PDA

View Full Version : Thieves steal naval war plaques

thedrifter
07-01-08, 07:43 AM
Thieves steal naval war plaques

Thieves who desecrated a war memorial by stealing four plaques bearing the names of the war dead have been described as the "lowest of the low".

One bronze plaque was stolen from the naval war memorial on Plymouth Hoe, Devon, hours after a Veterans' Day event on Sunday.

Three more were stolen overnight and a fifth has been damaged.

Veterans and families of serving personnel have angrily condemned the callous thieves.

The plaques, which are valued at about £2,000 each, are currently being restored.
For someone to do this and try to sell it for scrap is just beyond words
Andy Mitchell, sculptor

Sculptor Andy Mitchell, who has been employed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) to carry out the restoration, discovered the second theft at about 0830 BST.

He said he was in a complete state of shock.

"It's just so sad and I just don't know what else to say," he told BBC News.

"My first priority is to contact the War Graves Commission to tell them what's happened."

Mr Mitchell said it was a very deliberate act, as the plaques were not easy to remove.

"The plaques have a list of marines who died serving their country and for someone to do this and try to sell it for scrap is just beyond words," he said.

"If the families get hold of whoever's responsible, I don't know what would happen."

Former Royal Marine Daniel "Dusty" Millar, 80, from Plympton, said it was impossible to comprehend the mindset of the thieves.

"It's outrageous that anyone could carry out such a wicked act which will cause such distress to the friends and families of our war heroes," he said.

James Cockburn, the stepfather of 21-year-old Plymouth Royal Marine Ben McBean, who lost an arm and a leg when a mine exploded during a patrol in Afghanistan said the thefts were "hideous and disgraceful".

Peter Francis, a spokesman for the CWGC, said he was shocked and disgusted.

Security measures

"To lose the first was bad enough, but what has happened overnight truly beggars belief," he said.

"We will definitely be taking steps to secure the remaining panels and will be writing to local authorities, asking them for help with this situation."

John Pentreath, the manager of the Devon Royal British Legion, said it was a "despicable act" and described the thieves as the "lowest of the low".

Police have appealed to anyone with information to contact them.

Ellie

Ghengis
07-01-08, 01:42 PM
For anyone interested here is a link to the local newspaper article
http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Disgraceful-thieves-steal-plaques-memorial/article-201577-detail/article.html

Perhaps to prevent a re-occurrence of this despicable act we could station some snipers around the area to discourage them

:mad:

AL49BGN
07-01-08, 01:48 PM
Just give me a couple of minutes alone with the Lads.

FistFu68
07-01-08, 01:57 PM
:usmc: THATS BEEN HAPPENING ALL OVER,ALL BRONZE IS A COATING 4 COPPER;BUT GOD DOES NOT LIKE THIEFS.EITHER DO I.BAD "KARMA"!!!:mad: :iwo:

Zulu 36
07-01-08, 03:58 PM
Thou shalt not desecrate any memorial to war dead. May their theiving fingers burn off - up past their eyeballs. Scumbags.

I once caught a drunk azzhole peeing on my old city's Vietnam Veteran's Memorial in the middle of the night. He resisted assault, I mean, arrest.

The judge sentenced him to scrub the entire Memorial down in soapy water, rinse, dry, polish the brass, AND it had to be done to my satisfaction. He had to bring his own cleaning gear, except the city provided a hose and the water. I made him go get liquid Brasso and Q-tips so he could shine the brightwork properly.

He did the job three times before I got bored. This was not a tiny memorial. There was a significant fine too, of course (the judge was an Army vet), and he was on probation for some time (the probation officer was an Army Vietnam vet). Dummy struck out all over.

I thought the punishment was better than jail, especially considering the Memorial needed a little sprucing up anyway. It did look good when he got done.

JRHD72
07-01-08, 07:34 PM
We should make make them conscientios objectors do something like that.

FistFu68
07-01-08, 07:47 PM
:usmc: Dam Good Job Sgt.Zulu I hope You hooked him up real Good :usmc::thumbup:

steve evans
07-13-08, 12:52 PM
We should shoot the twats in the testicles as far as I'm fecking concerned!