View Full Version : Base draws hundreds for concert, fireworks

thedrifter
07-05-08, 07:20 AM
Base draws hundreds for concert, fireworks
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
July 5, 2008 - 12:05AM
AMANDA HICKEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

It was a field full of red, white and blue.

As hundreds gathered at the W.P.T. Hill Field aboard Camp Lejeune to celebrate another year of being an American, the partriotic spirit was evident on red, white and blue chairs, shirts and blankets.

Richard Skolasky, 59, traveled from Branchville, S.C. to celebrate with his son, a Camp Lejeune Marine for a day of family time and great fireworks.

"I want my grandchildren, the two little ones, here to see them because they'll get scared and they'll run to me," said Skolasky who sported an American Flag hat. Family time was important, but remembering the imporantance of the day was just as important.

"Our troops are fighting for our freedom, and I respect them for it," said Skolasky, who is a Vietnam veteran.

LCpl. Britton Savage, 20, joked that he was at the field for only one reason - his wife woke him up and told him they were going.

"(I like) just seeing everyone together, celebrating together. It doesn't matter what rank, we're just celebrating our country," Savage said, while guarding a cooler full of water and soda from his toddler son.

Savage said Independence Day is a reminder of every thing the nation's Founding Fathers and those who have served in the military before him have gone through. Without their sacrifice, Savage said, "then my son wouldn't be here right now, I wouldn't be here right now."

Amanda Lenhart, 21, traveled from Stafford, Va. to spend the holiday with her sister, Sarah Boyd, 22, while Boyd's husband was out of town. The ladies were excited about seeing one of their favorite country music performers Lee Ann Womack on stage.

"We love country music," Lenhart said.

Like Skolasky, Boyd had the troops in mind while she celebrated July 4.

"It's special because my husband's in the military and I'm glad he's home this year," she said adding that he was deployed last year.

LCpl. Matt Boulden, 19, said W.P.T. Hill Field was a great spot to be on July 4.

"It's the Fourth of July, that's what (Camp Lejeune) known for," he said.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at ahickey@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8463. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie