PDA

View Full Version : Bozo is gone

sparkie
07-04-08, 08:30 AM
LOS ANGELES, July 3 (UPI) -- Larry Harmon, known to millions of children as Bozo the Clown, died Thursday in Los Angeles. He was 83.

Harmon, who began playing Bozo in 1952 and later acquired all rights to the character, died of natural causes, his publicist said in a news release.
During a career of more than 50 years, Harmon not only played Bozo but also licensed consumer products featuring the trademark character. More than 200 others portrayed Bozo, including Willard Scott (http://www.upi.com/topic/Willard_Scott/), best known as the longtime weatherman on NBC's "Today" show.
Harmon was also a producer of television animation, including shows featuring Laurel and Hardy, Popeye and Mr. Magoo.
A graduate of the University of Southern California, Harmon once told an interviewer he created his own network of Bozo shows in local TV markets in the days before cable and satellite TV. Harmon once estimated that about 10,000 hours worth of Bozo shows were created by local, licensed TV productions and that more than 5,000 consumer products bore the clown's likeness.
Harmon's wife and longtime business partner, Susan Harmon, an executive at Larry Harmon Pictures in Hollywood, said he was "the most optimistic man I ever met."
"He always saw a bright side," she said. "He always had something good to say about everybody."
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2008/07/bozolarryharmon.jpg

yellowwing
07-04-08, 11:12 AM
"Bozo is gone", good he was too spooky for me!

Osotogary
07-05-08, 05:42 PM
....he was too spooky for me!
You got that right, Yellowwing.
For many years I was always pertrified of clowns. They weren't funny, they were scary...at least to me.
I overcame that fear by attacking. In other words, if I ever came across a scary clown I would attack the clown in my mind and take the fear factor out my head. Bozo the Clown never bothered me after that....at least I think so.
He did bring alot of happiness to the multitudes of kids and adults who took a liking to him. May he rest in peace.

CplKJSpevak
07-05-08, 06:48 PM
Dear God, All I can think of is Stephen King's "IT"

SgtHopperUSMC
07-05-08, 07:53 PM
I once was dressed as an evil clown in a haunted tunnel in Ironton Ohio for halloween. It was soooo fun. I have seen people pee their pants at the sight of the clown following them in the tunnel. Also laying in the fetal position on the floor. Ha ha ha ahahaha. :)

Marine84
07-05-08, 08:19 PM
Yeah.............he was pretty scarey for me too. I even have a refrigerator magnet that says "Can't Sleep - the clowns will eat me"

bootlace15
07-05-08, 09:12 PM
now where's bigalholmes...................

bootlace15 out

JRHD72
07-05-08, 11:34 PM
1 2 3 Blow.

sparkie
07-06-08, 09:45 AM
I don't get it. Why all the fear over my saturday morning friend? You people ain't right,

Was Capt. Kangaroo a problem for ya? Mr. Green Jeans give ya hell? Afraid to go to McDonalds?

Alpha1Devildog
07-06-08, 10:02 AM
I've always preferred Emmett Kelley, and well, Red Skelton played a clown/bumb Freddie the Freeloader I think. . .

SlaveToTheCorps
07-08-08, 09:31 AM
When I was a little girl my dad forced me to go to the show...I hated it...then at the end of the show, they did a meet & greet with the clown...I was so scared when he tried to 'hug' me I kicked him in his 'yoo-hoo'...my dad never took me back...

It is a shame though of his passing...I know plenty of people that loved his show...RIP Bozo...

yellowwing
07-08-08, 09:38 AM
Yeah well, whatever our issues with Bozo, Larry Harmon does leave a family to mourn his passing. RIP

(But that does remind me of plenty of Clown Funeral jokes.)

JRHD72
07-08-08, 02:40 PM
I wasn't pickin on BOZO. He use to have a game where 2 kids would blow a ping pong ball off the end of the table. It always started with 1 2 3 BLOW!

darkgreen0311
07-08-08, 04:23 PM
What was the name of the magician on Bozo?

:marine:Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

zx6rdr
07-08-08, 04:23 PM
:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Marine84
07-08-08, 09:45 PM
Dear God, All I can think of is Stephen King's "IT"

I don't know - ever since I saw Tim Curry in Rocky Horror - he just couldn't scare me much in anything after that.