PDA

View Full Version : A Celebration of America

thedrifter
07-05-08, 08:06 AM
A Celebration of America

By MAUREA SLEESMAN Hernando Today correspondent

The Tampa Tribune

Published: July 5, 2008

SPRING HILL - SPRING HILL - Northcliffe Baptist Church has a motto on its roadside sign and on its newsletter: "A Growing Family Sharing God's Love." In a special tribute to America, the church wants to demonstrate its motto and invites everyone to attend services tomorrow. The back-to-back church services are billed as "A Celebration of America Spectacular."

The 50-member adult choir will present a multimedia musical called "God Bless the USA" directed by Christian recording artist Tim Kaufman, who is Northcliffe's minister of music.

Two large multimedia screens will show portrayals of American small-town patriotic parades, soldiers' tombstones at Arlington National Cemetery, the Statue of Liberty, the U.S. Capitol building and other monuments. There also will be video and archival clips from World War II, the Korean, the Vietnam and Gulf wars, as well as present-day scenes of soldiers in Iraq.

The "Star Spangled Banner" and "America the Beautiful" will be played while lyrics displayed on screens with patriotic scenes in the background.

A special highlight of tomorrow's services will be the honoring of veterans, Kaufman said.

Guest speakers and honorees will include a special proclamation by U.S. Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, and District Director Shirley Anderson.

Especially touching will be the presence of the Lance Cpl. Brian R. Buesing Young Marines Color Guard, under the leadership of Commanding Officer Ron Gibson. Buesing was a local resident killed in service overseas -a brave and dedicated fallen soldier.

Commanding Officer Gibson said, "Young Brian's father and grandfather are decorated Marines, so it was his wish to follow in their footsteps. He was serving in Iraq two weeks when his unit was asked to help another, and Buesing was among the 13 killed in gunfire combat. His father and grandfather are involved in local Marines VFW activities, so it is altogether fitting that this color guard honors that service and such a fine young Marine who gave his life for our country."

When the Rev. Jerry Waugh, senior pastor at Northcliffe, leads in the prayer of our troops, standing next to him will be Laura Freeman, wife of Ray Freeman, a Black Hawk pilot now serving in Iraq. Waugh said, "I asked Laura to stand with me in order to put a face with the troops and their families for whom we are praying." Laura is seven months pregnant. Reports are that her husband is keeping close contact with her and his duties are continuing in safety.

Several large National flags will be draped along the balcony. "These flags have a very special meaning because they were given to us from families who were presented these flags by the military in tribute to services their loved one rendered."

The spacious Worship Center seats 1,100 and will display a plethora of red, white and blue bunting and smaller U.S. flags. The church has abundant parking and handicap accessibility and amenities. Sheriff's deputies will help direct traffic and parking.

Waugh frequently contributes columns to Hernando Today on Christian topics. Quoting from his July church newsletter article, he said of tomorrow's service, "I love and honor God first and most - but I also love and honor the place where God has placed me in this world. I have an immense appreciation for our troops and a deep sense of gratitude to all our veterans. Each Sunday at Northcliffe, we pray for our troops and their families.

"Although there are many things right with America, it is also important that we admit there are some things wrong with America. I doubt that anyone would argue that in the last 50-plus years, America has strayed from God."

"So this Fourth of July time, in addition to maybe cooking out or spending time with family and friends, also take time to ask God to help us become once again 'One nation under God.' ... I look forward to seeing you and your family at this inspirational celebration of America."

Ellie