PDA

View Full Version : Using your pockets?

Zapablast05
07-02-08, 12:19 AM
Ok, I tried searching for this question, but the search bar was of no avail. I remember seeing a part in Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click where 2 DI's were talking to a recruit and did this "Pizza......box" thing with their hands. I remember that the DI that said "I bungee jump every weekend," went through the recruits blouse pocket and he had a bible in there. Are you allowed to have anything in any of your pockets during Boot Camp?

Pete0331
07-02-08, 12:23 AM
Ok, I tried searching for this question, but the search bar was of no avail. I remember seeing a part in Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click where 2 DI's were talking to a recruit and did this "Pizza......box" thing with their hands. I remember that the DI that said "I bungee jump every weekend," went through the recruits blouse pocket and he had a bible in there. Are you allowed to have anything in any of your pockets during Boot Camp?

Yes, you will have plenty in your pockets.
Glow Strap
Pens
Recruit Knowledge
Etc.

As far as I know religious material must be kept in your footlocker unless attending services or during prayer time.

Zapablast05
07-02-08, 12:31 AM
Oh ok cool. So, in my case, hypothetically speaking..if I'm allowed to wear my retainers during the day and night and I choose to take my retainers off before we do something, will I be able to have the casing in my pocket?

BHABIT
07-02-08, 12:36 AM
AH...you're going to have a enlightening experience...

Zapablast05
07-02-08, 01:18 AM
How so?

BHABIT
07-02-08, 01:28 AM
Oh ok cool. So, in my case, hypothetically speaking..if I'm allowed to wear my retainers during the day and night and I choose to take my retainers off before we do something, will I be able to have the casing in my pocket?

The word "cool" will not exist when you become a recruit.... there are NO "hypotheticals" in the Corps... as a recruit you will always be "doing something". Additionally...worrying about your retainers and or your "casing" will be the least of your worries should you see combat.

BR34
07-02-08, 06:50 AM
Okay, if you don't want your retainer on the deck I suggest NOT putting it in your pocket. Anything you have in your pockets get emptied out during MCMAP and trips to the sand pits, etc. When you put it back in it might not leave a good taste in your mouth.

Use your pockets as much as possible in boot camp because the purpose of them after bootcamp (when not in the field) is to make I.P.s for you to get hit on when being inspected.

One thing for sure, make sure you don't rest your hands in your pockets! Might sound funny but you will get snapped up!

Old Marine
07-02-08, 07:49 AM
Never put on your Navy Gloves.

bgsuwoody
07-02-08, 08:00 AM
You'll also have canteens, and inksticks, and your cover, and all kinds of trash in there. You really are going to have no need for a retainer. **** you wont have enough time to remember it, and sure as hell will be too tired to give a **** cause you don't just get time whenever you want to do whatever you want. I am still surprised that some of you guys just dont get it. This place aint a ****ing USMC sleepover. It'll change your ****ing life and by the looks of it for the better

Zapablast05
07-03-08, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the replies and the help. I went to the dentist yesterday and they said that I'll have to wear my retainer for a whole year before I only have to sleep with it. I know about the IP's and about putting your hands in your pockets. But no disrespect bgsuwoody, but my mom didn't pay $6000 of her hard earned money to get my teeth straightened and then my teeth go back to the way they were before I had orthodontics because I wasn't "allowed" to wear my retainers. MEPS told me that the only way I'll get to have them is if it's required. I know that I won't get to do whatever whenever and I know boot camp will change my life and the whole "by the looks of it for the better" makes it sound like I don't care about anything. But thanks for the advice anyway.

SlingerDun
07-03-08, 04:36 PM
Now i'm speculating because i never saw a Marine or recruit wearing a retainer but it is a DMD prescription, could be treated similar to eyeglasses or hockey playing recruits with false teeth, wearing them when you see fit. Better bring a couple extras and a doctors note but keep it tucked away in you wallet and don't pull it out unless absolutely necessary. 6k in dental work is a nice gift.

--->Dave

ecfree
07-03-08, 04:39 PM
I don't know how it is now,but when I was in boot(PI),the pockets in our utilitys,were to be emty unless okayed by the DI.
I remember one day,a recruit in my squad had his hands in his pockets.Along came the SDI,out of nowere,and smacked the recruit on his elbow,with his swager stick.Got him on his funny bone,and the boot started doin a dance until he seen who did did it...:evilgrin:

That cost him 50 push ups,the rest of the platoon only did 25.

darkgreen0311
07-03-08, 04:50 PM
I don't remember carrying anything in my pockets.

:marine::flag: Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not question why but to do or die!!!

Whitey
07-03-08, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the replies and the help. I went to the dentist yesterday and they said that I'll have to wear my retainer for a whole year before I only have to sleep with it. I know about the IP's and about putting your hands in your pockets. But no disrespect bgsuwoody, but my mom didn't pay $6000 of her hard earned money to get my teeth straightened and then my teeth go back to the way they were before I had orthodontics because I wasn't "allowed" to wear my retainers. MEPS told me that the only way I'll get to have them is if it's required. I know that I won't get to do whatever whenever and I know boot camp will change my life and the whole "by the looks of it for the better" makes it sound like I don't care about anything. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Putting an emphasis on certain words can look VERY disrespectful.

truth be told, if your teeth go back.........you'll have free dental. you'll hear that many times throughout boot camp especially when the topic of the PFT comes up

Zapablast05
07-03-08, 08:13 PM
Putting an emphasis on certain words can look VERY
disrespectful.

My apologies then.

truth be told, if your teeth go back.........you'll have free dental. you'll hear that many times throughout boot camp especially when the topic of the PFT comes up

Free dental doesn't seem bad, but my recruiter told me that the dental coverage "sucks" and that it "has improved" from the last time he went. Something about fillings fall out and they used a lead-based mix for fillings; something like that.

Tom88
07-04-08, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine either way. I wore my retainer for a month or two, maybe, every other day after they took my braces off years ago and my teeth never went back to the way they were. In fact, my teeth are in pretty good shape and totally straight. Orthodontists always rag on you about that stuff, but nobody I've might ever wore braces and had their teeth mangle themselves back into disrepair. Haha... better safe than sorry though, I guess. :P