PDA

View Full Version : Will I know the election results at boot?

gobuffs10
07-01-08, 02:43 AM
I'm gonna be at boot camp during the election. Does anyone know if they are going to tell us the results? I know boot is going to be my focus, but I'd still like to know who is going to be leading me when I graduate in January.

Parks
07-01-08, 02:47 AM
And what about voting? I have to believe they'd let us vote, right?

yellowwing
07-01-08, 03:22 AM
Commander in Chief is part of the Chain of Command Knowledge. I'm sure they will let you know the changes.

Pete0331
07-01-08, 03:32 AM

Thats a very good question.

You will know who the newly elected POTUS will be.

jetdoc
07-01-08, 06:43 AM

That is a good question. Do you do an absentee ballot?

BR34
07-01-08, 06:50 AM
I found out who won the Superbowl while on the Island, I'm sure you'll find out about the CIC. The Chaplain is your friend!

Zulu 36
07-01-08, 06:51 AM

Apply for an absentee ballot as soon as you know your boot camp mailing address. Make sure you're registered to vote in your home state before you leave. You won't be able to vote otherwise. The ballet comes to you at boot camp, you fill it out during your ample free time, and mail it back the next day.

Get all the info you need for applying for the absentee ballot before leaving and have the address with you. If necessary, your family can mail you the application to complete, OR, if legally allowed, you can complete the app ahead of time at home, have a trusted family member write in your boot camp address once they have it, then they can mail in the app for you (this would be my first choice). Check with your local supervisor of elections for your options.

I'm sure you''ll know who won the election the day afterward. Unless Florida has a hanging chad issue again, that is.

Parks
07-01-08, 07:55 AM
Thank you! Y'all are marvelous. I can't imagine having to do this without people like y'all around to answer all these questions.

sparkie
07-01-08, 08:00 AM
The DIs keep you up on BIG news, for the most part. When I was in our DI wheeled his TV out of the hooch so we could watch the moon landing.
That was a treat.

Old Marine
07-01-08, 08:29 AM
You can retreive all the hot scoop you want from the third stool on the right.

gobuffs10
07-01-08, 01:59 PM
The DIs keep you up on BIG news, for the most part. When I was in our DI wheeled his TV out of the hooch so we could watch the moon landing.
That was a treat.

I bet that was pretty cool. That would be a surreal thing to see period, much less at boot camp.

Thanks everyone. Parks is right, without you all, many of us would be in trouble.

Someone told me to ask my recruiter about getting the absentee ballot stuff taken care of, I dunno. Guess I will have to ask him to find out.

RockSteady85
07-09-08, 08:51 AM
You have a right to vote, even in boot camp. All of your rights aren't stripped away entirely LOL. Definitely go for your absentee ballot as soon as you can. The sooner you get that sucker in, the better. And when I was at PI, we got to watch most of the Super Bowl on the tellie. Plus surely the people who write you will keep you updated on other goings-on around the world. You won't be entirely cut off, no worries :-)

davblay
07-09-08, 09:11 AM
Someone told me to ask my recruiter about getting the absentee ballot stuff taken care of, I dunno. Guess I will have to ask him to find out.

Poolees.......Poolees.....Poolees......sigh....... .use your head for something besides a Cover rack!! You know you're gonna be in MCRD during the elections........so ask the County elections Office in your county (that's one reason they are there) NOW.....don't wait until the last minute! Get this thing done if you want your vote to count, ok?

Absentee voting is quiet common these days, trust me!

Oh and to answer your question, yes you'll know who the new boss is!

Geeez...Poolees use your head......THINK!

Dave

egbutler1
07-09-08, 09:19 AM
You will know, you will have to recite you chain of command like 100 million times I remember standing outside the chow hall and my drill instructors yelling "Who is you commander in chief?" and we would all yell "The honorable Mr. Bush!" You will know, and by the way like many of the Marines have already stated, get that absentee ballot in asap. I had to vote via absentee ballot in 04 and **** I was deployed at the time. Well use your grape poolee and good luck.

Parks
07-09-08, 12:16 PM
The actual chain of command doesn't change until January, right? So we'll keep saying Bush is the President until then?

RockSteady85
07-09-08, 12:56 PM
The actual chain of command doesn't change until January, right? So we'll keep saying Bush is the President until then?

20 January 2009, to be exact. But I am sure the DIs will let recruits know who the new president-elect is regardless :)