View Full Version : Re-enlisting on the Fourth

thedrifter
07-05-08, 07:59 AM
July 5, 2008, 12:12AM
Re-enlisting on the Fourth
Money and duty lead many service members to extend their tours in Iraq

By MIKE THARP
Mcclatchy-tribune

BAGHDAD — The U.S. military in Iraq celebrated the Fourth of July with what it billed as "the largest re-enlistment ceremony ever held," and 1,215 soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen raised their hands and repledged allegiance to America.

Gen. David Petraeus, head of all Coalition forces in Iraq, administered the oath in Saddam Hussein's former Al-Faw Palace.

Money was an incentive for many but so was a belief in what they're doing more than five years into a war far away from their homes. Hundreds were in their second and third tours in the combat zone.

"There's no place I'd rather be to celebrate America's birthday than here in Iraq," said Petraeus, who described the troops as "America's new 'Greatest Generation.' " The troops' commitment and sacrifice, he added, have given the Iraqi people "the most precious gift ... freedom."

"The millions of dollars" they receive was certainly one motive, he said, "but no bonus, no matter the size, can compare with the sacrifices you make in Iraq or the sacrifices your loved ones make back home."

Army re-enlistment bonuses top out at $40,000, Navy at $75,000, Air Force at $60,000 and the Marines at $45,000. Re-enlistment bonuses signed up for in a combat zone become tax-free.

Two Army master sergeants, Christine Frauendorfer, a dining hall inspector with the 76th Infantry Brigade Combat Team in Balad, and Debra Bradshaw, who manages a dining hall in Baghdad's International Zone, reupped for two and three years, respectively.

Frauendorfer, in the Army for 23 years, and Bradshaw, for 28, mentioned both financial and patriotic motives for their decision.

Frauendorfer said she raised her right hand "so I could do my part — I feel they are making progress here."

Added Bradshaw, on her second tour in Iraq, "The money ain't bad, but I'd rather deal with the situation over here than at home."

Ellie