PDA

View Full Version : PT question.

Bolt Action
07-04-08, 05:59 PM
So as it is right now, I do about 200 push-ups a day, 200 sit-ups, and run about 1.5 miles. With my weight around 200lbs how many should I do in a day? I don't want to have an advantage, but I want to be able to keep a regiment that will benefit me when I ship off to Parris Island.

What are some things that I can do to not only bring my weight down to about 190, but also build my upper body strength as well as expand my stamina for running?

anything would suffice.

thanks

englishm2265
07-04-08, 06:06 PM
So as it is right now, I do about 200 push-ups a day, 200 sit-ups, and run about 1.5 miles. With my weight around 200lbs how many should I do in a day? I don't want to have an advantage, but I want to be able to keep a regiment that will benefit me when I ship off to Parris Island.

What are some things that I can do to not only bring my weight down to about 190, but also build my upper body strength as well as expand my stamina for running?

anything would suffice.

thanks

Of course, I'm not an expert, but I would suggest increasing your time with cardio-exercises. Instead of just running, add jump rope, biking, or swimming to your running. And increasing the distance/time you run would also help. That, and a healthy diet, but that's a MUST on it's own, so yeah...

TSchultz
07-04-08, 06:20 PM
Search the forums. It's been asked.

CplKJSpevak
07-04-08, 06:38 PM
add Pull-ups and Dips to your workout, How fast do you run the 1 1/2 mile in?

onux16
07-05-08, 12:39 AM
Try running longer distances non-stop. The further you are able to run, the easier it will be to run shorter distances faster. Don't worry too much about lifting weights to build leg muscle; whatever muscle you need will be built as you run more often.

As for losing weight, here are some personal tips that may [or may not] work for you.
--try to cut out as much High Fructose Corn Syrup (also known as glucose-fructose) from your diet. Read the ingredients list on food products. To prove how difficult cutting it from your diet may be, here's an eye opener: it's in flavored beverages including Gatorade/Powerade and in most breads!
--avoid artificially flavored garbage, too. It's a proven fact that when you're craving sugar, consuming something with artificial sugar (ie, diet beverages, most flavored waters) does not actually satisfy you're body's want for something sweet.
--never skip a meal. In fact, it's recommended to eat more meals throughout the day at smaller portions. Even if you can't manage to eat meals due to your schedule, at least control your portions. It's going to be difficult to go cold turkey, so start with small steps. At your next meal, don't eat that second piece of chicken, use less ranch dressing on that salad, or leave a few spoons worth of those Fruity Pebbles in the bowl. This decrease in caloric intake helps with the weight loss with no effect to your overall energy.

--do not overdo the water. If you drink too much, you can dilute the acids in your body that break down food, causing you to bloat. And who wants to work out when bloated.
--lift weights, but avoid the heavy stuff. By keeping the weights at a moderate level, you'll build just enough muscle to keep yourself healthy and energetic without gaining much weight. The other benefit of additional muscle is an increase in long-term calorie-burning potential as well as a faster metabolism after after your workout.

I recommend the Men's Health and Men's Fitness magazines. I have been reading them for over a year now, and they have provided me with some health-improving tips that will work for anyone.

Pete0331
07-05-08, 01:09 AM
I don't want to have an advantage, but I want to be able to keep a regiment that will benefit me when I ship off to Parris Island.

Why not?

CH53MetalMan
07-05-08, 10:34 AM
Why not?

That's what I was thinking.

This is a competitive world, everyone else is trying to one-up the next guy. Like the Beatles song says - - "you've got to give the other fella hell"

If you can run 1.5 miles in little over 8 mins or less, you're all set. But you need to bang out more than 10 pullups, closer to 20 is even better.

What someone else said about building a solid base, by working up your distance, is indeed important.

Most important of all, know all the "general orders" before you go to boot camp. It will be one less thing you'll need to learn.

Bullpup
07-05-08, 06:09 PM
Run hills and run wind sprints. Run until you throw up and then run more. As far as upper body strength goes, do pull ups with a dumbell held between your feet. Twenty pounds should do. That will help.

Bolt Action
07-05-08, 09:32 PM
Thanks everybody, I'm going to try and run a little longer and see how that feels, I'll get back to you with my time. I'm going to do more to cut out the crap in my everyday diet. As for upper-body, i feel fine. I'm definitely going to get the Perfect-Pullup and try that 20 pound weight...

SGT7477
07-06-08, 07:09 PM
Get some,OOHRAH.

CplKJSpevak
07-06-08, 09:08 PM
Just make sure the Commandant gets HIS!

Backblast
07-07-08, 09:36 AM
With my weight around 200lbs how many should I do in a day?

How tall are you?

Do you know what the Marine Corps Daily Seven is?:iwo:

Pete0331
07-07-08, 12:07 PM
Thanks everybody, I'm going to try and run a little longer and see how that feels, I'll get back to you with my time. I'm going to do more to cut out the crap in my everyday diet. As for upper-body, i feel fine. I'm definitely going to get the Perfect-Pullup and try that 20 pound weight...

Who cares how it feels. It will hurt, but that the only way to get better.
I'll tell you right now, poolees don't run enough.
Run hills.

xpaz
07-08-08, 03:39 AM
The longer answer:

For weight loss: Get your diet in gear. Eat meat, eggs, vegetables, some fruits and some nuts. No dairy, no processed sugars.

Sprints will help you more than you think in regards to distance runs. Do maybe 2 days of Tabata sprints (hill runs are also great, as mentioned), aka HIIT, and a day or two of LSD runs. You don't have to run a 5K every day to have a good 5K time.

HIIT and intervals are far and away better for metabolic conditioning than endurance runs.

Do deadlifts and squats twice a week, if that. Combined with your runs and whatnot, you shouldn't be maxing out heavy more than twice a week. You need adequate time to rest. Deadlifts will help immensely in all aspects of fitness.

For pull-ups specifically, just Grease the Groove. Do about 75% of your maximum # of pull-ups 6-10 times throughout the day. Kipping pull-ups, believe it or not, will also help you get over some plateaus if you hit them with your dead-hangs.

For upper-body in general, I recommend training on gymnastics rings to just about everyone. If you're training push-ups, do them on rings. Pull-ups: do them on rings. Dips: do them on rings. The standard push-press is also fine, but honestly I doubt you need as much upper-body strength as you think you do.

If you're training all of these areas intensely, be sure you're getting enough sleep, and at least 2 rest days a week for recovery.

The shorter answer: Do CrossFit.