PDA

View Full Version : Lateral move to 03xx

idvs
07-03-08, 09:14 AM
Greetings all, first time post, though I've read various threads from time to time. I've got a question I'm sure plenty of you have input on:

I'm currently serving as a combat correspondent. I've been trying to get a combat tour for a long while now and each time I've received orders they've been rescinded for some pragmatic reason or another. The last time I spoke with my monitor, they told me my best chances of going were to separate and then activate from the IRR. (The issue I've been facing is that I am uniquely skilled for my MOS with technical and computer-related issues and tend to be assigned to small units where backfills aren't feasible.)

So, I'm separating soon (after four and a half years) and have been speaking with my prior service recruiter about going back in as soon as I can and deploying for Afghanistan. He said that while there isn't too much need for journalists over there (and I specifically noted that I do not want to be stuck behind the wire at a computer desk the entire deployment), some of the reserve companies headed out in the local area are hurting for 03xx Marines. I would have to re-train at SOI and then head straight for re-deployment training with the unit. Once I get back from Aghanistan, I would go back into the IRR.

Does anybody have any input or gouge regarding possible obstacles I'll face entering an infantry unit as a POG corporal? I've had a lot of experience deploying throughout southeast Asia, but that has all been humanitarian and disaster relief operations. Any help at all would be greatly appreciative, but please keep your criticism constructive. Thanks.

yellowwing
07-03-08, 09:37 AM
Welcome Aboard Marine!

There is a good prior discussion about this, Cpl going to ITB (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64924). Take a look and ask more questions. There's plenty of Grunts and SNCOs around to answer.

thewookie
07-03-08, 09:58 AM
Greetings all, first time post, though I've read various threads from time to time. I've got a question I'm sure plenty of you have input on:

I'm currently serving as a combat correspondent. I've been trying to get a combat tour for a long while now and each time I've received orders they've been rescinded for some pragmatic reason or another. The last time I spoke with my monitor, they told me my best chances of going were to separate and then activate from the IRR. (The issue I've been facing is that I am uniquely skilled for my MOS with technical and computer-related issues and tend to be assigned to small units where backfills aren't feasible.)

So, I'm separating soon (after four and a half years) and have been speaking with my prior service recruiter about going back in as soon as I can and deploying for Afghanistan. He said that while there isn't too much need for journalists over there (and I specifically noted that I do not want to be stuck behind the wire at a computer desk the entire deployment), some of the reserve companies headed out in the local area are hurting for 03xx Marines. I would have to re-train at SOI and then head straight for re-deployment training with the unit. Once I get back from Aghanistan, I would go back into the IRR.

Does anybody have any input or gouge regarding possible obstacles I'll face entering an infantry unit as a POG corporal? I've had a lot of experience deploying throughout southeast Asia, but that has all been humanitarian and disaster relief operations. Any help at all would be greatly appreciative, but please keep your criticism constructive. Thanks.

Thanks for your service.

Perform, perform, and perform.

That is your major obstacle from a troop standpoint, I can't speak to the logistics of it.

You're going to hear it at first. No matter how good or cool you are. But if you can deal the goods and perform when you need to then you'll get the respect you want, over time.

Suck up your pride in so far as your rank is concerned, and once you get to your unit go find some eager to teach Lance Corporals to help lock you on.

All your previous experience's should help you make the transition, but do not think you are going to impress anybody with that, until you earn respect based on your current performance.

Good luck

Semper Fi

idvs
07-03-08, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the link, Yellowwing.

It seems as though that NCO was asking about the impact of being such during ITB, which I'm unconcerned about (i.e. I know it will be a dank and enlightening experience.) My issue is precisely what caused some of the disparity amongst the grunts responding.

I'm not going to go into the 03xx field expecting I am a master of weapons, but I have seen a good amount of field work in my four and a half years and make up for my technical infantry experience with a strong amount of compassion for my troops and fellow Marines, a deep drive, and a healthy level of Marine-tested insanity.

All that to say, what I was wondering was how I could best ease that acceptance of myself into a grunt unit so that we can get over the awkward introductions (as necessary as they are) and start working together.

I know there's no substitute for practical experience, but I am planning on doing some comprehensive studying of all aspects of infantry knowledge so that I can better represent myself at ITB and as a new and untested NCO with my future unit.

Any thoughts?

idvs
07-03-08, 10:07 AM
Thanks for your service.

Perform, perform, and perform.

That is your major obstacle from a troop standpoint, I can't speak to the logistics of it.

You're going to hear it at first. No matter how good or cool you are. But if you can deal the goods and perform when you need to then you'll get the respect you want, over time.

Suck up your pride in so far as your rank is concerned, and once you get to your unit go find some eager to teach Lance Corporals to help lock you on.

All your previous experience's should help you make the transition, but do not think you are going to impress anybody with that, until you earn respect based on your current performance.

Good luck

Semper Fi

Thanks for the advice! Straight to the point and full of good points.

I don't plan on hailing my prior experience as some kind of self-adulating testament or anything. I know that for all the schools I've helped build and children I've hugged, it doesn't hold much weight when I'm crouched behind a weapon.

Once again, thanks for your input.

thewookie
07-03-08, 10:13 AM

I don't plan on hailing my prior experience as some kind of self-adulating testament or anything. I know that for all the schools I've helped build and children I've hugged, it doesn't hold much weight when I'm crouched behind a weapon.

Honestly, that stuff doesn't matter to an 18 year old grunt who is looking to you, and your rank, for leadership in a tough spot. You are correct to think that.

I was thinking though...if you go 03, once you finish SOI and then all the pre-deployment work-up stuff, you should be bonded pretty good with the Marines around you, so don't sweat it too much just work hard and it will pay off, and you'll get what your looking for..

But you gotta earn it....

Brewer0311
07-03-08, 01:54 PM
Honestly if your a reservist... You don't have to worry about anyone even knowing you were a journalist before you went to SOI. Most of those that are there will have gotten out already or just got there not long before you. The only way anyone would know is if you told or the rare chance someone in SOI is going to the same reserve unit.

To me personally i don't care what MOS you were before. If you get your SOI cert that says you are 03XX that means your a grunt and a Corporal. Enough said. You can take/give advice at any time. Anyone who wants to better themselves will ask questions. I had a Sergeant that got out and came back in. He was a mortarman and never did much with machine guns while he was in. A lot of us knew a lot more about machineguns than he did. He took the same classes and became proficient in them.

Your specific knowledge on one aspect or another doesn't change your rank. You can be lost in the dark about any given thing, but your still a Corporal and will be expected to act accordingly.

FistFu68
07-03-08, 02:30 PM
:usmc: GODSPEED MARINE~SAEPIUS EXERTUS~SEMPER FIDELIS~FRATER INFINITAS~~~~~~~~:usmc: :thumbup:

stacemonster81s
07-06-08, 05:12 AM
Greetings; this is one of my first posts on the forum. A little introduction, I'm an 0341 with 2nd Battalion 4th Marines out of Camp Pendleton, California. I've browsing these forums for a little over a year, but have just recently decided to become active in discussion.

idvs, I had the pleasure of interacting with a Combat Camera Marine while training in Thailand with the 31stMEU. We talked for a long time while on an unknown distance range, and had a good time shooting some rounds from my M4 (which he had previously not handled). He was in the same bind that you appear to be in; he desperately wanted to get into the fight, but his MOS and duty station had simply not allowed it.

idvs, as a Marine holding a squad leader billet I will tell you, any Marine (especially an NCO with 4 years experience in the Corps) who wants to get in the fight is more than welcome. 2/4 is slated for an Afghanistan deployment next go around. For those who haven't been checking in on it, our brothers in 1/6 and 2/7 have been getting into some serious stuff over there currently. I would encourage you to go to ITB, and come join us in the fight. We can always use a dedicated NCO such as yourself to teach and learn alongside more junior Marines. 'Rah.

idvs
07-12-08, 09:57 AM
idvs, as a Marine holding a squad leader billet I will tell you, any Marine (especially an NCO with 4 years experience in the Corps) who wants to get in the fight is more than welcome. 2/4 is slated for an Afghanistan deployment next go around. For those who haven't been checking in on it, our brothers in 1/6 and 2/7 have been getting into some serious stuff over there currently. I would encourage you to go to ITB, and come join us in the fight. We can always use a dedicated NCO such as yourself to teach and learn alongside more junior Marines. 'Rah.

What a great post! Thank you very much for your insight into the matter.

I think I'm going with 2/25 or 3/25 in November or February, respectively. If I end up going with 2/25, I think they'll be wrapping up pre-deployment training at the same time I'm finishing ITB. I'm not too comfortable joining the unit for the first time as they head for Afghanistan. It seems like I could get some great team-building time by training with them prior to.

SlingerDun
07-12-08, 06:19 PM
You wont have many buddies or be "one of them" for quite awhile, nor will you gain instant respect from wearing chevrons once you land in the infantry. yeah yeah you've heard it before

As thewookie tells you: Perform, perform, perform. The junior grunts don't care sh*t about how professionally you corresponded and some may hold you in contempt even to the point of sabotage. To them, all of them, you are new to THEIR trade. Eagle eyeing you hard to assess your skills and see if you will perform and pan out or be tagged as a pain in the ass with stripes. Basically it's gonna take months or more to gain their trust and that only seems to come from hard work and time.

Good Luck, your not Jurassic and don't appear crusty so you'll probably blend with the 03's eventually but their not like the guys and gals in the office, they're different

idvs
07-12-08, 07:43 PM
You wont have many buddies or be "one of them" for quite awhile, nor will you gain instant respect from wearing chevrons once you land in the infantry. yeah yeah you've heard it before

As thewookie tells you: Perform, perform, perform. The junior grunts don't care sh*t about how professionally you corresponded and some may hold you in contempt even to the point of sabotage. To them, all of them, you are new to THEIR trade. Eagle eyeing you hard to assess your skills and see if you will perform and pan out or be tagged as a pain in the ass with stripes. Basically it's gonna take months or more to gain their trust and that only seems to come from hard work and time.

Good Luck, your not Jurassic and don't appear crusty so you'll probably blend with the 03's eventually but their not like the guys and gals in the office, they're different

Thanks for the advice. I have spent two of my four years deployed, though, so I don't quite appreciate the condescension. Mind you, the only sights I had were through my camera, but at the same time I wasn't positioned behind a desk the whole time. Still, thanks for the honesty (even if brutal :beer:).

bgsuwoody
07-12-08, 08:29 PM

These words in bold should probably be dropped from your vocabulary in order to be successful around the grunt field. j/k...just sounds like a political science review. ;)

idvs
07-12-08, 09:56 PM
These words in bold should probably be dropped from your vocabulary in order to be successful around the grunt field. j/k...just sounds like a political science review. ;)

I know, I know. Even the other journalists tell me I'm a bit too verbose. That can't be good.

Still, get enough liquor in me and every noun, verb, and adjective turns into an expletive or a grunt. ;)

Brewer0311
07-12-08, 10:02 PM
I know, I know. Even the other journalists tell me I'm a bit too verbose. That can't be good.

Still, get enough liquor in me and every noun, verb, and adjective turns into an expletive or a grunt. ;)
What the hell did he jsut say??? Hold on I have to go find a dictionary. :marine:

idvs
07-12-08, 10:09 PM
Alright, alright! I'll shut up, haha!