PDA

View Full Version : Any PT Success Stories?

Tom88
07-03-08, 11:28 AM
I saw that post by Accord and found it highly motivating in terms of my PT. I'm 200 pounds even (only 9 pounds short of my weight/height limit to leave for bootcamp) and have an outlined workout plan with my recruiters for the next six to eight months for me to lose another 15 pounds or so. I've lost a good amount of weight before and been in decent shape, but have disappointingly slipped into a sedentary lifestyle in the last year.

I'm curious if anyone's seen any amazing transitions during or after bootcamp in terms of people seriously developing their strength or speed? I'm not particularly worried about my weight, I'm getting that squared away, but I do wonder how I'll eventually perform on PT runs and physical strength tests. Has anyone been able to completely turn themselves around or seen a fellow recruit do so even if they weren't super athletes in high school or prior to joining the Marines?

Thanks for any feedback.

BR34
07-03-08, 11:57 AM
Alright let's see. I went to bootcamp doing 10 pullups 100 crunches and ran my 1.5 mile IST in 13:20. (almost fell out of that run...I was in the back with the fat bodies, very embarassing)

My end of boot camp PFT was 16 pullups 100 crunches and 3 miles in 21:50.

My PFT at MOS school last year was 19 pullups 100 crunches and 3 miles in 20:30.

My last PFT (May 16 ) was 20 pullups 100 crunches and 3 miles in 20:50 (with a hurt leg)

But I wouldn't call it a success story until I hit the 3 miles in 19 minutes mark.

sscjoe
07-03-08, 12:03 PM
I went to PI on12/01/75 weighing 230 and left in 02/26/76 weighing in at 165. On my IST I had fat body #'s of 0 pullups, 44 situps and barely made the run. My final PFT #'s were 7 pullups, 75 situps and 21.3 3 mile run. I did not get PCP with those fatbody #'s probaly because my SDI S/sgt Warren and DIs Sgt Hayes and Sgt Ensminger gave me lots of IPT on the pullup bar and situps. The running took care of itself. Don't worry about the adde weight just be motivated and work hard and trust me someone will help you lose it.

danieljogbn
07-03-08, 12:41 PM
First of all, I am not overweight (I only weight 160 lbs). However, here is my accomplishment. When I first DEP'ed in (20071221), I could do only 3~4 pull ups, 96 sit ups, and 11 min 20 sec 1.5 mile run. As of today, my best IST is 19 pull ups/104 sit ups/10 min 50 sec 1.5 mile run. I'm still working hard to improve my run time, and get that 20 pull ups. Just motivate yourself and work hard. This is how I got to where I am right now.

-Poolee Jo

AndyBowman
07-03-08, 12:56 PM
Mine is similiar to Danieljogbn...i DEP'ed in at 155 (20071206) with 1 pullup...44 situps and 12:40 1.5 mile time. Now I am at 17 pullups, 100 situps and 10 minute 1.5 mile.

Tom88
07-03-08, 01:05 PM
Damn. That's all pretty impressive by my standards. My progress has been slow, but I'm working to run longer distances in varying degrees of heat and humidity. I would consider myself pretty lucky, since my recruiter(s) are highly motivated to work out with me and have me attend every pool function they have (I live in the DC area I think our next event is a trip to the Marine Museum! Good stuff!). All the recruiters in the office have reassured me that by the time I ship for bootcamp they'll have me in good shape so I'm not too worried. I was more curious than anything else as to people's experiences with being able to overcome a natural ability or lack thereof in terms of physical strength and speed. This is all good news and definitely has helped motivate me to get my pull ups and sit ups (or is it Marine style crunches/sit ups?) in those higher ranges. I know nothing can fully prepare me for the demands of bootcamp, but hopefully I'll be in good enough physical shape by then to minimize the shock to my system.

Thanks again!!

BR34
07-03-08, 03:11 PM
Yes, we call them crunches.

Honestly if you don't do spectacular in boot camp you shouldn't worry about it. Lot of people that are in tip top shape leave boot camp with scores lower than when they went. You will get the bare minimal amount of protein in boot camp and unless you're very under weight you won't gain much muscle.

The reason you hear so many stories of recruits improving so much in boot camp is because they were so nasty as civilians...there was no way they could possibly get any worse.

Just keep working at it Tom, your best PFTs will be when you're IN the fleet.

Sparkie Jr
07-03-08, 05:17 PM
I obviously have not gone to bootcamp yet, but im doing my own personal training by myself. I do sets of 15 pullups and pushups then sit ups. I'm trying to gain some speed on my three mile run, But i still havent timed myself. does anyone have any tips for me on improving my performance?

SlingerDun
07-03-08, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to gain some speed on my three mile run, But i still havent timed myself.Time yourself, then begin cross training. Sub a running session for humping bleachers or those baked Nevada hills, you don't even have to break stride during elevation training and your run times will improve due to stronger legs. Same with pull-ups, swap out a set or two for weight curls and no break in transition, you'll get hard quick enough.

--->Dave

sparkie
07-03-08, 05:36 PM
Try some Friggin Caps in your typing, { Too much time spent on instant messaging]. LOL.

ForeverChanged
07-03-08, 11:29 PM
Well back in May I weighed 270lb, and had begun talking to my Recruiter. At that time my IST score was 16:00 on the run, 45 crunches, and 0 pullups. Around June 1st I weighed roughly 220, 13:00 run, 52 crunches, and still 0 pullups. On June 30th I went to MEPS and ended up having to stay 3 days, but I got swore in and am now officially a Poolee. At this point in time I weigh 209, 12:30ish run, 60 crunches, and 3 pullups. It took a lot of discipline and *** busting, but if you put your mind to it, you can do it.