PDA

View Full Version : Marines with M3A1 "Greasegun's"

RON 68
07-02-08, 04:54 PM
If anybody can remember the base armory at Lejeune, and the one at Pendleton,I've been in both big arsed building's.

they had a bunch of old { at that time 1969/70} M3A1'S in the racks.if anybody can supply any Marine pic's of them.or Marine usage that would be great. since i did not have a camera with me at the time, when i was cleaning m-60's. and m-14's.I guess we still used them up and through the mid 90's. great gun it always worked.Ron 68 :marine:

Dave Coup
07-02-08, 07:29 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">My first duty station out of MOS School was with 2nd AT's at Lejeune. Got to fire the Grease Gun a couple times. That was the T.O. weapon for ONTOS guys. Fun to fire, hard to hit anything with it at over about 10 meters.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bruce59
07-02-08, 07:50 PM
In 1960, and 61 I was in 3rd Recon. this is what we carried.

Bruce
http:/wallofhonor.bravehost.com

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/images/m3sub.jpg

Backblast
07-03-08, 06:52 AM
That is a slick looking weapon. Wish I could have fired it.

ggyoung
07-03-08, 11:01 AM
That M-3 is one of the most wild weapons to fire. Damn they were fun. That was the T O weapon for S.P. artillery. We never got to Carey one but we did a lot of shooting them at 29 Palms. Fired the M-2 also. What was fun with that 50 cal is shooting at drones pulled be a Navy prop job. How about them days Sgt. Thrasher? Lots of fun at the stumps.

RON 68
07-03-08, 11:50 AM
looks like a guidelamp div. g.m. model. ww2 m3a1. also Ithaca made around 33,000 for the korean war, they will not win a beauty contest.but they always worked.kinda like Marine's. Ron 68

Bruce59
07-03-08, 01:39 PM
This gun cost the Government about $ 21.00 a piece. Made out of stamped medal, the barrel just screwed on,note the little tab under the barrel, that kept it from spinning off when fired. It was blow back operated, each round would blow back the bolt till you took your finger
off the trigger. The bolt had a hole in it so you could cock it, sites were fixed at 100 yards but the best way to fire it was to walk the rounds to the target, in other words hit the ground in front and walk them up to your target.

Bruce

RON 68
07-05-08, 11:17 AM
if anybody has any pics with Marines and the greasegun please send them,i have found a total of about three on the net.and when you do a search alot of weird stuff turns up.and thanks for the info Recon Marine.

Ron 68

FistFu68
07-05-08, 11:38 AM
:usmc: WHEN BEING DROPPED OF AT DIFFERENT L.Z'S, IN COUNTRY USED TOO SEE ALOT OF THEM LAYING VERY NEAR CREW SERVED WEAPONS;SUCH AS 81MM. MORTAR PIT'S AND THE SUCH.:usmc::thumbup:

Big Jim
07-05-08, 12:15 PM
If anybody can remember the base armory at Lejeune, and the one at Pendleton,I've been in both big arsed building's.

they had a bunch of old { at that time 1969/70} M3A1'S in the racks.if anybody can supply any Marine pic's of them.or Marine usage that would be great. since i did not have a camera with me at the time, when i was cleaning m-60's. and m-14's.I guess we still used them up and through the mid 90's. great gun it always worked.Ron 68 :marine:

HEY RON...JUST SOME FYI...I DON'T HOW IT WAS BACK IN 69/70 BUT I KNOW, FROM AT LEAST THE LATE 70'S, THAT CAMERAS AREN'T ALLOWED IN ANY MILITARY ARMORIES FOR OBVIOUS SECURITY REASONS.

BUT I'VE SEEN THE GREASE GUN ALONG WITH 8 TOMMY GUNS BEING FIRED ALTHOUGH I WASN'T ASKED TO FIRE IT MYSELF...IT WAS A CLUNKY THING MASSED PRODUCED OUT OF SHEET METAL AND WASN'T VERY ACCURATE OTHER THAN THROWING HOT LEAD DOWN RANGE IN A HURRY. I STILL WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE FIRED IT THOUGH...I DID GET TO SHOOT SOME OF THE TOMMY GUNS...REALLY FUN AND KICKED LIKE A MULE!! SURPRISINGLY STRONG WEAPONS RISE WHEN FIRING...GOOD STOPPING POWER TOO...

RON 68
07-05-08, 04:29 PM
I knew the camera thing for the armorie's.however i guarded the Pendleton one for awhile while in staging battalion before my plane to oki.{ when we had to go through some jungle warfare stuff before...

greensideout
07-05-08, 05:34 PM
if anybody has any pics with Marines and the greasegun please send them,i have found a total of about three on the net.and when you do a search alot of weird stuff turns up.and thanks for the info Recon Marine.

Ron 68

This photo by Dickey Chapelle was taken in Nam in '62. This is the first door gun in an HUS-1.

greensideout
07-05-08, 06:17 PM
All in one pic! The M-1 Garand, a Thompson, a shotgun and a BAR. Nam '62. Photo by Dickey Chapelle.

Zulu 36
07-05-08, 07:57 PM
During Vietnam in 1972, VMA-211 had 20 M3A1 grease guns. As I remember, they were for the pilots to use in the event of ground defense. Those of us who pulled pay guard duty were armed with one along with a .45 pistol. No photos, I checked.

I got to shoot them a bit in Nam and a lot more later in the Air Guard (along with the older M3). They were fun to shoot. Cinder blocks fell apart fast when hit with those slugs. However, the Thompson was a much more accurate sub-gun at 25-50 yards, as would be expected from closer part tolerances.

The M3A1 was still a good enough shooter within normal pistol use distances and put out a lot more firepower than a Colt .45. That is exactly what it was designed to be, a big .45 pistol with full-auto.

RON 68
07-06-08, 12:19 AM
green> thanks for the pic's. {i have not seen those early shots before}a Greasegun as a early door gun, outstanding!and Zulu 36 thanks for the info. i never thought of the gun that way a fullauto 45 pistol.that won't quit.yep the tommy was much better,and more costly.and more to maintain in the field. and you never want to take that trigger mech apart.the pivot plate is a bear.

the "Grease" will keep this old Salt happy.and when you run out of ammo. you can club them with it.even good ole Steve Mcqueen{ former Marine} liked them....

Ron 68