thedrifter
06-30-08, 08:04 AM
Softball game raises money for Toys for Tots
Intelligencer Journal
Published: Jun 30, 2008
00:02 EST
Lancaster

By MICHAEL YODER, staff writer

Joyce Jones knows the anguish of spending a Christmas without any presents to give to her children.

Many years ago, the public affairs officer for the Lancaster County detachment of the Marine Corps League was a single mother with not much money to spare during the holidays. Jones broke down in tears Sunday as she described at least two Christmases in which she didn't have toys to give her children.

So when Jones had the opportunity to help families in need by joining the Marine Toys for Tots program, she didn't hesitate.

Jones took on the massive task of organizing Sunday afternoon's charity softball game of "Marines vs. Local Celebrities" at Clipper Magazine Stadium, bringing in money to support Toys for Tots.

"I know what it's like, so to be able to have something like this (fundraiser) for families that can't afford to (buy presents) means so much," Jones said. "It's for the kids. Christmas is for kids, so that's what this is about."

Several hundred people attended Sunday's softball game, complete with numerous musical acts and door prizes.

The game had been in the works for more than a year. Toys for Tots program organizers felt they needed a supplemental fundraiser for the program before its "crunch time" from September to December.

Fundraising totals for the day were not immediately available.

The Marine team, made up of active-duty soldiers and League members, took on a group of local personalities from radio, television, government and public safety. The latter group included state Rep. John Bear, Lancaster city Police Chief Keith Sadler and Columbia District Judge Bob Herman, among others.

Between innings, fans were entertained by Gary Jones, an Elvis impersonator with gyrating hips and a bare chest who sang "Suspicious Minds," and local entertainer T. Marvin Williams performing "I Believe I Can Fly."

The "celebrities" won the seven-inning game 7-2, scoring four runs in the first inning, and never looked back.

Chief Sadler said he was happy he could participate in a benefit for Toys for Tots.

Sadler said he played high school baseball, but never had the opportunity to play on a professional field. He made a long fly out to left field in his first at-bat.

"I think the Phillies may call me up after Sept. 1," Sadler joked. "I'll have to get my agent to contact them and let them know I'd be available for home games. I can't go on the road, though."

The headline musical act was Jamey Johnson, a country music singer from Nashville who had a hit with his song "The Dollar."

Johnson was a little groggy before his performance, having come from a family wedding in Columbus, Ga., Saturday night, but he said he wanted to make sure he was at the fundraiser.

Johnson was in a Marine Reserve unit in Alabama for eight years, making Sunday's event even more special for him. He said everyone in his unit always looked forward to helping out for Toys for Tots during the holidays.

"It was one of the few times a year when you go to wear your dress blues and look important in a toy store," Johnson said.

Maj. Brian Murray, national vice president of operations for the Marines Toys for Tots Foundation, came from Virginia to take part. He said there are more than 650 campaign sites for the Toys for Tots program this year.

"If it wasn't for the generous people of the Lancaster area, a lot fewer children would have a happy holiday season," Murray said.

E-mail: myoder@lnpnews.com

Ellie