PDA

View Full Version : Donora brothers on duty in Iraq - again.

thedrifter
07-04-08, 08:14 AM
Donora brothers on duty in Iraq - again. . .By Chris Buckley
VALLEY INDEPENDENT
Friday, July 4, 2008

Joanie Sestili was visiting her sister in the state of California when her son, William Brewer, called to tell her he had made a decision to join the Marines.

Days later, his brother, Andrew, called Sestili to inform her he had decided to become a leatherneck - unaware of his brother's decision.

"They decided if they were going to go, they might as well join the best," Sestili said. "I was nervous, but I support them."

Being the mother of two Marines who have been to war and back is not easy for the Donora woman.

Lance Cpl. William Brewer, 25, left for his first tour of duty in Iraq in January 2007.

His brother, Lance Cpl. Andrew Brewer, 27, left two months later.

While both Ringgold High School graduates spent five of their seven months in the country together, they never met up overseas.

Sestili admits she was "scared" during her sons' first deployment in Iraq. She had a fear of the unknown, noting that William's best friend in the company was killed during one of several firefights in which he was involved.

"When I would leave the house, I would look to see if there were any Marine cars in front," she said. "If the phone would ring late at nightÉ"

Sestili said she is a little more prepared for her sons' second deployment.

William left in April for Iraq. Andrew, who married Dec. 29, 2007, is heading there again at the end of this month.

"This time I know better," Sestili said. "I know what's going to go on. You're more prepared.

"But it doesn't get any easier."

Sestili said holidays are especially hard.

"On Mother's Day, Billy sent me two dozen roses and he called me. I cried. Andrew was doing desert training in California and called me. I cried.

"Part of the reason I cried is because when they do call you realize how much you miss them.

"And part is because you're just glad to hear from them."

Sestili has a third son, Jason Brewer, who will be 21 in August, and a stepson, Brandon Sestili, who will be 21 in December.

Although she went into the position with some trepidation, Sestili has embraced her role as a Marine mom.

As she speaks, Sestili dons a red Marines athletics shirt covered by a gray sweatshirt with the recognizable initials USMC printed across it.

Her wardrobe contains close to a dozen items emblazoned with the Marine logo.

And she wears a pin with two blue stars, a symbol for a mother of two sons serving their country.

Her home is easy to identify, with U.S. and Marine flags proudly displayed.

In retrospect, Sestili believes her sons made the right decision joining the Marines.

"They were never far from home and they've grown up," Sestili said.

"They understand the world. They've seen the devastation from war and understand what it takes to survive.

"I think it's the best thing they ever did."

Chris Buckley can be reached at cbuckley@tribweb.com or 724-684-2642.

Ellie