PDA

View Full Version : A life taken much too early

thedrifter
07-02-08, 10:22 AM
A life taken much too early

19-year-old Marine remembered, blood drive planned in his honor

John Moeur, Managing Editor

The laughter still resonates in the memories and hearts of those who knew 19-year-old Cameron Clark.

For many, he was the big, friendly guy who could swim with the best and had a great sense of humor and unquenchable curiosity about people and things. He was also a lance corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps - fearless and dedicated to his country. He had volunteered for duty in Iraq.

It all came to a sudden end May 29. The night before, Cam was riding his motorcycle in a local parking lot. Something went terribly wrong and he crashed. He died from his injuries the next day at Pitt Memorial Hospital.

Hundreds of people attended his wake and funeral. Thursday, the family hopes those friends will turn out to remember their son and brother by donating blood at a special American Red Cross blood drive at Kirkwood Adams Community Center from noon to 6 p.m.

For his mom, Diane Gordon, and his sister, Kayleigh Clark, Cam is still very much alive in their hearts and minds.

“Cameron was full of life. He never saw a stranger. If you weren't someone he knew, he was going to get to know you,” his mother remembers.

His sense of humor and laughter was infectious, Kayleigh explains. “You couldn't be around him for long without laughing.”

He loved movies and, as Kayleigh pointed out, had the uncanny ability to remember whole passages form a movie after seeing it only once. “It could drive you crazy if you were watching a movie with him and he could say the lines as it showed.”

Diane remembered how her son loved to eat. “In fact, I think he ate at everyone's house in Roanoke Rapids and then ours,” she said with a smile.

The decision to join the Marines came when Cam looked to the future. College was going to require financial assistance from Uncle Sam, Diane said.

Cam, who loved technology and computers, was looking at the Navy. Then one day he came home and said, “Hey Mom, what about the Marines?”

Diane took a deep breath and asked, what happened to the Navy? Cam replied, “But Mom, their (the Marines) uniforms are so much better.”

Diane reminded her son that the Marines were the first to fight. When that didn't change his mind, she told him she supported him - “I have your back.”

But to get into the Corps, life had to change for Cam.

He was a little on the hefty side and to take the Marine oath, he had to tip the scales at 195 pounds. He attacked the problem as only a dedicated Marine would. In less than six months, Cam dropped 50 pounds.

Kayleigh remembered how her brother would sleep and run in a sauna suit. “He would drive around in 90 degree heat without air-conditioning to lose weight.”

“He was very motivated and dedicated,” Diane said. “Cameron loved being a Marine ... He had his moments, I am sure, where he had his second thoughts, but he was so extremely motivated.”

That motivation and curiosity came at early age. Cam was all boy, prone to falling from fences and trees, his family remembers. He loved to take things apart, even though sometimes putting them back together didn't quite work.

His adventuresome spirit included pets. Besides the usual assortment of dogs and cats, he also owned iguanas, a snake and birds.

In the Marines, Cam excelled, earning top ratings for pistol and rifle shooting and working toward becoming a combat swim instructor.

He was trained in computers and communications. He was putting that aside to volunteer to go to Iraq and work convoy security. He planned on starting that training when he returned to Cherry Point in May.

That never happened.

Another of his long-held dreams was to own a motorcycle. Finally, he purchased a bike while on temporary duty here in Roanoke Rapids as a recruiting assistant.

His family tried to dissuade him from the motorcycle, but to no avail. “One of the happiest days in my son's life was when he signed the loan papers for that bike,” Diane remembers.

“It was just two weeks before the accident ... He made a mistake that night. No one can say exactly what Cameron was doing in the parking lot ... We don't really know what happened. He loved the speed and exhilaration, the adrenaline,” she said.

Kayleigh remembers her brother's Marine attitude - “He had no fear.”

The three had gone out to dinner that Wednesday evening. Cam was planning on meeting friends. Diane was going to choir practice. “He hugged me and told me he loved me ... He wanted to take one more ride before going back to base.”

The ride ended in tragedy. But for Diane and Kayleigh, the laughter and memories continue. They now hope others will join in honoring their Marine's memory and give the gift of life.

Ellie