty that this happens. It has made you to, and allowed you to, become the person, the man, the Marine you are today. The Mentor of our future Corps. Without you, and what you do, many 'pups' in bootcamp would be lost and frightened.

Today, is not like it was 43 years ago. Then, we signed up, eventually went for a physical, and shipped out. None of this Q&A session we, (they), have today. I never had a chance to worry about any of this sheeit. It just happened, when that screaming sumbish ordered us off the bus and onto the Yellow Footprints of MCRDSD. Jeez, I'd be scared to death if I knew then, what I know now.

Enough of that, and back to you. No one is immortal, not you, not me, not anyone. The work you do today, whether it continues in the same vein as it is, it will continue. Volunteering for the job you do now, is too morbid. You are going nowhere. You have work to do, unfinished work, and you will get it done.

Having said all this, I will finish by saying, you are My Brother, a Friend, and a True Marine. Semper Fidelis, Dave, Semper Fidelis.

mike christy
07-06-08, 07:33 AM
Dave, as a unit we will attempt to guide the young ones, no one person can fill your boots Marine. Your selfless dedication has touched many a life, the wisdom and kindness you have shown will continue forever like ripples in a pond.

My prayers are with you Brother.

Semper Fidelis,

Mike

Robert Browell
07-06-08, 07:34 AM
What can I say,that hasn't already been said? All I can say is "Thank you for befriending this gnarly old jarhead,"! I hope to be your friend for many more years,so let's not talk about replacements yet! Bessides where we gonna find another hillbilly to fill your shoes! Impossible! Semper Fi Brother,and thank you for bein YOU!:flag:

rb1651
07-06-08, 09:38 AM
Dave, what you have done on this site cannot be replicated by me. Your strength, wisdom, and most importantly patience with our poolies, and yes, us stubborn fixed in our ways bullheaded gyrenes, is truly your legacy. I thank you for all you have done, and what you will continue to do as long as you are able. Please know that you are in my thoughts and though we may never meet in this life time, I will be looking forward to meeting you when our time has come to guard the streets of Heaven. Semper Fi, my friend.

jrhd97
07-06-08, 10:12 AM
Dave, You are a Marines Marine, a gentleman among men. I will continue to pray for you and your family. There are many folks here who will help the Poolee's, but as to who will fill your shoes, you never know. People have a way of suprising there selfs and others when they step and fill a gap. Let your heart rest easy Dave. Although there is only one Dave, there are others who will step up to the plate.
Thing here have been shakin up pretty good and I have been off and on. When it settles down and we get a routine here, I'll be looking in on the Poolees.
Take Care, God bless and Semper Fi!

bgsuwoody
07-06-08, 01:18 PM
Dave,

As one of my greatest friends and mentors who has served in this beloved Corps I cannot do anything but thank you for everything you have done for me. Your interest in my succes, you no fail attitude, and your ability to help me when I am unmotivated or having trouble has been a great help to me. Without your guidance and your acceptance of me, I doubt that I would be in such a great position that I am now in this Marine Corps.

Its been an honor to know you. I have made this place my home and my oasis for over a year now. Its a place that I have tried to make a realistic, motivational, and advisional place for others to get a non "recruiters" type view of what we do. I've met my best friends and have never wished for anything more than to continue the legacy of the Marines here, especially yourself. Without you, this place would be much different. We (but mostly yourself) have had the opportunity to mold the young mind and future generation of our Corps. I know personally the impact you've had on many and you may not be told enough

Keep hard charging and everything will fall into place. That bible passage I sent you cant sum it up any better. Godspeed and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your friendship and advice.

Isrowei
07-06-08, 02:24 PM
Dave, I'm not sure what more can be added. I think Al pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Thanks Al :)

Dave, no one can truly measure the effectiveness of one life. We live on in the people we've touched and helped and a part of us endures and succeeds even as they live and prosper. So much more so with Marines.

It's obvious that even in the short amount of time that you've had here with the Marines and poolees that you've made a difference. 720 letters is a small testament to a cadre of Marines who carry your mark on their lives at arguably the most formative part of their career... the beginning. I'd tell you it's something to be proud of, but you're not one so much for accolades. Especially self-serving ones :) But it is something we all respect.

And not only for the poolees, but you talk to the Marines. You gives us one of the most noble gifts a friend can give another: A listening ear. That's vital, Dave. As a friend, a mentor, a confidant, and most importantly, a fellow Marine, Thank you.

You've created a grand legacy for yourself here and shoes that will take some effort to fill (and will probably take multiple people :) ), but rest assured that it is not-unnoticed or definately unappreciated.

Semper Fidelis Marine.

davblay
07-09-08, 10:28 AM
To my great friends that posted here and in my private box, I thank you for your honest response. I hope none of you ever have to go thru a time when you're not sure of tomorow. Cancer has a away of making you second guess your usefulness to the ones you care the most about and you have to hear it every once in a while. I am sorry I burdened you with my bad few days I had there, thanks for your understanding and I know that I could have left myself open to redicule from some of the Marines on the site.

Now to put your mind at ease, I am doing pretty well, the doc said I am doing as well as can be expected and that If I take care of myslelf I might be aroud a few more years or at least months for you guys to take a stab at me, if you want!

They changed my meds, well some of them, so maybe this won't happen again, in the near future. It really means a lot to me to hear your kind works and suggestions and I will try to not let you down in the future without a notice that I am leaving you this time, for sure!

Oher wise I am here to stay, even if that ****es some people off, I am here for my friends and my pups!

Semper Fi,

Dave

Robert Browell
07-09-08, 11:01 AM
My Brother,rest assured that your friends are here for you!Now,cheer up and have a great day! Semper Fi, Brothers Forever!:flag:
To my great friends that posted here and in my private box, I thank you for your honest response. I hope none of you ever have to go thru a time when you're not sure of tomorow. Cancer has a away of making you second guess your usefulness to the ones you care the most about and you have to hear it every once in a while. I am sorry I burdened you with my bad few days I had there, thanks for your understanding and I know that I could have left myself open to redicule from some of the Marines on the site.

Now to put your mind at ease, I am doing pretty well, the doc said I am doing as well as can be expected and that If I take care of myslelf I might be aroud a few more years or at least months for you guys to take a stab at me, if you want!

They changed my meds, well some of them, so maybe this won't happen again, in the near future. It really means a lot to me to hear your kind works and suggestions and I will try to not let you down in the future without a notice that I am leaving you this time, for sure!

Oher wise I am here to stay, even if that ****es some people off, I am here for my friends and my pups!

Semper Fi,

Dave

jinelson
07-09-08, 11:23 AM
Dave you have done an outstanding job mentoring the pups and you have been a great help to me. Now hear this you are not going anywhere you do not have permission Marine. Now maintain your bearing and resume your mission OORAH!!!

Semper Fi brother

Jim

ecfree
07-09-08, 01:07 PM
Hey Dave,SHAPE UP,the Good Loard's not going to take you from us,untill your job is done.
We're all praying for you,Jar Head.
We got your back,Marine......:evilgrin:

sparkie
07-09-08, 05:58 PM
Dave,,,, If you EVER need to,,,,,,,,,, Call Me 702-438-0267. I'm there, Bro. {And I know a few things mental, No sweat}. After all,,, I have been declared sane,,, Or the VA wouldn't have let me out.

How many 'round here have been declared sane?

FistFu68
07-09-08, 06:19 PM
:evilgrin: I SURE THE FUC,HOPE SO SGT.SPARKIE? I WAS THINKING OF INVITING YOU WHITETAIL HUNTING DURING THE GUN SEASON.DON'T WANT AN "INSANE" TANGLEFOOT FUC WALKING BEHIND OR NEAR ME W/A 30.06!!!(LMAO) :D :iwo:

sparkie
07-09-08, 06:24 PM
No Worries, Fist. I would only be carrying a 308 Enfield. Next time you call me a tanglefoot, pucker up, and Kiss My Azz.

FistFu68
07-09-08, 06:38 PM
:evilgrin:(LMFAO) SMILE SO I CAN TELL WHICH 1 ??? :D :iwo:S/F

sparkie
07-09-08, 06:46 PM
The wet one,,, from your last visit,,,,, Now, quit comandeering Dave's thread.

FistFu68
07-09-08, 08:36 PM
:usmc: DAVE ENJOY'S HUMOR,AZZ-HOLE;LIGHTEN UP SGT.OF MARINES :cool::iwo:

Phantom Blooper
07-09-08, 08:54 PM
Dave,

SEMPER-FI! Keep up your good work! It keeps the mind,body and soul in shape! Your time is not up by a sawbones hand.....when your time is up on this earth you will march the streets of gold and only the Supreme Commandant the day,year,time and hour! Keep the faith and keep up the good job Marine!:beer:

:evilgrin: