View Full Version : Warriors of the past honored

thedrifter
07-03-08, 06:03 AM
Warriors of the past honored
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
July 2, 2008 - 8:08PM
JENNIFER HLAD
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Ancil McElmurray joined the Marine Corps in 1943 and served for 22 years -with an artillery and machine gun unit in World War II and with motor transport in Korea and Vietnam.

McElmurray is 83 now. But if he were 17, he said, "I'd go back in again."

McElmurray was one of a handful of service members honored Wednesday as "hardcore warriors" for their service in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

Col. Richard Flatau, commanding officer of Camp Lejeune, told the men gathered for the ceremony they are an inspiration to today's generation of service members.

"It's a great honor for me to be among you all," he said.

Paul O'Toole, a retired Marine colonel and member of the Camp Lejeune military retiree council, said the hardcore warrior program began last year when the council wanted to do something special for the annual retiree appreciation day. But the names of hardcore warriors kept coming in, he said.

"We do not mean to demean any other veteran or any other conflict," he said. "But I know of no other time in our history (where one group of people saw) such sustained, intense conflict."

Though 10 names were on the list Wednesday, only four of the veterans who served in all three conflicts were at the ceremony to be honored. One man accepted the certificate for his father, Capt. Robert Groom, who died May 27. Others were unable to attend because of medical reasons, O'Toole said.

Petty Officer 1st Class Arthur Thomas accepted an award inscribed with his and his wife's name. Chief Petty Officer Elizabeth "Betty" Thomas - a cryptology technician who helped break Japanese codes during World War II - died in 2002.

The pair is the first married couple to be honored as hardcore warriors, O'Toole said.

"No one can ever say your family didn't do your duty," he told Thomas.

McElmurray said he was proud to be able to receive the hardcore warrior proclamation and certificate.

"I loved the Marine Corps," he said. "When I was 17, I left a cotton field in Perry, Georgia, and found something better."

He said he had planned to serve 30 years in the Corps, but retired after 22 to help raise his family. McElmurray offered some advice for today's Marines.

"When you go into the Marine Corps, stand tall," he said. "You have to be a Marine 24 hours a day, lock, stock and barrel."

Hardcore warriors honored Wednesday:
Lt. Col. Claude W. Cooper, Army
1st Sgt. Raymond E. Dopf, Marine Corps
Capt. Robert W. Groom, Marine Corps
Maj. William H. Keith, Marine Corps
Sgt. Maj. Charles G. Koenig, Marine Corps
Gunnery Sgt. Ancil L. McElmurray, Marine Corps
Sgt. 1st Class William M. McNeill, Army
Petty Officer 1st Class Arthur H. Thomas and Chief Petty Officer Elizabeth E. Thomas, Navy
Sgt. Maj. Robert A. Younghans, Marine Corps

Contact interactive content editor Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie

thedrifter
07-03-08, 06:05 AM
Hardcore warrior proclamation
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
July 2, 2008 - 6:54PM

Hardcore Warrior proclamation

We do herby designate you to be a "Hardcore Warrior," to be titled as such from this day forward. You have demonstrated exceptional dedication, patriotism, and tenacity by your years of service to your nation. Through your actions, you have earned the title "Hardcore Warrior."

This great nation will continue to possess and enjoy its culture and freedoms only as long as patriots like you are willing to stand up and step forward to answer our nation's call to defend our way of life against all enemies, foreign and domestic. They must be willing to endure the hardships, put their lives on the line, and have the tenacity to win, just as you have.

You as a Hardcore Warrior not only stepped forward and answered our nation's call during World War II, which was significant in its own right, but you brought your skills and leadership forward when you answered our nation's subsequent calls to arms during the Korean and Vietnam conflicts as well.

You have borne the risks, endured the hardships, and made the sacrifices you knew were necessary to do your duty in service to our country. On behalf of a grateful nation, we acknowledge that you are a direct and significant contributor to the preservation of our way of life. This nation is forever in your debt, and your fellow veterans and citizens salute you and thank you for being a Hardcore Warrior.

Ellie