PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in Boot Camp

Future93
07-03-08, 06:05 PM
I was reading this months Leatherneck and it explained what recruits have to do in order to get the different swimming qualifications. I was wondering do you have to qualify every level lower to move up? For example, do you have to qualify 4th and 3rd class to get 2nd class or can you just say that you know how to swim and try for 2nd class right away? Does everybody start 4th and just move up? I know there has been other similar questions but they all just asked what to do if you can't swim and I am wondering what to do it you can swim.
Thanks,
James

sparkie
07-03-08, 06:10 PM
When I was in, You tested the first day, and was placed according to your capabilaties. BIG difference between those who could swim, and those who just sank.

Marine84
07-03-08, 06:27 PM
Don't worry honey - your Drill Instructors will tell you what to do and when to do it.

sparkie
07-03-08, 06:33 PM
Oh, 84, command me, Please.

BR34
07-03-08, 06:42 PM
It's one at a time. You can't skip nothing at boot camp.

ZSKI
07-03-08, 09:21 PM
Don't even think they might let you go past what you need to. When i was in boot unless you needed it you didn't go past 4.

Future93
07-03-08, 10:33 PM
Thank you, I appreciate the relpys, my question is answered.

Pete0331
07-03-08, 11:15 PM
Does everybody start 4th and just move up?

This was the way it was when I went through.

Old Marine
07-04-08, 07:55 AM
If you can tread water, you will have no problem.

yellowwing
07-04-08, 10:35 AM
If you can't tread water, get your ass to the nearest YMCA, ASAP. They will take a week in a non stress environment to teach you.

ttracker65
07-04-08, 10:46 AM
swim qual for a basic MOS is not a real concern if you do not sink like a rock. But if your MOS Qualification requires you to hold a certain level it can be a problem. An example would be 1833 Track's you have to be 2nd class or better if you are unable to Qualify 2nd class in the old day's they just sent you to Grunts but now days it can be a breach of contract. I have advised Poolees that are trying for such MOS's to spend up to 2 hours a day swimming in the ocean to get used to treading water and to get over fear since in almost all the testing the main problem is in being comfortable in the water in stressful situations with the exception of 4th class. Good luck on your future Marine Corps Career.

SgtHMH
07-04-08, 07:43 PM
You get in the pool they see if you can swim, then you tread water, then you pass that level. Then you get in full Combat Gear with rifle and get on the low board and go in and swim in full Combat Gear. Then if your good you are a 1st class swimmer, then if your real good you can go for CWSQ which you do some rescue and learn to do other things. Have fun and don't drown.

Semper Fi

yellowwing
07-04-08, 10:49 PM
I was in the pool 20 minutes. Max qualified then spent the next 6 hours sitting in the hot Carolina sun on gear watch. :(

Zulu 36
07-05-08, 07:21 AM
I was in the pool 20 minutes. Max qualified then spent the next 6 hours sitting in the hot Carolina sun on gear watch. :(

I didn't have this problem (beside the fact I went to SD). I've always been a weak swimmer and spent most of the pool time in the pool. I think I qualified as a 3, which I believe was the lowest back in 'dem days (1971). I was skinny, no fat, and sank like a stone. Now I'm fat and I still sink like a stone (recently requalified as a sinking stone).

Swim requal was always a challenge for me. I'd make it, but I had NO fun. I'd rather do back-to-back PFTs with a trip to the gas chamber in between. :sick:

Big Jim
07-05-08, 12:23 PM
You get in the pool they see if you can swim, then you tread water, then you pass that level. Then you get in full Combat Gear with rifle and get on the low board and go in and swim in full Combat Gear. Then if your good you are a 1st class swimmer, then if your real good you can go for CWSQ which you do some rescue and learn to do other things. Have fun and don't drown.

Semper Fi

I REMEMBER AS A 1ST CLASS SWIMMER YOU HAD TO TREAD WATER FOR 45 MINUTES WITH FULL COMBAT GEAR AND CREATE A MAKESHIFT LIFE PRESERVER OUT OF YOUR CAMMIE TROUSER BY TYING THE LEGS TOGETHER AND BLOWING THEM UP LIKE A BALLOON AND KEEP SPLASHING WATER ON THEM. THEN SWIM WITH THE BUTTERFLY SWIM AMD FROG-LEG KICK EFFECTIVELY ENOUGH TO PULL ANOTHER PERSON TO SAFETY...THATS WHAT I REMEMBER ANYWAY...

FistFu68
07-06-08, 12:46 PM
:evilgrin: DURING MY 'ERA IT WAS CALLED DROWN PROOFING,IN ICE COLD WATER;@THE INSTRUCTERS PUTTING US THROUGH SUM CHANGES :scared: :iwo:

SgtThrasher
07-06-08, 10:11 PM
Yea Big Jim,
In 1965 @Parris Island, they called it "Drown Proofing".With full combat gear the method we were taught was standing upright with arms crossed and head submerged,bent forward ,you controlled your breathing and uncrossed your arms and you would surface and breathe and repeat for 45 minutes.If you didn't pass drown proofing,you got dropped .Using their method you could stay hours in the water and we didn't tread water ,but merely relaxed and breathed slowly.Otherwise you tire and drown.:evilgrin:

sparkie
07-06-08, 10:25 PM
The dead mans crawel.........

Old Marine
07-07-08, 08:11 AM
When I attended Boot Camp, I do not remember anything even close to Swimming Qualification.

I do remember when I got to Tent Camp II that we had to jump off the 40 Ft. Tower. If you didn't want to jump, you were genely persuaded. It was foggy and you couldnt even see the pool below, so it wasn't a big deal. One hand over your package and the other over your nose and hope you hit feet first.

Old Marine
07-07-08, 08:14 AM
When I trained recruits they had to go into the pool with full combat gear, including dummy M-14 Rifles that were made of pot metal. Non swimmers had to wear their skivie shirts over their gear so that the instructors knew who to pull out. Anybody remember the dummy rifles?

sparkie
07-07-08, 08:26 AM
I remember that dummy rifle tied around your neck for a good long swim.

rkidd4
07-14-08, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know the qualification standards for the 2nd class?

Future93
07-14-08, 10:33 PM
According to Leatherneck Magazine the qualifications for 2nd class are:
"The second class water survival qualification is the highest level a recruit can obtain in boot camp. The qualification focuses on assisting an exhausted or wounded Marine to saftey while wearing full combat gear. After swimmimg 50 meters, recruits drag other recruits, simulating wounded Marines, 25 meters to earn the second class qualification."