PDA

View Full Version : Combat Photographer

cilayin
07-01-08, 12:19 AM
Hey, I'm new so please be gentle. haha

My brother just completed boot camp and he's actually going back for Combat Training tomorrow morning and I'm going to join..

But my question is I was thinking about becoming a Combat Photographer because I love photography and have been doing it for years and I was wondering if anyone knew this MOS in detail. Any help, thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

Pete0331
07-01-08, 01:14 AM
Hey, I'm new so please be gentle. haha

My brother just completed boot camp and he's actually going back for Combat Training tomorrow morning and I'm going to join..

But my question is I was thinking about becoming a Combat Photographer because I love photography and have been doing it for years and I was wondering if anyone knew this MOS in detail. Any help, thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

What do you want to know exactly?
They get attached out to various elements and take pictures of what is going on.

cilayin
07-01-08, 01:26 AM
Sorry, I knew I left something out.

Things like do they require you to use digital or film cameras. How exactly someone in that would get promoted... Is it like, "Oh you took this amazing photo and got a Pulitzer" or "Ya, you're pictures suck, you're not gettin' anything" haha. Um, do you have to pay for your own camera? Does the corps give you one, if they do what is it... Is there certain things that are considered like "Off limits"... Hmm I know I have more... But this will have to do for now until I remember more lol.

Pete0331
07-01-08, 01:44 AM
Sorry, I knew I left something out.

Things like do they require you to use digital or film cameras. How exactly someone in that would get promoted... Is it like, "Oh you took this amazing photo and got a Pulitzer" or "Ya, you're pictures suck, you're not gettin' anything" haha. Um, do you have to pay for your own camera? Does the corps give you one, if they do what is it... Is there certain things that are considered like "Off limits"... Hmm I know I have more... But this will have to do for now until I remember more lol.

The Corps issues cameras.
IIRC they use Canon.
Digital not film.
You are promoted the same way as any other MOS.
There are always things that are considered "Off Limits." They will clarify exactly what they are at MOS school.

cilayin
07-01-08, 02:00 AM
Thank you, and another few quick questions... Is it ok to send the photos I take to family or friends? I mean, as long as they're not "off limits" or do I have to like clear them with someone first. I'll also need a computer to like put the files on it and edit them, like changing the color, or removing dust and stuff like that. I know not to like alter the photo, like add stuff, you know haha but are there computers set up that I use, or do I have to or can I get my own, lets say a macbook pro, and use that.

Oh and I apologize if any of these questions seem trivial and pointless but... I'm just trying to learn everything I can and I thought this would be the best place.. You know? =] Oh and thank you for your time.

Pete0331
07-01-08, 02:07 AM
Thank you, and another few quick questions... Is it ok to send the photos I take to family or friends? I mean, as long as they're not "off limits" or do I have to like clear them with someone first. I'll also need a computer to like put the files on it and edit them, like changing the color, or removing dust and stuff like that. I know not to like alter the photo, like add stuff, you know haha but are there computers set up that I use, or do I have to or can I get my own, lets say a macbook pro, and use that.

Oh and I apologize if any of these questions seem trivial and pointless but... I'm just trying to learn everything I can and I thought this would be the best place.. You know? =] Oh and thank you for your time.

They issue all the gear you need.
The computers are all Microsoft OS based.
Because you are on the Marine Corps' time all the photos you take are government property.

gobuffs10
07-01-08, 02:00 PM
The computers are all Microsoft OS based.

As they ought to be.

Pete0331
07-01-08, 03:04 PM
As they ought to be.

No, 90% of professional photographers use Mac because it is easier to edit photos.
The Marine Corps doesn't do this because of continuity and networking issues.

gobuffs10
07-01-08, 03:26 PM
I said nothing of photography. I was speaking of the inferiority of everything Mac. Steve Jobs is a ****ing *****. Computers don't work because people don't know how to use them, and because of...

Pete0331
07-01-08, 03:43 PM
Very unprofessional. <br />
You need to fix your attitude and post only relevant info.

gobuffs10
07-01-08, 04:01 PM
Noted, Corporal. It was my belief that information on why Macs suck was relevant to the topic of computers for photo editing, but I appear to be mistaken.

gobuffs10
07-01-08, 04:14 PM
Sorry the above post was not meant to be a smart-ass post by the way. I thought the info I posted, minus the personal opinion, was relevant.