PDA

View Full Version : On 4th, troops stay true to fight

thedrifter
07-05-08, 08:48 AM
On 4th, troops stay true to fight
Petraeus administers re-enlistment oath to 1,215 members of U.S. military in Iraq

By MIKE THARP, McClatchy
First published: Saturday, July 5, 2008
BAGHDAD -- The U.S. military in Iraq celebrated the Fourth of July with what it billed as "the largest re-enlistment ceremony ever held," and 1,215 soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen raised their hands and re-pledged allegiance to America.

Gen. David Petraeus, head of all Coalition forces in Iraq, administered the oath in Saddam Hussein's former Al-Faw Palace. John Phillip Sousa's marches blended with roars of "Freedom," "hooah" and "oorah" from the men and women, many of them carrying their weapons, as they re-upped in their service branches.

Money was an incentive for many, but so was a belief in what they're doing more than five years into a war far away from their homes. Hundreds were in their second and third tours in the combat zone.

"There's no place I'd rather be to celebrate America's birthday than here in Iraq," said Petraeus, who described the troops as "America's new 'Greatest Generation.' " The troops' commitment and sacrifice, he added, have given the Iraqi people "the most precious gift ... freedom."

Two Army master sergeants, Christine Frauendorfer, a dining hall inspector with the 76th Infantry Brigade Combat Team in Balad, and Debra Bradshaw, who manages a dining hall in Baghdad's International Zone, re-upped for two and three years, respectively. Frauendorfer, in the Army for 23 years, and Bradshaw, for 28, mentioned both financial and patriotic motives for their decision.

Frauendorfer said she raised her right hand "so I could do my part -- I feel they are making progress here." Added Bradshaw, on her second tour in Iraq, "The money ain't bad, but I'd rather deal with the situation over here than at home." She'll retire in 2011, and said when she gets older, "I want to have so many irons in the fire that I don't have to decide whether I can buy my medicine or pay my electric bill."

After the ceremony, in one of the late dictator's 99 palaces, the newly committed troops ate pizza and chocolate cake and drank Gatorade.

Ellie